R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Newb Question-

I did RC cars a LONG time ago before nitro came into dominance. Thinking about getting back in. How much time is required to keep a vehicle running well(not race ready)? Do you have to tune every time you go out? Once a gallon?

Speaking of which can you pretty much just refule and go all day long with nitro or do you have to work on it durring your driving.... if so about how often.


Thanks
mongob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
stallen50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,209
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

once you get tuning down. Its easy, just takes time. You can run as long as you want to as long as you keep the temps in range and your receiver batteries don't fail.Once you get a good tune, then your pretty much good to go, maybe have to tweak it a little but if it gets hot or cold
stallen50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks, Are any brands easier or harder to work on?
mongob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallen50 View Post
once you get tuning down. Its easy, just takes time. You can run as long as you want to as long as you keep the temps in range and your receiver batteries don't fail.Once you get a good tune, then your pretty much good to go, maybe have to tweak it a little but if it gets hot or cold
may have to re-fuel every 7 to 10 minutes also
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Do-Over's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: O-H....I-O
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongob View Post
Thanks, Are any brands easier or harder to work on?
I hear some are easier than others but I suspect it's what your used to. I run AE and find it very easy to work on but I bet any brand is like that once you learn it.
__________________
AE RC8T, Futaba,A-Main by Massive Mods, Hitec,
JConcepts, Fastraxx Hobbies, Team Terribles,
Do-Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
may have to re-fuel every 7 to 10 minutes also
That is easy enough to live with. Better than having to go home and charge batteries for an hour.... If you look down in the for sale for what I am selling you will understand what I mean....
mongob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
I hear some are easier than others but I suspect it's what your used to. I run AE and find it very easy to work on but I bet any brand is like that once you learn it.
Thanks, I was a bit affraid of nitro because I dont want a hobby I have to tinker with endlessly, I just want to go out and drive. But I hate the idea of always waiting for batteries to charge.
mongob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
stallen50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,209
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

I would stick with the hobby shop brands like: AE, Mugen, Hot bodies, kyosho,losi. I might of forgot one or two. Just what ever brand you decide just stick with it and it will become very easy to work on. Its like run cars everyone has the own brand they like
stallen50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
Tech Addict
 
Do-Over's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: O-H....I-O
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallen50 View Post
I would stick with the hobby shop brands like: AE, Mugen, Hot bodies, kyosho,losi. I might of forgot one or two. Just what ever brand you decide just stick with it and it will become very easy to work on. Its like run cars everyone has the own brand they like
Forgot X-ray... As far as tinkering goes. I have a buddy with a Losi buggy that hasn't touched it in 4 gallons.... Thats with the original RTR engine and servo's. Most people won't believe me but thats a true story. Most require more tinkering but I actually enjoy that part of it. I at least inspect my rig after every race or practice. I.E. Cleaning and a good once over. Clutches can be a pain sometimes but I think a little tinkering is what I enjoy about the hobby.
__________________
AE RC8T, Futaba,A-Main by Massive Mods, Hitec,
JConcepts, Fastraxx Hobbies, Team Terribles,
Do-Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 29
Default losi 2.0

the rtr losi buggy is great i would change the servos but the engine is great . the only thing that ever happend to mine was i bent the front shock tower.
jsnhld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the info guys-

Trying to decide on a Losi XXL, Savage or A Savage Flux. Nitro isnt sounding as bad as I thought....
mongob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
Forgot X-ray... As far as tinkering goes. I have a buddy with a Losi buggy that hasn't touched it in 4 gallons.... Thats with the original RTR engine and servo's. Most people won't believe me but thats a true story. Most require more tinkering but I actually enjoy that part of it. I at least inspect my rig after every race or practice. I.E. Cleaning and a good once over. Clutches can be a pain sometimes but I think a little tinkering is what I enjoy about the hobby.


Not sure how much I will like tinkering.... time is my enemy.... sad part of having a job.
mongob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnhld View Post
the rtr losi buggy is great i would change the servos but the engine is great . the only thing that ever happend to mine was i bent the front shock tower.
Whats up with the servo? Too weak?
mongob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Tech Addict
 
Do-Over's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: O-H....I-O
Posts: 513
Default

I'm assuming your wanting to bash with the choices you've listed. If I can give you one piece of advice it's to spend a week reading forums and trying to get a grasp of this before you jump right in. You can learn a lot with very little research.
__________________
AE RC8T, Futaba,A-Main by Massive Mods, Hitec,
JConcepts, Fastraxx Hobbies, Team Terribles,
Do-Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 29
Default servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongob View Post
Whats up with the servo? Too weak?
yes, they are ok for bashing for a little bit, but the stock ones will go out at some point.
jsnhld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yes i'm a newb, question about my LiPo.. punkvixen Rookie Zone 12 01-25-2010 02:05 AM
Newb question about HSN/LSN/ISS on REVO 3.3 Willystylee Monster Trucks 6 06-26-2008 02:14 PM
newb question but can you drill holes in your fuel tank busta774 Nitro Off-Road 10 04-13-2008 08:44 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net