Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Race maintenance - avoiding disaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Default Get ready

On a personal note, Break your throttle finger before the race so that it will work slowly and only go to full throttle on the front or back straight.
Just my 2 Cents but 2 Cents that helped me alot.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Dont ever be scared to ask for help. There are alot of sponsored guys out at the tracks that will bend over backwards for you, hell their sponsorship is not based off winning, but based off of product support, being there for the customer/racer. No matter what time of day it is, I have never been turned down when I asked for help. Losi drivers are the best. just saying

FUN FUN FUN - these are Expensive Toys - TOYS
Old 09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What I do isn't very different from what every one else. One thing I didn't see mentioned is a log of changes you made and if they where good or bad. Don't be Adair to ask for help either. I am lucky that my buddy got picked up by hot bodies so is I need a part that day he usually has it. He is real cool and has stopped working on his stuff to help a fellow racer tune his motor. Another good tip slow is faster. I learned that lesson this past weekend.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Plenty of good thought's and advice here for a first race night.....

Defiantly watch (mainly the fastest guys to see their lines etc) as much as possible with out sacrificing the precious track time that you will need. But don't just burn up fuel and beat up your car. Make sure you hit the track each time with you car in race form. Double check and re-adjust ride height, camber etc.

I have multiple engines with 1-2 gal+ plugs in them.
Hot plugs are more susceptible to blowing than colder ones and if you run your car out of fuel every time you run it plugs won't last very long. Sometimes the first time you run it out if you are under load and or wide open when you run out.

Confidence in your car and knowing your limits will make your first race a fun and enjoyable one.

Most importantly.....Have fun and try to keep it all in perspective.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Bring a couple different sets of tires and try them out during practice to find the ones that suit your driving style and setup the best. Then tweak the chassis setup slightly once you have found the tires. Being your first race, just focus on getting the best tire for you, don't worry about the chassis tuning yet since tires are like 95% of the handling battle.

Bring all your spare parts, but don't worry if you break something, just ask someone there, they may have something you need. So also bring a little cash too.

Give your car a good visual inspection after each time on the track, blowing off with an air compressor really helps. Don't worry too much about changing parts/bearings/clutch shoes, just focus on keeping the car on all 4s and not getting turn-marshalled.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
Bring a couple different sets of tires and try them out during practice to find the ones that suit your driving style and setup the best. Then tweak the chassis setup slightly once you have found the tires. Being your first race, just focus on getting the best tire for you, don't worry about the chassis tuning yet since tires are like 95% of the handling battle.

Bring all your spare parts, but don't worry if you break something, just ask someone there, they may have something you need. So also bring a little cash too.

Give your car a good visual inspection after each time on the track, blowing off with an air compressor really helps. Don't worry too much about changing parts/bearings/clutch shoes, just focus on keeping the car on all 4s and not getting turn-marshalled.
Actually, this is a bit backwards. The best bet is to use the tire & compound that most of the "fast guys" are running, then dial in a set up on your truck that you feel comfortable with. At that point, without changing the set up, try different brands, treads, or compounds, so you can see what effect each has on the truck.

If you go bouncing all around trying to dial in tire choice, and chassis set up, you'll go crazy. Chances are, the fast guys already know what tire works best at that track, so it's a really good place to start.

Ask around in the pits. I've let folks try out a set of my tires for practice or in a qualifer to see how they liked them. It'll save you the cost of buying a set that may not work at all for your truck or driving style.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

I think this is is first race, I dont think he should worry about tires until he get that hang of understanding the characteristic of how each part affects the car.

Clutch is MORE important in my opinion. If effect fuel mileage and tuning, having a good clutch is a good habit to get into.

The thing is not racing, that is a bonus. Watch and LEARN ask questions and have fun. There will be plenty of racing right now, I suggest to learn as much as you can on your first day at the track.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have mixed feelings about asking the fast guys which tires to run. Most if not all the fast guys will run a small pin tire so they can carry more speed in and out of the turns. Me, on the otherhand take my turns off power since I cant control the car if I enter or exit the turns too fast. This causes me to use larger pin tires because I get allot more traction and stearing off power, and since I am rolling my turns I hardly ever traction roll. I think everyone should find the tire that works best for them, and I am positive that the tire that the pro's are using will not be the best choice for a first time racer
Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

I'll disagree on that one. You only need to ask the right questions.......

Try this one.....

Hi (insert local fast guy name here) I am so and so and this is first time out here. In your opinion what is the best all around tire for this place?

Then ask what is the "fastest" tire at this track.

At that point go with the largest pin out of those tires that he suggested. Mainly so they will last more than a few runs.

A small pin tire is not always the fastest tire.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

If this is your first first race just go out and have fun. Dont over thing your self. This is supposed to be your hobby and a stress reliever(at times it cuases more lol) Another good thing is to either walk the track and look for hazards/ where the line is and to volunteer marshaling other than the race your are assigned to and switch spots so you can see the cars up close and there line. Make a goal for laps or for the race like not to get marshalled. Now for the tire choice start of with a popular all around tire that works for your track.Then as you make friends around the track ask to borrow a set to try for practice or a qual. A local jc guy here has alot of tires and is always saying here try these ones or these and see how they suit your driving style.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Actually, this is a bit backwards. The best bet is to use the tire & compound that most of the "fast guys" are running, then dial in a set up on your truck that you feel comfortable with.
How is that backwards from "choose a tire, then adjust chassis" which is what I said?

By now, I'm sure you've realized that in this sport/hobby, you can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. Just take all the answers with a grain of salt and decide what is best for you. And like an above post said, have fun, smile, enjoy yourself, this is supposed to be fun after all!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyP
I'll disagree on that one. You only need to ask the right questions.......

Try this one.....

Hi (insert local fast guy name here) I am so and so and this is first time out here. In your opinion what is the best all around tire for this place?

Then ask what is the "fastest" tire at this track.

At that point go with the largest pin out of those tires that he suggested. Mainly so they will last more than a few runs.

A small pin tire is not always the fastest tire.
Hey, hey dont make me Dang you!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

if you have one thing to check make sure it's the clutch. I have dnf'ed several times and it usually has to do with the clutch. Other then that, check the glue on your tires, screws, fuel line and tank, linkage. Also check for drag on you drive shafts and diffs.

that is pretty much it. Make sure your batteries are charged and you have everything in your pitbag ready to go when it is time.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Actually, this is a bit backwards. The best bet is to use the tire & compound that most of the "fast guys" are running, then dial in a set up on your truck that you feel comfortable with. At that point, without changing the set up, try different brands, treads, or compounds, so you can see what effect each has on the truck.

If you go bouncing all around trying to dial in tire choice, and chassis set up, you'll go crazy. Chances are, the fast guys already know what tire works best at that track, so it's a really good place to start.

Ask around in the pits. I've let folks try out a set of my tires for practice or in a qualifer to see how they liked them. It'll save you the cost of buying a set that may not work at all for your truck or driving style.
good point. I was told the track at the southern nats would be packed clay and would groove up. I spent my tire money on a couple sets of hole shots, gridirons and revolvers. When i got to the track is was mixed heavily with sand

nothing but calibers from there on out. And tires make or break you faster then any other thing. Heck a bad tune on a engine you could still get by with if your car is totally hooked up.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dreaux
good point. I was told the track at the southern nats would be packed clay and would groove up. I spent my tire money on a couple sets of hole shots, gridirons and revolvers. When i got to the track is was mixed heavily with sand

nothing but calibers from there on out. And tires make or break you faster then any other thing. Heck a bad tune on a engine you could still get by with if your car is totally hooked up.
I can attest for being hooked with a crap tune happened to me this past weekend. All top end and no low end and was able to come back from seventh and caught up to second missed the bump by a few seconds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.