R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Bighomedog11 Send a message via Yahoo to Bighomedog11
Default 3 in 1 oil question

Hey I am wondering sense i dont have any after burn oil. Can i use 3 in 1 oil instead? Will that do the same thing that the after burn oil will do? I am a newbie to nitro so i just want to make sure and i am trying to keep my engine it top condition
Bighomedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighomedog11 View Post
Hey I am wondering sense i dont have any after burn oil. Can i use 3 in 1 oil instead? Will that do the same thing that the after burn oil will do? I am a newbie to nitro so i just want to make sure and i am trying to keep my engine it top condition
i use it. after run oil is just oil just cost more. the only time i use it is when i store an engine for back up,

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i use it. after run oil is just oil just cost more. the only time i use it is when i store an engine for back up,
Thats what i thought.. Most of the little oils at the LHS are over priced.. Like i can get engine degreaser from Auto Zone.. Because its cheaper then my LHS probably.

But has your engine last for awhile by using 3 in 1?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just make sure before you start your engine to take the glow plug out and turn it over to get the stuff out and all or your plugs will burn up fast.

personally i dont use after run oil or anything unless my engine is sitting for over a month, it can mess up the silicon in the crank if to much gets on it and all.
Mugen MBX7 Eco / LRP / Airtronics M11x
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Oh, So basically only oil like once a week or soo then?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite

i only oil if its sitting for more than 3 weeks but if im running it within a week or two i just leave it. i havent had any problems, i get alot of life out of my engines.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i only oil if its sitting for more than 3 weeks but if im running it within a week or two i just leave it. i havent had any problems, i get alot of life out of my engines.
Alright, I might do that. Because i just want to get alot of life from my engine. And sense i am all new to nitro i dont really know whats a must and whats not.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

transmission fluid is the best after run oil you will ever find, and its CHEAP!
rodcpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (96%+)

Personally I never use after run oil. I always put my piston at the bottom of the stroke and leave it. If you ever tear your engine down the fuel leaves a good coating of oil on everything. If I have an engine sit for a while I will usually just pull the glow plug shoot wd40 down it then turn the engine by hand a couple times to make sure it's lubed for that first fire. Then spin it with the bump box to get the wd40 out. Put the plug in prime it and fire. In my opinion any type of after run oil is a scare tactic to make money. You don't put after run oil in your full size car or in your 2 stroke dirt bike or atv. Why in your 2 stroke r/c? After all that's all we are running and trust me the fuels these days have a wonderful lubricant package, if they didn't your engine wouldn't last long at 30,000 rpm.
Audiobahnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcpierce View Post
transmission fluid is the best after run oil you will ever find, and its CHEAP!
umm i think i will stick to the 3 in 1.

Unless somebody eles quotes on what you say.. Never heard of anybody using tranny fluid.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Suspended

After run oil is a good idea if you live in a humid climate, for storage longer than a week, or peace of mind.

Marvel Mystery Oi is a great alternative.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH SILICONE. It will fuse to your Glowplug and smoke it quick.
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiobahnaholic View Post
Personally I never use after run oil. I always put my piston at the bottom of the stroke and leave it. If you ever tear your engine down the fuel leaves a good coating of oil on everything. If I have an engine sit for a while I will usually just pull the glow plug shoot wd40 down it then turn the engine by hand a couple times to make sure it's lubed for that first fire. Then spin it with the bump box to get the wd40 out. Put the plug in prime it and fire. In my opinion any type of after run oil is a scare tactic to make money. You don't put after run oil in your full size car or in your 2 stroke dirt bike or atv. Why in your 2 stroke r/c? After all that's all we are running and trust me the fuels these days have a wonderful lubricant package, if they didn't your engine wouldn't last long at 30,000 rpm.
That is soo true about the dirtbikes and ATV.. I never put any kind of after run oil in my ATV and it runs very good. So basically i guess after run oil is just another way for the suppliers to make money

I guess its like this..
Wont hurt to use but not really needed.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Tech Elite

i know on trinity extech engines if you used after run oil the silicon would come out. its not good for the silicon, alot of people dont use any after run oil...
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiobahnaholic View Post
The issue is the nitromethane. You dont use that in your car, atv or dirt bike. The nitromethane is like a sponge for water, it attracts moisture, which comes rust. Also, if you dont use a fuel with a 100% synthetic oil package, they use castor. Castor oil can leave behind some pretty nasty stuff if left in there and allowed to set.
rodcpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
Tech Prophet

thats weird man i always used a couple of drops of after run oil and never had any problems with my engines when the outdoor season starts back up.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote