R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Race maintenance - avoiding disaster (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/435213-race-maintenance-avoiding-disaster.html)

Jaap 09-16-2010 12:55 AM

Race maintenance - avoiding disaster

Hello,

so I decided to start racing and I wound't want my debut to be horrible. So it is best to prepare well rather than regred not to. I have my receiver pack batteries fully charge, starter box fully charged, transmitter fully charged, new tyres, new glowplug.

What else should I maintain before and during the race especially before the final?

thanks

nitroRCs 09-16-2010 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jaap (Post 7946351)
Hello,

so I decided to start racing and I wound't want my debut to be horrible. So it is best to prepare well rather than regred not to. I have my receiver pack batteries fully charge, starter box fully charged, transmitter fully charged, new tyres, new glowplug.

What else should I maintain before and during the race especially before the final?

thanks

Before a Final i would change/check the clutch bearings and shoes.

Also, check the shocks and diffs for any problems...

Just basically go over the car, make sure there is no loose screws or any problems :).

clio 09-16-2010 01:06 AM

You are on a good way. The clutch bearings and air filter are also very important.

*edit* as above poster says haha

Jaap 09-16-2010 01:21 AM

Do I change the glow plug as well for the final?

nitroRCs 09-16-2010 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jaap (Post 7946379)

If its very competetive or long, you can... If its just a club day and the plug is running fine before the main, i wouldnt worry.

All up to you though. Just, if you do, make sure its not a faulty one so take the car out for a spin with the new plug before the final. There is nothing worse then trying to do the right thing and changing a plug before a main, getting 2mins into it and finding you keep flaming out ect.

smokinu 09-16-2010 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jaap (Post 7946379)

you dont have to if you are a great tuner, my motors would go 2-3 gallons on a plug. i only changed em just to change em.

other guys change em before every main.
its up to you though.

mgtmadness2007 09-16-2010 03:16 AM

Check your wheel nuts!!
make sure they are locktite or CA'd on(just CA right on the out side thread), on the end of the nut.

Also make sure all your screw to metalthreads, screws are locktite and tight.
Maintain that clutch!- Check to make sure everything is clean as it should be. Making sure bearing are good,(and NOT over Lubed) shoes are nice(if worn some, glazed, broke, fix them) if they are blue(from heat) fix them, check springs, etc.
Of course you probably already knew this.

I dont race yet (no pit crew) and probably would forget something so I guess I could make a list of things to check and , check them off as I check/maintain it.

Locum51 09-16-2010 05:29 AM

Don't forget to check fuel line, some fuel line may crack and sometimes people over-look this.

NitroXray80809 09-16-2010 06:03 AM

Best thing to do during a race day!
1. Have friends who run the same equipment.
2. Bring aircompressior- A clean car is a better car and makes it easier to go over
3. Bring spare parts and tools, you never know what can happen.
4. After a race make sure your car has no backing out screws, loose screws etc and check ur mesh. Mesh is over looked and it can move by a simple lil boble and wreck.
5. If your tune is good/perfect glowplugs are not a worry for a day of racing.
6. Always keep you reciver pack and transmitter charged, preferable after each race my tires get taken off my car is blowin off with an air compression and my car is checked then put on charge until its done or a race before im up again.
7. If your only running one pair of tires clean them after each race.

8. Now after race procedure is once the day is over blow it off(makes the actual cleaning way easier)Then i dump remaining fuel out of tank with just a lil left in there and i start it letting it run all fuel out of the tank, fuel lines, and engine. Never leave fuel in the tang, engine or fuel lines.
9. Once i get home i lay everything out and see what needs to be done for next week, if theres nothing the set up feels good and no rebuild required i just take my engine, fuel tank, radio box off and i squirt simple green and degreaser on the car, letting it sit for a bit i then air comopress it off and do it again until im happy with how clean it is. I barely started doing this and i tell yah after everday a whole take apart and cleanin is way over board now lol.

Hope this helps!

Gage:D

token 09-16-2010 06:19 AM

LOL - this is awesome.....

Big race or club race?

I have never in my life seen or had a plug last 2-3 gallons and I am lucky to have top notch pro races help me tune. I dont automatically change before a main, but I do check it. ALWAYS carry 2 or 3 extras - sometimes they are bad.

I rebuild before a race day. This is very good because I get a detalied look at everything. Make sure no bent or cracked or wore parts. i rebuild the rear diff all the time as 2k oil is thin for a truggy.

Check Clutch shoes and springs - refresh if needed
New airfilter
Check all drive train bearings individually.
make sure steering rack is moving freely

Make sure all screws are tight.
If your not using left thread screws, check your lower shock mounting screw ofter.Left rear, front left only.
Make sure your transmitter batteries are good for the day.

make sure you take EVERYTHING you MAY need at the track

jamiekerr14 09-16-2010 06:24 AM

Ditto-He must be the god of tunning :rolleyes:

I agree with all the above, I prefer to spend a extra 30 mins after each race day to briefly strip car and check things over. Than to hope for the best next time.. and miss a cracked or broken part. We spend enough on this hobby travelling and costs.. to then not do any prep to then ruin a days racing..

Frank L 09-16-2010 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by smokinu (Post 7946383)
you dont have to if you are a great tuner, my motors would go 2-3 gallons on a plug. i only changed em just to change em.

other guys change em before every main.
its up to you though.

Smoke you are making the natives restless. :D

jwm2 09-16-2010 09:01 AM

Imo just don't go too overboard. Expecially if its your first race. You'll spend too much time worrying about your setup and not enough time thinking about the race itself. You'll learn things as you go along. You have a good grip on what you need to do to be ready, just have some extra parts on hand, just in case. Even if you don't finish, don't worry, many great drivers have had races they didn't finish, its all a part of the process. Just go out and have some fun and let things happen as they will. Of course don't go an neglect your equipment, but i don't feel as if you are the kind of person that would do so. If you feel your diffs need rebuilding and refilled, then do it, but you don't need to do it every race you plan on entering unless its some super huge event where getting noticed for sponsorship could be in the balance. Just make sure your rig is setup how you want it. Put down some good practice laps when you can and enjoy yourself. Anytime you make something your job the fun tends to get sucked out, make this your time to have fun and you'll always enjoy your time at the track.

rc racer 103 09-16-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 7947098)
Smoke you are making the natives restless. :D

LOL Hey Smokin could u tune my motor pls !! I have never had my motor tuned by a great tuner ! LOL !
The race is won in the pits , the more you prep your car the more constant your car will be , always check bearings,diffs,axles and drive shaft pins ,all screws, clutch shoes and bearings , shock oil ect, ect ,,, its alot of work all the time but if you want to win you, first you must finish,,,

DuckStang 09-16-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jaap (Post 7946351)
Hello,

thanks

Sounds like you have all your bases covered. Make sure you have some of the things posted in this thread, but do not go over board. It's your first race. Main thing that I did was cover my bases, as you did, PLUS got there early and talked to people with the same car as I had and asked them how the track was, what they changed to adapt to the track.

ALSO, DO NOT forget to watch. Get there, have a seat and just watch. See what racing lines they are taking, how fast they are going in and out of corners, where they turn in for the corners, etc. Watch more than one guy, if they happen to run the same truck as you, the better.

As I said, the most important thing is to get there early when nobody is stressed. Most nitro guys get "in the zone" as they call it and become totally unhelpfull during the qualifiers. After that, they are just too busy working on their own shit.

Do not get intimidated by the rigs/setups you see out there. Chances are, you will get there and be like me. A deer in headlights seeing that other people's rigs(rc trucks) are worth more than your rc truck PLUS the truck you drove to the track with. Just have fun, it will come to you.