R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
I would prefer more detail on why you chose the rig you run but I would expect no less than LOSI and OS outta you JK! Thanks for that vibrant display all the same.
Hehe. Let me see what I can do.

I run losi. In my opinion they are the best truggy on the market. They're quick and nimble while at the same time being very stable. They handle the bumps like no other truggy I've driven(I've driven pretty much all of them). They are also very consistent. It is very easy to turn consistent lap times with them. They can be driven in many different ways. I've seen people drive the piss out of their losi trucks and it seems like the truck keeps asking for more. Or you can drive them in a more smooth and laid back style. They can make you look like a much better driver than you really are(guilty as charged.). To me that says a lot.

Setup on losi trucks is pretty easy. Once you get a setup you like dialed in, they are very consistent from track to track. There aren't many changes required for different tracks. Pretty much show up and pick some tires that work and you'll be pretty set. Makes life very easy.

The losi truck is one of the toughest trucks around. I don't care what anyone says, they are damn tough. This is not to say that they don't have some weak points, as anything does, but in the general scheme of things, losi trucks are tough!

Parts and setup support is awesome. I don't think you'll find a hobby shop that doesn't do business with horizon hobby. Losi parts are everywhere. Probably second only to traxxass in parts support. The losi team is also great for support. They have team members all over the place and they're all very nice, helpful guys. Losi makes an awesome product and supports it even better.

The truck jumps well, turns well, handles the bumps awesome, accelerates like crazy and is tough. What more could you ask for? IMO, hands down the best truggy on the market.

I guess that about sums it up. Sorry for writing a book. I can safely say that there isn't another truggy that I would want to run . I hope you give it a shot so you can see how awesome it is for yourself.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
Tech Addict

I have definitely considered just buying the CE version of my truck. I'm sure it's gotta be lighter than my RTR I weighed it on fish scales the other day at race weight, fuel, etc... it was over 10 pounds. This seems high to me. Thanks for clearing up the "fly" comment. I've just seen too many times people say X brand jumps higher and farther than another brand. I definitely want a kit as I think I'll learn a lot from building it. That's not to say a race roller is out of the question I just have a lot to learn about suspension geometry. I have the drivetrain figured out for the most part but I really don't know how to dial in the suspension. I just glance down and seen JK wrote me a book as I'm writing this so If you covered any of this sorry.

Not to say I haven't done some set-up. I just don't feel much of a difference. I think the truck is heavy and just always feels that way. Again, I'm speaking of the RTR.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Tech Addict

I should add that it could be just my inexperience as a driver that is holding me back. I'm sure any platform can be fast I'm just wondering what each does well so i can fit to what I do well... and don't do well....
Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Wow, over 10 lbs..something weird there. My RC8T is 9lbs 4oz ready to race. I still love my RC8T, it's fast, nimble and easy to drive. It's also one of the toughest truggies I know of, ( aside from a couple of parts ) I've pumped over 30 gallons through it, and just had my first differential failure..pretty impressive if you ask me. I also drive the piss out of mine, I put so much fuel through mine that it would take 4 other guys in our club to consume the same amount of nitro as I do alone. I can safely say, even with all the miles I put on it, it still breaks less than others. Quite a testament to AE if you ask me. It's also one of the easiest truggies to work on. Buy the CE, and use the RTR for spare parts.

*note: it's hard to buy a bad truggy nowadays, as long as you stick to the popular race platforms, they are all capable of podium finishes in the right hands. You can setup any of these machines to win, as long as the setup fits your driving style. People sometimes try their friends' RC, and they don't like how it handles, so they assume that the machine is poor, when in fact, the setup didn't work for them, and not the car itself. Driving your buddy's RC may give you an idea of it's potential, it can also be very misleading if the setup is wrong for you, leaving you with a negative impression of a potentially great machine.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Maybe the scales are off. Maybe the RTR is that much heavier. It feels heavy to me compared to my friends M-spec. I have a friend who has a 1.0 too but I rarely see him and he's not the type to let me try it anyway. I'm still waiting to try the M-spec also he said I could just didn't have it the other day only brought his buggy.

I'm strongly considering the CE Nitro don't think I have anything against AE. I don't. I like my truck just not sure if it's the best for me. Anyone could understand that, just trying to do some research, homework.

I'm sure the kit is better than the RTR also I really don't think I'm getting the most AE has to offer with this one. I'm still up in the air tho. So many options and they all seem so promising.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

buy the CE and use the RTR for spare parts!....it is a CHAMPION truck!....and its a kit(i think lol)so you will be able to learn how to put it together from scratch!
RcRenew.com and TritonRc.com~Lucky7~Eazyrc.com
Venom-Group~Upgrade-Rc and TrackstarRc.com
deadmancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
Tech Addict

It's partially assembled but a kit for the most part. I'm pretty torn between CE, 8t, and Mugen/Xray right now and I'll tell you why. I like my truggy so I think the kit will just be better. I see many people running Losi so I assume it must be great. And then Mugen/Xray, I put them together because most people when talking about them say they are the most high quality and put them in the same category. I also hear they're very light and light usually means fast. Feel free to call me an idiot cause I know I'm still learning. I would prefer constructive criticism tho.

This is just a sum up of my general thinking. It goes much deeper than this but I have to be somewhere in 10 mins.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Its a Championship truck for people who knows how to turn a lap with out donkey flipping across 3 lanes. Its hard to compare how a truck runs in the hands of people that race it for a living vs. people that runs sportsman. Just remember it will not perform for you like it performs for them. They dont crash hard, they dont over shoot jumps so far that the chassis slaps the ground and bounces 4 feet into the air. They dont nose plant the truck on the other side of the fence into the neighbors brick lined flower box. Point is, this is how alot of people drive and then they cry when they break...... So Championship dont mean squat if you cant drive. All season long and with Nats here, it was a LONG season, I have broke one hinge pin, THATS IT. And i have my truck doing all kinds of gymnastics on the track. The losi is a tough truck... Cant say the same for a few other manufactures. just sayin........
Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Ok, here's another set of opinions:

Losi: Handles great, tough. Parts wear is a little higher than most other brands, BUT, parts are cheap so cost is the same... just a little more effort to maintain.

Mugen: Similar performance, longer-lasting parts, cost is a little higher.

XRAY: XRAY is to Mugen what Mugen is to LOSI. Even longer life, price of entry is even more.

The AE can be as good as any of those. It depends on driver and setup...

The 2 things that will do more to make you faster than anything else are STICK TIME and GOOD TIRES.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I will never judge the longevity of a platform by stating how many "seasons of racing" I put on it..the only real way to judge it is by stating how many gallons it has seen., cause that's what counts, gallons, not seasons.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #26
Tech Master

Kyosho STRR destroyed the competition at the Nationals in Colorado... nuff said

(competitors are still copying the geometery )
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Actually Jared Tebo destroyed the competition... But you know that pitpop.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #28
Tech Addict

I understand what your saying Token. But I'm not the average basher turned racer I'm patient and don't push a line or speed that is above my ability. I've raced motocross for years on 2 and 4 wheels and understand how offroad lines feel and have a lot of basic mechanics down. This is not to say I don't wreck, everyone wrecks, if your not wrecking your not racing or pushing yourself in my opinion. I live by the slow is fast motto and try to improve as my ability allows it. Right now I feel like I'm fighting my truck around the track as opposed to driving it and trying to improve my speed. This is probably my set up or maybe my gear. I think I could improve the feel of my Tx and my clutch is too punchy. I'm going to order a new clutch set up tomorrow. I have a month or two before I'm ready to order my new kit so I'm going to keep working on this for now. By the way my truck has been super durable no complaints there.

All I really want to know is the driving characteristics of the different Mfgs. I know they can all be competitive and can be set up differently, but it seems that some do certain things better than others from what I've read. I'm just looking for the best to play to my strengths and smooth out my weaknesses. This could be wrong I don't know. Everyone has been very helpful and I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for your time,
Rich
Old 09-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Ok, here's another set of opinions:

Losi: Handles great, tough. Parts wear is a little higher than most other brands, BUT, parts are cheap so cost is the same... just a little more effort to maintain.

Mugen: Similar performance, longer-lasting parts, cost is a little higher.

XRAY: XRAY is to Mugen what Mugen is to LOSI. Even longer life, price of entry is even more.

The AE can be as good as any of those. It depends on driver and setup...

The 2 things that will do more to make you faster than anything else are STICK TIME and GOOD TIRES.
This is just the kinda thing I've been looking for thank you very much DOMIT!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Mbx6t.... Enuff said.... Truly the best truggy on the market... If you losi guys drove a mugen youR lap times would drop..... Hehehe
2012 DRC Winter Series Inter. Truggy Champ*
Daryl Wright aka "thefastblackman"
Teccmoney is offline   Reply With Quote