R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Truggy Opinions. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/437522-truggy-opinions.html)

Do-Over 09-24-2010 10:41 AM

Truggy Opinions.

I bought an RTR for my first go round and I have nothing against AE I really like it a lot. I'm going to buy a new kit here in a couple months and as I don't have experience with other mfg. or enough friends owning different brands to test drive them all I wanted some opinions from the people on here with what they run.

Things I want to learn:

X brand jumps very well, X brand has great corner speed, X brand is very durable.

Also: more specifically

X brand has more on/off power steering, or flys better....

I think you get the idea I've read thru the individual threads but wanted a place where all brands could be represented and a friendly discussion on them could be had.

So... just looking for individual's opinions on the different mfg.'s truggy lines. Thanks for reading and the feedback.

ScottyM 09-24-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Do-Over (Post 7981458)
I bought an RTR for my first go round and I have nothing against AE I really like it a lot. I'm going to buy a new kit here in a couple months and as I don't have experience with other mfg. or enough friends owning different brands to test drive them all I wanted some opinions from the people on here with what they run.

Things I want to learn:

X brand jumps very well, X brand has great corner speed, X brand is very durable.

Also: more specifically

X brand has more on/off power steering, or flys better....

I think you get the idea I've read thru the individual threads but wanted a place where all brands could be represented and a friendly discussion on them could be had.

So... just looking for individual's opinions on the different mfg.'s truggy lines. Thanks for reading and the feedback.

This has been done a million times, but $ for $ the HB D8T cannot be beat.. I bought one last winter, and assembled it.. When I was able to finally drive it I was amazed at how well it handled, and how little changes made big differences.. I was able to compare a Mugen 6T and the HB D8T, (they were my 2 final choices in a new truggy) back to back, and I couldn't tell much difference.. Need less to say I was very happy with my D8T, I raced it about 6 races last winter/spring, and all but about 3 races this summer. All plastics had similar wear to other trucks, and the alum parts were still in good shape..

I liked it enough I bought a buggy, which I am going to concentrate on for next year..

Good luck with your choice, what ever it is..

Slider30250 09-24-2010 11:12 AM

My vote is the Mugen MBX6T, it has tremendous steering both on and off power and has been very durable. Nothing has broken in numerous crashes I've been in and has some of the best quality you will find in a kit nowadays. It's very easy to control in the air and on the ground and is a very stable, very easy truck to drive fast.

token 09-24-2010 11:24 AM

This is the 300th truggy conversation.

TEAM LOSI 8T 2.0 with opt V2 Shock Tower has more on/off power steering, and I dont know what flys better mean.... All truggies and buggies jumps just fine if setup right and driven correctly.

So... just looking for individual's opinions on the different mfg.'s truggy:

TEAM LOSI 8T 2.0 with opt V2 Shock Tower

jwm2 09-24-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by token (Post 7981619)
This is the 300th truggy conversation.

TEAM LOSI 8T 2.0 with opt V2 Shock Tower has more on/off power steering, and I dont know what flys better mean.... All truggies and buggies jumps just fine if setup right and driven correctly.

So... just looking for individual's opinions on the different mfg.'s truggy:

TEAM LOSI 8T 2.0 with opt V2 Shock Tower

+1, with all the setups available for it and the wealth of information, its one of if not the most user friendly rigs you can own. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Do-Over 09-24-2010 11:48 AM

Apologies.

I apologize for the redundancy of the thread. I've been on here a few months and haven't seen one so I started this to help my choice. Thanks for your input.

I have heard people say that certain rigs "fly" better than others but I didn't know if there was any truth to that. So... I just thru it in there. I'm not a pro and doubt I will be anytime soon but I'm looking for the rig that's easiest to drive fast at a club level so maybe someday I could do something more!

Again thanks for your time and if you know of another thread that would help me please list it I never get what I'm looking for with the search feature, maybe I'm not doing it right.

deadmancourt 09-24-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Do-Over (Post 7981458)
I bought an RTR for my first go round and I have nothing against AE I really like it a lot. I'm going to buy a new kit here in a couple months and as I don't have experience with other mfg. or enough friends owning different brands to test drive them .

well as YOU said!...you have experience in the AE! so just upgrade your truck the the CE....it pretty much all boils down to what brand is most used around YOUR area, what brand does your local hobby shop carry alot of parts for!...cause these are the 2 most important things!...local help with setups and local help with parts!:nod:

JAMMINKRAZY 09-24-2010 12:09 PM

LOSI!!:D:D

Do-Over 09-24-2010 12:28 PM

I would prefer more detail on why you chose the rig you run but I would expect no less than LOSI and OS outta you JK! Thanks for that vibrant display all the same.

Andy Z 09-24-2010 12:34 PM

Around where I race, its not likely that you see everyone running the same buggy. Some people are runnings serpents, mugens, losi, kyosho.

But when it comes to truggy I would say almost everyone is running truggy, even if they are running a different brand buggy. It's not because of the part availability it is because its a good truck period.

I like to try different vehicles and run different things, but trust me when I say you can buy a race roller, switch the shock tower (dont NEED to but most would), mount your gear, and race.

There are a few AE's around and they run fine, but when you see people who can run whatever they want and they run a Losi truggy, theres a reason behind it. Try it and you will not regret it.

Sein 09-24-2010 12:38 PM

I also just started racing this year, and I got the 8t 2.0 RTR. Great truck overall and very durable. I had some pretty sick crashes and the only thing I broke was a shock cap, RTR has plastic caps but now I have aluminum.

As far as driving style of the 8t 2.0,to me, it's loose and i like that. Because it is loose I can drive it fast. I drove a friends associated and his was really tight feeling but he likes that.

As far as flight, i would say they are all pretty close but the 8t is a little longer and you can tell when you jump it, but again, I like the longer length. It gives it more stability in the air. It's not as twitchy, this is just my opinion.

deadmancourt 09-24-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Z (Post 7981864)
Around where I race, its not likely that you see everyone running the same buggy. Some people are runnings serpents, mugens, losi, kyosho.

But when it comes to truggy I would say almost everyone is running truggy, even if they are running a different brand buggy. It's not because of the part availability it is because its a good truck period.

I like to try different vehicles and run different things, but trust me when I say you can buy a race roller, switch the shock tower (dont NEED to but most would), mount your gear, and race.

There are a few AE's around and they run fine, but when you see people who can run whatever they want and they run a Losi truggy, theres a reason behind it. Try it and you will not regret it.

this is wayyyy to true:lol:....i just dont like to be the first to say it lol:lol:

pickle311 09-24-2010 12:47 PM

The popular choice in my area is Mugen. They flat out do everything very well. It jumps great, corners great, very durable, and they seem to last. I personally drive an Xray truggy and absolutely love it. It's very planted and fits me perfectly. Xray is known for quality and this kit lives up to it. It's not a very popular choice for some, but everyone here with them always seems to finish very well. What I really like about the Xray is the ability to easily change the cornering characteristics with the overdrive front gear.
I drove the Losi once and didn't really care for it though many seem to love it. You already know how the AE handles.

token 09-24-2010 12:57 PM

I think now in our hobby, unless you buy everything from the LHS, it dont matter what EVERYONE else is running. Just remember that you will need to stock parts. But getting people at the track to help you will not change as all the these truggies are similar and the characteristics are close. Not saying they are the same but the principles are the same.

But Losi is one of the best handling truggies out there, my second choice would be Mugen, which IMO after driving both trucks is way more aggressive than the smoothness of the Losi. They all are good. Its what you want. No such thing as "fly better".... Its all on how you drive.

deadmancourt 09-24-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by pickle311 (Post 7981912)
The popular choice in my area is Mugen. They flat out do everything very well. It jumps great, corners great, very durable, and they seem to last. I personally drive an Xray truggy and absolutely love it. It's very planted and fits me perfectly. Xray is known for quality and this kit lives up to it. It's not a very popular choice for some, but everyone here with them always seems to finish very well. What I really like about the Xray is the ability to easily change the cornering characteristics with the overdrive front gear.
I drove the Losi once and didn't really care for it though many seem to love it. You already know how the AE handles.

yeah i would say save your $ and put parts back into the truck you have!...its a good winning truck!......