R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default Oil foam filters (LOSI)

I had read someone saying they only oil one filter,but I canít remember if they said only oil the outer one or only the inner foam.

If this is the case Iíd be interested in knowing why only one foam
RustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Some people only oil the inner and leave the outer dry so crap doesnt stick to it and block it up.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The inner needs the OIL.. Oil outer on super dusty tracks..
Old 09-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

OK thanks for the info
RustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

always oil inner foam. ALWAYS! Never leave the inner foam dry, the outer foam can be oiled but not needed i do it from time to time but the inner foam is the only one you should always have oile on.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If u don't oil the outer filter u mite want to consider changing ur filters every run, here in Cali when it gets dusty an oiled putter filter changes the tune so fast so I typically oil the inner filter then I actually take the outer filter and oil just the inner part with my finger leaving the outer part of the filter dry to not grab dirt. I still change my filters after each run tho it's not worth a 300$ engine to b lazy with a dollar filter.
Matt Piva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
If u don't oil the outer filter u mite want to consider changing ur filters every run, here in Cali when it gets dusty an oiled putter filter changes the tune so fast so I typically oil the inner filter then I actually take the outer filter and oil just the inner part with my finger leaving the outer part of the filter dry to not grab dirt. I still change my filters after each run tho it's not worth a 300$ engine to b lazy with a dollar filter.
exact same thing i do.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

losi pre oiled filters have a ridiculous amount of oil. I have spray filter oil and oil the inner more then the outer. But this oil is not as heavy as what's on the losi filters. My engines run better with out all that oil restricting the air flow.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
losi pre oiled filters have a ridiculous amount of oil. I have spray filter oil and oil the inner more then the outer. But this oil is not as heavy as what's on the losi filters. My engines run better with out all that oil restricting the air flow.
I've been wondering about the spray filter oil, i need to get some more oil as i'm about out, i may just give that a try.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
It's not ridiculous at all. Better for the filters to leave the factory with slightly more oil than less. They expect you to squeeze out the extra oil with a paper towel anyway. Same with the Lucky 7 stuff.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Pre packed losi filters give you more that enough oil. The other layer, I use a shop towel and just squeeze it, I like to get 80% of the oil off. the inner layer i take about 40 off... This is the last like of defense. If any thing comes through the top layer, the bottom will get it.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Tech Prophet

Quote:

no kidding, i used the losi inner and outer filters that were preoiled and i dabed off the extra oil off it and my outer filter was caked with dirt and well it made my engine run like crap and flamed out.

i use answer inner and outer filters on my eight .

i dont know why losi uses oil that thick and sticky they had to know that would happen on a dusty track. but i, oil my inner filter and oil the inside of the outer filter and use k&n filter oil its not real thick ethier.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i dont know why losi uses oil that thick and sticky they had to know that would happen on a dusty track..
most manufactures that sell pre oiled filters use the same method for oiling them at the factory. and that is by completey submerging the filter (probably with the outer filter still on) then spinning them to get the extra oil off. now would you rather sell a product that has a little to musch oil were the customer can dab off the extra to there liking or sell under oiled filters that let dirt threw and ruin the customers motors.... just dab off the extra oil or buy the un oiled filters and do them yourself.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
most manufactures that sell pre oiled filters use the same method for oiling them at the factory. and that is by completey submerging the filter (probably with the outer filter still on) then spinning them to get the extra oil off. now would you rather sell a product that has a little to musch oil were the customer can dab off the extra to there liking or sell under oiled filters that let dirt threw and ruin the customers motors.... just dab off the extra oil or buy the un oiled filters and do them yourself.

yea i can understand that point but i use k&n filter oil and collects the dirt just fine im just saying that they should use a bit thinner oil.

i use the answer filters anyways there better.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
no kidding, i used the losi inner and outer filters that were preoiled and i dabed off the extra oil off it and my outer filter was caked with dirt and well it made my engine run like crap and flamed out.

i use answer inner and outer filters on my eight .

i dont know why losi uses oil that thick and sticky they had to know that would happen on a dusty track. but i, oil my inner filter and oil the inside of the outer filter and use k&n filter oil its not real thick ethier.
you should check out the Mugen Filter Oil.