Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallot View Post
Lipo charged to 50% can sit on the shelf over a year without any damage.
thats BS. I've had lipos that ive charged with a balancer in "store mode" and 4 months later it was puffed. not saying it will happen every time but it does happen. even my E-Flight Blade MCX that runs those little 1s packs puffed after a few months of storage.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromoly View Post
Hmm, you must have some interesting phones 'cause I just checked 8 different cell phones and every single one used Li-Ion batteries, I have yet to see any phones use LiPo cells in them.
Almost all of the phones I have checked, uses Li-Po batteries. Even Apple iPhone uses Li-Po. I know their site says Li-ion, but Wikipedia and pictures of the battery, says Lithium-Ion Polymer (= LiPo).
The MacBook Pro uses LiPo, the Kindle and so on.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
thats BS. I've had lipos that ive charged with a balancer in "store mode" and 4 months later it was puffed. not saying it will happen every time but it does happen. even my E-Flight Blade MCX that runs those little 1s packs puffed after a few months of storage.
Well I don't have storage-mode, but I never had any problems. I just checked my 1:10 TC battery from last winter, and it is still fine. I haven't touched it since my last race. It was fully charged, then ran 2 heats and then I haven't touched it since.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
Well I don't have storage-mode, but I never had any problems. I just checked my 1:10 TC battery from last winter, and it is still fine. I haven't touched it since my last race. It was fully charged, then ran 2 heats and then I haven't touched it since.
like i said not all are junk.. just MOST. im sure if your racing TC you bought some good packs.

if you can tell i just dont like them... i spent alot of dollars on lipos over the years and ive had some good ones but most of them ended their life premature in the same way. I just dont see the advantage anymore when compared to LiFe. the lipos are more money and less durable. its a no brainier if you ask me.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hmmm

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=...w=1345&bih=539
sluggo_sx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Lipo's are pretty harmless when treated properly, however there is always some danger of failure with anything, and if it happens to a lipo it can be very dangerous. I keep all my lipo's stored in Lipo-Sac type charging bags. Just a smart thing to do.

I haven't had any trouble with most of the lipo's I've used. I use hyperion chargers and put all of my batteries in Store mode when they're not going to be used for a couple weeks or more. As long as you're using high quality cells you shouldn't have any issues with them discharging while being stored. The only time I've had one puff in storage mode was with a crappy MaxAmps battery(worst quality, and most overpriced batteries you can buy). All of my Thunder Power, Losi and even ProTek batteries have been perfectly safe in store mode. I still keep them in lipo bags though.

Anyway as for the Ignitor, I don't own the lipo one, but a buddy does and I've used his. Personally I MUCH prefer Big Burtha AKA the hobbico Super Hot Shot 2. The Hot Shot means business. It will easily last a month on a charge, and will start engines that other ignitors wouldn't even dream of. It doesn't really matter if the plug is dead or not, the Super Hot Shot WILL start it.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I race indoors October-April, and outdoors April - October. Have ton of lipos and they always spend half a year sitting on a shelf without any notable discharge. It is all about using at least decent quality packs.

I even have few packs that I bough last year and have not used and they are still ok.

//edit - and btw I had nimh pack explode. it is all about how you treat you batteries
Sakura Zero S - LRP Quantum, Saturn 20T
KoPropo Eurus

Last edited by wallot; 09-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.
wallot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
ding ding ding...

AND! I never said charging them was the problem. the problem is too many defective cell from the factories. defective cells has nothing to do with user error. junk is junk and most lipo manufactures produce junk. not saying all lipos manufactures are junk but most of the re-bagged ones on the market are pumped out with very low quality control standards.

or how about storage during the off season? I know when racing is slow i tend to forget about my gear and unattended lipos sitting in your home IS UNSAFE. these batteries are know to lose there charge while not being used.... well guess what that battery will over discharge, puff up, and possibly cause a fire. a yr ago i would have said lipos are no problem, and ive seen pits burn to the ground cause of a lipo..... after your running out of your house with shit on fire you learn a quick lesson that it can happen to you. my 0.2

Guess Hyundai is begging for trouble?

Quote:
Additional good news arrives in the form of the Sonata Hybridís LiPo battery pack. It may have cost more than a nickel metal hydride solution, but Hyundai claims that the magazine-like prismatic cells offer greater robustness and lighter weight than other batteries. Compared to the yestertech NiMH pack in the Toyota Camry Hybrid, Hyundai claims that its 1.4 kilowatt-hour pack is 20-30 percent lighter, 40 percent smaller, and a tenth more efficient. You might expect for this to pay dividends in the area of cargo capacity (the batteries are located in the trunk), but in truth, the Hyundaiís 10.7 cubic-foot trunk is still dramatically smaller than that of a gas-only Sonata (16.4 cubes) and itís about the same size as its competitors. Even if the flat-pack configuration doesnít help free up more luggage space, Hyundai says the cells have improved thermal efficiency to help prolong life Ė the companyís durability targets for the pack stands at 10+ years and 150,000 miles.
http://www.cafi.info/first-drive-201...sonata-hybrid/

1.4 KwHr. That's a big pack.

Even better is WHERE they got the cells from...
Quote:
South Korea-based SK Energy Co. will provide Li-ion batteries (earlier post) to Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors for electric vehicles (EVs), beginning with the i10 (earlier post).
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010...a-for-evs.html

Who?
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...re-growth.html

Oh yea, the guys that haven't built batteries before. And the guys that are hemorrhaging cash.

there goes your "cheap dangerous cell" theory.

hyundai isn't going to spend big money on cells and have talked a company that never made batteries before into investing in LiPo battery tech. In a use that will just crush RC use for abuse on batteries(no cooling, massive loads, vibration and longevity)

After the Toyota recalls because people couldn;t TURN A KEY OR PUSH A BUTTON, do you think Hyundai is going to take even a hint of a chance on having exploding Sonatas?

Lipo's with proper charging and control circuitry are perfectly safe, FOR WHAT THEY ARE. No battery is perfectly safe. Nothing is.

Now, I want to know what kind of battery is IN one of those glow ignitors. Max voltage for a plug is, IIRC, ~2.0v. charged Lipo single cell is 4.2V Resistor inline?
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I can say that if you buy quality kilos and treat them right they respond with ultimate performance. I have used losi kilos in the starter box and receiver packs. Thunderpower in the 1/10 & 1/8 E cars and a muchmore and protek pack in the ko transmitter. Always balanced and never any issues so far. I even had a starter box suck a losi 4s down below 12v. I put it right on the charger and I'm still using it. The thunderpower 4s packs I charge at 10+ amps on race day and no issues there either. Guys always say that a lipo is a lipo is a lipo And I can attest that they are not all created equal. I run a mmm and 2000 tekin in my truggy with a thunderpower 5200 50c. It smokes truggys with 2650's geared the same. Plus I can make any jump on the track with ease. Guys always wNt to know whats in my truggy and it has to be the battery that makes the difference. A good quality lipo is well worth the $$
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Lipo's are pretty harmless when treated properly, however there is always some danger of failure with anything, and if it happens to a lipo it can be very dangerous.

I keep all my lipo's stored in Lipo-Sac type charging bags. Just a smart thing to do.
What other batteries on the market do you need to keep in a fire safe bag??? There is a reason for it
Old 09-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycajun322 View Post
I have one. Works great. On a full charge itll last you about 1/2 gallon of starting.
They must last longer then that don't they. My normal dynamite ignitor lasts well over a gallon and that's usually with several people using it. The only problem I have with my normal one is that the charges keep breaking. Neither charger has lasted for more then 2 charges before it just stopped working.
bevofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8 View Post
What other batteries on the market do you need to keep in a fire safe bag??? There is a reason for it
What other batteries preform like lipo's? Exactly... None! They have positives and negatives, but to me the positives easily outweigh the negatives.

I'll agree with Frank. High Quality batteries are a must. Thunder Power FTW!!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevofrancis View Post
They must last longer then that don't they. My normal dynamite ignitor lasts well over a gallon and that's usually with several people using it. The only problem I have with my normal one is that the charges keep breaking. Neither charger has lasted for more then 2 charges before it just stopped working.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Fast-Charger
Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks jammin. That will be on my next order, I'm putting it in my shopping cart now.
bevofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
What other batteries preform like lipo's? Exactly... None! They have positives and negatives, but to me the positives easily outweigh the negatives.

I'll agree with Frank. High Quality batteries are a must. Thunder Power FTW!!
positives: more power
negatives: chance of burning your familys home to the ground

Beleave me I have had my run with lipos, I have been flying rc helis for 11 years and had a few 90 size and 50 size ic helis running 6s to 12s lipos. I have also been messing with nicads for 20 years with rc. Don't get me wrong I like lipos and have only had one go bad on me. I was lucky enough that I caught it and didn't burn my house down well my family slept.

I had a friend loose a brand new suv after a lipo burned up well in the back of the truck. He wasn't even charging it and it had never been damaged. It was just sitting in the heli waiting for him to fly it. On a good note there is prob 1000 people having good luck with lipos to every one that burns his house or car to the ground