R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Dynamite alum chassis? Need some bling!

I have a LST2 and have been thinking about switching the chassis to the dynamite aluminum chassis and getting some aluminum side rails. Good idea or should I keep them plastic? I was thinking about some alum bumpers but i can't see them taking impact as well as plastic would. Just feeling like I need to bling it up abit.

Used for mostly bashing around and racing a bit at the track.
zamboniguy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Any info?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ask this in the MT section.. You'll get better answers..
Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Can someone please move this thread to the Monster Truck section so I can get some answers? Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its not worth the price you pay for aluminum upgrades. The thing with aluminum is that it transfers the energy to the next weakest part. And once you get it completely aluminumized the parts start bending. You can't take out bends in aluminum without ruining the part so you end up replacing them.

Aluminum has no give and no leway when it comes to impacts, so keep as much plastic as you can. I learned this with my old t-maxx and from time to time see used ones covered in aluminum for sale. The lhs near me has a complete aluminum t-maxx for $900, which is insane. Sure it probably cost nearly 2k to build but honestly who's going to buy that montrosity? Things like a-arms need to be plastic, you can put a couple aluminum upgrades on but be careful when doing so, you may be doing more harm than good.

The best rule of thumb is buy quality plastic parts, even if it means going with another manufacturer such as RPM or Pro-Line for that part. Also the more aluminum you put on it the heavier it gets which makes impacts hurt that much more. Trust me when i say leave the bling for the shmucks.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You'll never end up making your rig bulletproof and if you decide to take it to a track it will handle like a tank with alot of aluminum on it. Even if you just decide to back yard bash it, you'll ruin more parts with all the extra weight than if you just left it stock. If you pay attention to most racing rigs you'll see very little aluminum on them, plastic parts are just more durable and weigh alot less, and less weight means softer impacts and quicker response, not to mention quicker off the line and faster top end speed.
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
You'll never end up making your rig bulletproof and if you decide to take it to a track it will handle like a tank with alot of aluminum on it. Even if you just decide to back yard bash it, you'll ruin more parts with all the extra weight than if you just left it stock. If you pay attention to most racing rigs you'll see very little aluminum on them, plastic parts are just more durable and weigh alot less, and less weight means softer impacts and quicker response, not to mention quicker off the line and faster top end speed.
Thanks for the advice!

I noticed in your signature it says you have a GO 3 port engine. Is it the GO .28 3 Port Sport motor? How do you like the GO engines? I am thinking about putting the one i mentioned in my Lst2 muggy.