R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
I have an assortment of all the brands including hudy, mip thorpe, and losi. I do like the aluminum hudy ones better because for me they are easier to get a decent grip on. The etched pattern in the aluminum helps. The losi aluminum handles feel like razor blades when twisting hard sometimes. I have problems with my hands slipping on the plastic handles. The other item of consideration others have mentioned is if you ever want to use the tools in a power screwdriver. None of my toolsets give me this capability, so I am searching now for the power tool tips which I am leaning towards the hudy set. I mainly will be using the power route for new builds where the hands get tired of cranking.
get the eds tip set. It is awsome, i use it on a 4 volt lithium craftsman cordless screwdriver. And it along with my eds tips (OMG 25 BUCKS!!!) is one of the best investments i have ever made. talk about save time and since the power driver puts constant pressure (vs torquing your wrist over and over), the tips and screws last longer.

If someone wants to go to dollar general and walmart and HF to buy tools to wrench on thier expensive cars, they must not wrench much. Give me an integy and it will be in the trash tomorrow. When you use quality aloy screws like what tony, mugen and other high end cars use, you have to have better hardened tips. I HATE cheap tools. You GET what YOU PAY for. And anyone who thinks the steel in harbor freight and other cheap tools is the same as high end wrenches they no nothing about tools. PERIOD. i guess you could buy cheap ones every week or three days i guess.

MIP, EDS, HUDY, MUGEN. GOOD TOOLS!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #47
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
get the eds tip set. It is awsome, i use it on a 4 volt lithium craftsman cordless screwdriver. And it along with my eds tips (OMG 25 BUCKS!!!) is one of the best investments i have ever made. talk about save time and since the power driver puts constant pressure (vs torquing your wrist over and over), the tips and screws last longer.

If someone wants to go to dollar general and walmart and HF to buy tools to wrench on thier expensive cars, they must not wrench much. Give me an integy and it will be in the trash tomorrow. When you use quality aloy screws like what tony, mugen and other high end cars use, you have to have better hardened tips. I HATE cheap tools. You GET what YOU PAY for. And anyone who thinks the steel in harbor freight and other cheap tools is the same as high end wrenches they no nothing about tools. PERIOD. i guess you could buy cheap ones every week or three days i guess.

MIP, EDS, HUDY, MUGEN. GOOD TOOLS!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
And you think the steel in the made in china $$$ brands are any different?

You are buying a name. Want my proof?
http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/263sermm.htm

Hex Ball End Technicians Precision 5 Pc. Set
1.3mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm

$23.20

Those are Wiha tools. THE BEST Precision Hex drivers on the planet. German Steel. 23 bucks direct from Wiha. I'm sure one can find them cheaper other places.

A slight bit better than "losi" or "mugen" or "hudy" tools.

but, hey. Keep buying the name brand tooling. the car "makers" need your business to keep kit prices low.
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #48
Tech Elite

i actually have one a piece of junk like this.

Look, i am not trying to start an argument. Those are precision drivers for electronics and MAYBE working in a switch gear cabinet. I don't torque my screws hard but i would kill my hands trying to turn little things repeatedly. and i bought one for 7$$ A precision screwdriver that i thought would work. They turned out to be the biggest piece of crap ever.

Now these are a different story.

eds tips

mip thorp (a little blurry)

these dynamite wrenches are not near as good as mip

this is just my expierience. THis is what works for me. THe O.P. asked about good tools for cheap. Really they are not that expensive. I only use 2.0 and 2.5 and a little less the 1.5 most of the time you can get them for about 10$ a piece or you can save a couple bucks. it's up to you. The whole set of eds tips was 25$ The mip are about 12$ a piece, and if there is better i would like to know.

Mugen
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #49
Suspended

http://www.mcmaster.com/#allen-bits/=8vodsl

Click page 2808

Power driver hex bits start at 1.97 each.

Again, keep paying for name brands.

Next we'll hear Mcmastercarr sells garbage tooling as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storydude1 View Post
http://www.mcmaster.com/#allen-bits/=8vodsl

Click page 2808

Power driver hex bits start at 1.97 each.

Again, keep paying for name brands.

Next we'll hear Mcmastercarr sells garbage tooling as well.
whatever dude.

Good luck in life.

Mugen
Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #51
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
whatever dude.

Good luck in life.
I've had great luck in life. Mainly because I don't spend money frivolously.

At least the OP got a bunch of links out of this thread.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #52
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to shanem121 Send a message via MSN to shanem121

Hudy,EDS,MIP/Thorp best tools out there. Been using my Hudy tools for 3 years and i tear my car down after every race. They are still in PERFECT condition. I did replace a tip with a EDS one and it is the same quality. THIS HOBBY ISNT CHEAP
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #53
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

wow, 4 pages of what tools are best.

And most of it's Storydude1 arguing with guys, way to show your professionalism.

Been in Rc before 89 eh, yet your Just make it now(August) to the Worlds Largest Racing forum...riiight.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #54
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post

And most of it's Storydude1 arguing with guys, way to show your professionalism.

Been in Rc before 89 eh, yet your Just make it now(August) to the Worlds Largest Racing forum...riiight.
Wow. Look deep into the Norcca RCRC summer dirt oval Nats of 1990. sponsored by RCRc of OKC. You'll find my name in the C main. I was pitting next to a very young and fat Kinwald..and his father. Or why not ask Chris Chianelli about the interview he had with me at that race that almost made RCCA. How about Thunderdome in 91? I was there as well. Crossreference the names in the C main at RCRC and the D main at Thunderdome. Whipporwhill? Raced there as well.

I find it funny I was a sponsored driver while you were still in grade school.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:

lol well put
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

I don't see that as any indication he has not been into rc for as long as he states. I've been into RC's since i was about 7 years old, i'm 32 now. And yet i just joined not long ago. I'm a member at many other forums as well but didn't get into racing until just recently. Many folks might be into other forms of rc's such as planes, helis, boats, etc. All of which have much bigger communites elsewhere.

I started with a sears brand rc my neighbor gave to me for free with a broken front a-arm, my father and i fixed it and off i went. Of course it didn't hold up and we fixed it probably a dozen times, but for free it was fun and a good learning experience. After that i got a much better racing buggy and used that for years, until it finally broke and parts were not available. Mind you this was a decade or so before the internet. After that i messed with various rc related toys until i got into nitro about 10 years ago. I bought a kyosho usa-1 monster truck and had one hell of a time putting it together. Lets just say that many things they showed in the manual did not exist in the kit. After that i bought a nitro quake rtr monster truck, then i traded a ps2 for a t-maxx. Dumped hundreds of dollars into that and then went to a revo, sold it and bought a losi buggy 2.0 and truggy 2.0. So my adventure goes back nearly 25 years. Have i been racing the whole time? No not at all. I just got into racing. But does that mean that just because i'm fairly new here that my info is any less relevant? I don't think so.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote