R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Dumb question I should know the answer to...

OS VG and RG parts interchange? Specifically crankshafts? I have an OS VG that's a runner, but is getting tired(6+ gallons of hard running on it) and being an ABN engine, pinching is out.

I DO have a very nice RG with massive compression and still some pinch left, but it's not a rotostart-type of crank, where the VG and every other buggy I own is.

what are the odds of the VG crank fitting the RG case, allowing me to use my rotostart on it? VG crank is still good, very minimal wear on crankpin and as I'm not pro-level racing, but just club, I can deal with a slight amount of slop.

Or, does anyone know of a cheap place to get an RG-p crank?
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

ygpm
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storydude1 View Post
OS VG and RG parts interchange? Specifically crankshafts? I have an OS VG that's a runner, but is getting tired(6+ gallons of hard running on it) and being an ABN engine, pinching is out.

I DO have a very nice RG with massive compression and still some pinch left, but it's not a rotostart-type of crank, where the VG and every other buggy I own is.

what are the odds of the VG crank fitting the RG case, allowing me to use my rotostart on it? VG crank is still good, very minimal wear on crankpin and as I'm not pro-level racing, but just club, I can deal with a slight amount of slop.

Or, does anyone know of a cheap place to get an RG-p crank?
One option is that you CAN get it pinched - but I know you are looking for the rotostart. My first VG only got 2 gallons on it and needed to be rebuilt but also developed some problems that I sent in for warranty and got a brand new one. I preheat my VG EVERY time change the filter often and got almost 4.5 gallons on it before I pinched it. Still ran decent but idled a little funny - heard rumors that it's better to pinch before it's shot but who knows? Runs pretty much like new now. OSRocket did it for me and told me he's done those sleeves before. It came back tighter than stock but pinched about just right for a cheap sport motor. I'm on my second gallon since and it runs fine. That way you can have two engines still available for $20 investment!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr48 View Post
One option is that you CAN get it pinched - but I know you are looking for the rotostart. My first VG only got 2 gallons on it and needed to be rebuilt but also developed some problems that I sent in for warranty and got a brand new one. I preheat my VG EVERY time change the filter often and got almost 4.5 gallons on it before I pinched it. Still ran decent but idled a little funny - heard rumors that it's better to pinch before it's shot but who knows? Runs pretty much like new now. OSRocket did it for me and told me he's done those sleeves before. It came back tighter than stock but pinched about just right for a cheap sport motor. I'm on my second gallon since and it runs fine. That way you can have two engines still available for $20 investment!
Mine still runs great, it's just losing a little oompf and spooling up slower. I'll talk to a few people and see what is up with the pinching.
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote