Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Maintenance/Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Buggy Maintenance/Tune up

Been out of the RC hobby for a few years and want to get my buggy running. Its a Hyper 8, and if I remember correctly the engine is a Novarossi .21 5-Port something something lol. I was gonna take it apart this weekend and clean it up. I left the piston at BDC, and no fuel in it. Anything special I should do aside from cleaning the air filter, new glow plug to get her running again? Should the shocks still be good or would a rebuild me a good idea? I am hoping my batteries are all still good. Any advice/tips/tricks are appreciated.

Thanks!
Joseph
Old 09-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Put some after run oil in it and loosen the engine up by hand, then clean the carb out and replace the fuel lines. Charge the batteries and rebuild the shocks, then fire it up and have fun.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Obzezzed350
Been out of the RC hobby for a few years and want to get my buggy running. Its a Hyper 8, and if I remember correctly the engine is a Novarossi .21 5-Port something something lol. I was gonna take it apart this weekend and clean it up. I left the piston at BDC, and no fuel in it. Anything special I should do aside from cleaning the air filter, new glow plug to get her running again? Should the shocks still be good or would a rebuild me a good idea? I am hoping my batteries are all still good. Any advice/tips/tricks are appreciated.

Thanks!
Joseph

if it were me.....
i would get the ipod out and clear a big spot on the workbench with my favorite beverage...
get a setup sheet and record all settings, motor comes off ,check clutch assy,replace clutch bell bearings. remove backing plate on engine,clean out inside with brake clean then using liberal amounts of my favorite aro (synthetic trans fluid for me) i would massage it into my crank bearings and up through the sleeve and let sit while i go through my diffs. all the screws i have that go into metal will be removed and reloctited. and check all others. cycle the receiver battery and make sure that it will hold close to the mah it is rated for,if not ,replace it. check all bearings, wheel,diffs,steering posts etc. and as jwm2 mentioned, replace the fuel lines.

Last edited by bpalmer; 09-30-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

For engine if stored properly I would say if its not seized or rough then no reason to diassasmble just maybe some after run oil before firing it up so it has some oil in it before dry starting. Also with the buggy if its been sitting flat, like off a stand just on its wheels for this long i would say a shock rebuild is needed badly and maybe even new springs if it was kept off ground on a stand etc I would say just rebuild them to be safe along with ur diffs aswell. When you bring back a used car thats hasnt ran in a few years i would say a tear down and rebuild would be nice just so you know whats new now and what it may need soon. The last thing you wanna do is buy some stuff to get back into racing and your car not being up to par and it just dont run resulting in one pissed off driver and possible just leaving the hobby for good.