R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Theres always the OS Speed tools guaranteed to make you faster at wrenching hahahaha
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZKG6&P=SM
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
yep, if you are wanting to be really sneeky with not torqing them, before you put the screw in tough the tip with hot glu... stop its from cracking loose, but only use tiny tiny tiny bit it works a chearm, i've been doing it for years on plastics..

NOTHING on an RC car needs more than 5 Ft/Lbs of torque. That's 60 Oz/Inches. If it's coming loose on you, threadlock it. Not torquing it that extra 1/2 turn.
Storydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallot View Post
Good and cheap = TOOLS from hardware store not with RC sticker.
most pro tools also have plastic handles that are much more comfortable to use compared to those pathetic aluminum ones on most rc tools

try WERA tools and you wont ever go back to rc brands
been there done that. I have high quality craftsman tools, used them when i first got into rc, i couldnt work on a car without strippin a screw. Hudy or eds is the only way to go if you always work on your rc car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storydude1 View Post
Direct from your 2nd link above.

Might as well be buying from the snap on truck.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-37862.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...tem-95037.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...set-96645.html

If you are stripping Allen head screws, don't torque them as tight next time. A 40 dollar wrench set isn't going to make a difference.
where the F are you shopping that cost 40 bucks for a wrench. Hudy is only 18 bucks a wrench if bought separate

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...h-5-64-x-120mm

and they do make a difference, try taking a engine bolt off a losi with an align wrench, if its tight you will never loosen it, ive twisted so many align wrenches with engine bolts(talking the ones that go thru the chassis into the motor mount)

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
been there done that. I have high quality craftsman tools, used them when i first got into rc, i couldnt work on a car without strippin a screw. Hudy or eds is the only way to go if you always work on your rc car

where the F are you shopping that cost 40 bucks for a wrench. Hudy is only 18 bucks a wrench if bought separate

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...h-5-64-x-120mm

and they do make a difference, try taking a engine bolt off a losi with an align wrench, if its tight you will never loosen it, ive twisted so many align wrenches with engine bolts(talking the ones that go thru the chassis into the motor mount)
So, 20.00 for 35 cents of steel is worth it for you? In that case, I have some rebadged HF tools I'll sell you for only 10 bucks each.

In response to a Losi motormount....Maybe apply a slight amount of heat to the fastener instead of horking on it? Or not Crank it to 35 Ft/Lbs in the first place?

No clue on an Align wrench..Is that one of the overpriced tools for the Heli guys? the ones for an application of 10Oz/Inches or less?

I haven't found ONE fastener that my T-handle HF wrenches haven't been able to remove..RC or 1:1

EDIT: Add up how much you spent on tools for all your RC's...Then find the same tools or eqv. at HF or Home Depot.

I"ll bet the difference is a new 8ight 2.0
Old 09-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
So, 20.00 for 35 cents of steel is worth it for you? In that case, I have some rebadged HF tools I'll sell you for only 10 bucks each.

In response to a Losi motormount....Maybe apply a slight amount of heat to the fastener instead of horking on it? Or not Crank it to 35 Ft/Lbs in the first place?

No clue on an Align wrench..Is that one of the overpriced tools for the Heli guys? the ones for an application of 10Oz/Inches or less?

I haven't found ONE fastener that my T-handle HF wrenches haven't been able to remove..RC or 1:1
im saying align wrenches, not t handles. and yes a QUALITY product is worth it to me, this is why all my tools are hudy/eds. i learned if you buy junk you will be asking for headaches in the future.

btw you must not race do you? try putting a small amount of torque on a motor mount screw and see how long that stays in.and do you have a torque wrench that you use to torque your screws? really doubt it

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
Old 09-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
Suspended

Quote:
im saying align wrenches, not t handles. and yes a QUALITY product is worth it to me, this is why all my tools are hudy/eds. i learned if you buy junk you will be asking for headaches in the future.

btw you must not race do you? try putting a small amount of torque on a motor mount screw and see how long that stays in.and do you have a torque wrench that you use to torque your screws? really doubt
I've been racing RC since before Losi introduced the JRx2. That would be pre 1989 to you I remember when the HORNET was competitive.

I fell for the "MUST HAVE RC TOOLING" too..then I grew up Wrenching on cars for 25+ years has calibrated my hands to a very close approximation of a torque wrench. Notice I never specified a TORQUE VALUE for screws? That's usually in the owners manual..Which if you've workedon brakes of ANY 1:1 car, you'll notice nobody follows Caliper bolts are in no case more than 20Ft/Lbs. Most I've come across are 50+ Same with RC motormounts.

but hey, you are comfortable buying 300 dollars in tooling, go ahead. I'll spend my money on items that help me on the track and save me money.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:

NOTHING on an RC car needs more than 5 Ft/Lbs of torque. That's 60 Oz/Inches. If it's coming loose on you, threadlock it. Not torquing it that extra 1/2 turn.
Quote:
I've been racing RC since before Losi introduced the JRx2. That would be pre 1989 to you I remember when the HORNET was competitive.

I fell for the "MUST HAVE RC TOOLING" too..then I grew up Wrenching on cars for 25+ years has calibrated my hands to a very close approximation of a torque wrench. Notice I never specified a TORQUE VALUE for screws? That's usually in the owners manual..Which if you've workedon brakes of ANY 1:1 car, you'll notice nobody follows Caliper bolts are in no case more than 20Ft/Lbs. Most I've come across are 50+ Same with RC motormounts.

but hey, you are comfortable buying 300 dollars in tooling, go ahead. I'll spend my money on items that help me on the track and save me money.
HMMM, that sounds like your posting a torque value to me

Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't know much about losi tools, I use mip/thorp and EDS. They are top notch. I have used the integy and dynamite and they are not even half as good.

Right now I have a craftsman 4 volt lipo screwdriver with eds tips. You could not pry it from my dead fingers

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quality tools at harbor freight?? Hahahaha! No offense, but if I buy a tool from HF I usually don't plan on using it again. I spend alot of time on tools. Not just my buggy, I am also an electrician, in my field Klein is king. Give me some stanley junk and it goes in the trash ( except for fat max tape measures).

Mugen
Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
Suspended

Quote:
HMMM, that sounds like your posting a torque value to me

Please show me where I said "Losi motormounts need to be torqued to XX" ?

I'll wait.

It also sounds like someone is upset they spent more money on overpriced tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Quality tools at harbor freight?? Hahahaha! No offense, but if I buy a tool from HF I usually don't plan on using it again. I spend alot of time on tools. Not just my buggy, I am also an electrician, in my field Klein is king. Give me some stanley junk and it goes in the trash ( except for fat max tape measures).
Never said they were quality, just that they were functional and adequate.

I find it funny to compare your business tools that you make money off of, with tools for working on(what are at the end of the day nothing more than) toys. Advocating the expense of name-brand tooling is akin to telling the shadetree mechanic he needs Proto, SK or Matco tooling to even attempt anything.

A 4mm allen is a 4mm allen until you get to the handle.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Please show me where I said "Losi motormounts need to be torqued to XX" ?

I'll wait.

It also sounds like someone is upset they spent more money on overpriced tools.

Never said they were quality, just that they were functional and adequate.

I find it funny to compare your business tools that you make money off of, with tools for working on(what are at the end of the day nothing more than) toys. Advocating the expense of name-brand tooling is akin to telling the shadetree mechanic he needs Proto, SK or Matco tooling to even attempt anything.

A 4mm allen is a 4mm allen until you get to the handle.
a allen wrench is NOT just a allen wrench. The grade of steel varries greatly. I can use those t handle or even husky and craftsman allens and they won't last long at all. Eds and mip last forever. THis is my own expierience. yours may differ

Mugen

Last edited by dreaux; 09-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Direct from your 2nd link above.

Might as well be buying from the snap on truck.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-37862.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...tem-95037.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...set-96645.html

If you are stripping Allen head screws, don't torque them as tight next time. A 40 dollar wrench set isn't going to make a difference.
I tried 2 of the 3 sets you put up... I have most of them still but the sizes i use for RC are all stripped.....

My red handle dyn or my losi tools are great. had them for years and have not stripped one. And working in a LHS for years, I have seen, sold, explained, and had to deal with unhappy customers pissed that their new cheap hex stripped.......

Well I still belive in you get what you pay for and I have had alot of experience with cheap tools myself in my daily job, in the LHS, and in my own tool box, and I will say that you will never see me with a cheap set of hexes at the track.... So its great that some of you had luck with cheap tools, but most guys at the track will have some GOOD tools.

I hate plastic handles.....
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm liking these so far:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Wrench-Kit

They at least double as electric bits as well. Anyone have any trouble with these?
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
I'm liking these so far:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Wrench-Kit

They at least double as electric bits as well. Anyone have any trouble with these?
+1 - got these just for the bits for the drill
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #30
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to nmt6789

Don't buy Integy tools.....Bought a $45 set of standard and metric and they are horrendous. Snapped the tip off of the 1/16 after about a month of use.
nmt6789 is offline   Reply With Quote