Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanting to get into racing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Wanting to get into racing?

I am wanting to get into nitro buggy or truggy racing what are the best brands to get that will last?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

X-Ray
Mugen
Losi
Associated
Kyosho
then i think
Hot Bodies
Ofna
etc......
Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

be prepared to get slammed with opinions...

Mugen cars. EBMods engines.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
be prepared to get slammed with opinions...
Yea, everyone will have their own opinion but don't forget to do research as well and don't be shy when asking for help...most of the guys on this forum will be more then willing to help you out.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Locum51
Yea, everyone will have their own opinion but don't forget to do research as well and don't be shy when asking for help...most of the guys on this forum will be more then willing to help you out.
+1
Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lol....exactly...come on guys, where are the tyco and redcat responces?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

go to your local track and see what every 1 there is running!...cause they are gonna be helping you alot!....plus go to your local hobby shop and see what parts they carry and for what brands cause that is gonna be your #1 decision maker
Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by matthew77515
I am wanting to get into nitro buggy or truggy racing what are the best brands to get that will last?
Keep in mind that durability is relative. Some guys will say that Brand A is more durable than Brand B and Brand C is made of glass, etc.

I know guys that can't complete a heat without destroying their stuff. And other guys with the exact same equipment will go damn near the whole season without breaking something.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BAUSTIN
lol....exactly...come on guys, where are the tyco and redcat responces?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deadmancourt
go to your local track and see what every 1 there is running!...cause they are gonna be helping you alot!....plus go to your local hobby shop and see what parts they carry and for what brands cause that is gonna be your #1 decision maker
Very good advice right there. A certain brand may be popular in one place and not in others. Look on the wall at your LHS. A large selection of parts is a good indication of a brand being popular in that area. As for price The HB buggies and Truggies are hard to beat. They drive good and are very durable. Replacement parts are cheap also. So Maintenence won't require a bank loan. OS engines are user friendly for people new to nitro. But go to the track and look around. Watch the races and try to talk to some of the faster guys. Most people are very willing to help someone to get into the hobby. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

DON'T DO IT, IT'S A MONEY PIT!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously though if you haven't raced you may want to buy something used that is in good condition to make sure this is something you want to do. Also you don't need all the hop ups and the fastest motor just starting. Learn to drive good lines and to be curtious to other drivers. Speed will come in due time.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you are starting from scratch the losi 8 rtr is the best deal. I bought an rc8 rtr, and 2 of my buddys bought losi rtr's. Mine was cheaper at first, but I ended up spending more then the losi RTR, after upgrading my radio, and buying a starter box. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box

I'm not saying I like the losi buggy better, but it really is a great deal if you are just starting. Nothing else will come close without spending over 1000$.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Big question is how much you willing to spend and how much do have to spend. What equipment(if any) do you already have?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DezSlash
Big question is how much you willing to spend and how much do have to spend. What equipment(if any) do you already have?
Thats a good starting question. Buggies are a little cheaper to get into than a truggy. But both are a lot of fun to race.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

def go to the track and see what u find, i personally love the rc8b, but someone else will argue up and down that the losi is the car

you have many options for this as stated above ,,, get the car taht you can go to the LHS and get parts for, thers no sense in buying a car you have to order parts for and wait a week, when you can drive a half hour and get all the spares you could ever ask for,,,

these cars are expensive, esp when startin out, kit is about 400-500
good controller lets say 100-300 dependng
servo 50-200 depending on which you want and u need 2 for nitro
engine 200-500
starter box 50-100
pipe, glow starter, receiver battery, tires, maybe 2 sets a month on average depending how much u race condition of track etc etc..
dont be scared of this price tho, this is for quality sh-t that should last a wile, think of it as an investment

the rtrs usually sacrifice hop ups for necessities and then they can later be hopped up

you have a lot of options here, ,,but id say be
st bet is to go to toys r us and see what kinda cars they have there, theya re usually good quality and competitive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.