R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Engine Issues please help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/435876-engine-issues-please-help.html)

Crazycajun322 09-18-2010 07:05 PM

Engine Issues please help

So I went to fire up my inferno today, and it started fine, but after removing the glow starter after a minute of idling, it died. I repeated this several times, but it kept dying after I removed the glow starter. I finally resorted to hitting the throttle all out while removing the starter to build up enough heat to keep the damn thing running, but normally it keeps idling just fine after I remove the starter. I changed spark plugs, same problem. Also, the tune that it has held for 10 tanks now is suddenly making the engine run hot. I was running it in the 220s, but it spiked at 270 today on the same tune.

I am running Byron's 25/11

inferno13 09-18-2010 07:25 PM

what engine you have? may be a air leak or in need of hotter plug. how much fuel has been run through this engine?

jpalessi 09-18-2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 7956774)
what engine you have? may be a air leak or in need of hotter plug. how much fuel has been run through this engine?

it could be a dead glow starter. he mentioned he revved it up

"I finally resorted to hitting the throttle all out while removing the starter to build up enough heat to keep the damn thing running"

FYI your glow plug runs off the initial glow it gets from the starter,. if your starter is dead or weak it would be like running a colder plug than what it actually is. :nod:

Crazycajun322 09-18-2010 07:32 PM

its the stock kyosho gx21 engine. Put a little over a gallon through it. Took the head off, looked fine. Removed the exhaust pipe, that was fine. The only difference is that I put a fuel filter in recently, but I dont think that would have anything to do with compression or ignition other than cleaner fuel.

Crazycajun322 09-18-2010 07:33 PM

I charged the glow starter too, same problem. Ill do some more tests tomorrow though.

Crazycajun322 09-18-2010 07:35 PM

hey joe, are you by chance related to Mike Alessi? I was watching a show about him on fuelTV the other day

jbright33 09-18-2010 07:36 PM

dont know where you live but are you shure its not just weather change that its leaning out?

Crazycajun322 09-18-2010 07:38 PM

I live in Virginia. Its been 85 and sunny all week. Doubt its having that much of an effect.

Do-Over 09-18-2010 07:41 PM

I fuel filter is just another place for an air leak I would look at that filter really close as they can easily have leaks and that sounds like what this is!

Crazycajun322 09-18-2010 07:44 PM

Ya that would explain it. Ill put the old fuel lines in tomorrow and see how it runs. My old cranky neighbors are starting to get annoyed by the noise....maybe I should invite my friends over with their nitros. :lol:

jpalessi 09-18-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322 (Post 7956815)
hey joe, are you by chance related to Mike Alessi? I was watching a show about him on fuelTV the other day

hey, no im not related to Mike, but i'm buddies with his brother Jeff who is also a pro MX guy.

I would pull that fuel filter off it may have an air leak causing your problems. Good luck!

CTEKTOOL 09-18-2010 07:50 PM

recently had the same problem with my ninja and it turned out to be the front bearing leaking. put in a tko ceramic and problem solved.

A frend of mine had the same problem a while back and we found out he had lubed his air filter with shock oil.

Do-Over 09-18-2010 07:51 PM

I've never run the fuel filter cause I know people who have had them leak I'm curious tho... could you seal them with lucky's J? Never had to seal an engine so far... lucky me. (Pun intended)

inferno13 09-18-2010 07:54 PM

make sure your head bolts are nice and tight, as for fuel filter, just throw it in the garbage. try a hot plug and make sure your glow ignighter is charged fully, let it warm up a touch before removing ignighter. make sure idle gap is set to spec. and set back to factory settings and start over, just be patient with it. goodluck!!!! hope we all have helped!!

jmackani 09-18-2010 08:31 PM

I would check your needle settings. The last two weeks here in PA most of us have had to richen up the engines with the drop in humidity and temperatures. Fall seems to have come early here. Although making it richer is only going to solve your temperature and not necessarily it not wanting to run which would probably make it worse.