Wiki Posts
Search

Advise needed on pipe size

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default Advise needed on pipe size

I was after some info on pipes, mainly the diameter of the widest part of the pipe (fatness). my one i have now (and only one ive ever had) is 39mm in diameter and it doesnt seem to fit in my car as nice as i would like it to, i think its on the bigger side of pipes but i am not sure.

If some people could post there pipes brand, model & diameter that would be great in helping me pick a good new pipe to buy that might fit better.

Ohh yeah, mine is the Losi one that comes with the Losi 8 2.0 RTR Buggy. Im running it on a HB D8 mainly for the reason that i picked it up dirt cheap.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've had to make my own pipe hangars for this reason. The dynamite pipes i run now aren't quite as long as the stock tuned pipes to the hangars were too short. So i took a wire clothes hanger and cut it into smaller pieces. I then take pliers and bend them how i need them. I've only had one break so far but i keep a bunch of extras in my tool box just in case. The last time i was at the track it toom me all of about 30 seconds to bend a new hangar and get it installed. Once you do it once or twice its really easy to do even when at the track. I don't know if this is what you are having an issue with, but its a good tip none-the-less.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
I've had to make my own pipe hangars for this reason. The dynamite pipes i run now aren't quite as long as the stock tuned pipes to the hangars were too short. So i took a wire clothes hanger and cut it into smaller pieces. I then take pliers and bend them how i need them. I've only had one break so far but i keep a bunch of extras in my tool box just in case. The last time i was at the track it toom me all of about 30 seconds to bend a new hangar and get it installed. Once you do it once or twice its really easy to do even when at the track. I don't know if this is what you are having an issue with, but its a good tip none-the-less.
+1 on making the pipe fit better. and if your running a cheaper pipe it can help your pipe from bending if someone or something hits the pipe, the clothes hanger gives a little before the pipe will but it will go right back. when i run a clothes hanger, i no longer use the screw to hold the pipe on it, i just make a small bend right at the end so the pipe moves but wont come off.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just one clothes hanger was enough to make about 6-8 tuned pipe hangars, and costs less than .25 to make. The ones i had were coated in plastic, but thats easily removed by just sliding the wire out of them when cut down to size. Also i was able to bend it down alittle to make the pipe fit closer to the chassis, all in all it is well worth the effort and saves you abit of money at the same time.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I like to use the pipe hanger with a spring in it so it let's the pipe flex a little bit if needed. I think gmk makes them and I know ofna makes one too.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I like to use the pipe hanger with a spring in it so it let's the pipe flex a little bit if needed. I think gmk makes them and I know ofna makes one too.
and O'donnell
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
+1