R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Engine break-in, figure 8's or large circle

I have been breaking my engines doing the figure 8. I am thinking about doing a large circle or oval so it will be one continuous throttle input without going into neutral like the figure 8 does. My question is would this be a be better? I would think that by doing this it would make engine temps more consistent and it would also be faster to break-in. Would there be any draw back by using this method?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

i usually go to my local track and throw it on the oval just like the circle other than circle 8 imo
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

get some aluminum tape, wrap the head, heat up the engine, get a good idle while clearing out the fuel. Do this for a tank to seat the brearings. Fill it back up, heat it up and lean the low end until it takes off without hesitation, drive it!!!! Dont blip to much or go all out, but vary the throttle speed and don't be afraid to drive it. do this for about 3 to 5 minutes at a time, bring it in and let it cool down. There is no set fuel consumption for it to break in so don't worry about getting "a gallon" or even a half a gallon through it.

Once the bottom end is just about right start working on the top. If it starts to stutter or race a high idle, simply close the idle gap. When you start working on the top lean just a little at the time but always keep it a bit on the rich side but not to much. I suggest reading the plug (make sure the engine head is clean!!) Make sure they are slightly wet. as the engine runs in more it will at some point go richer on you, that is when you have to get it close to a race tune. Once that happens and you lean it out, it will drop it's sac in no time!!

it's very easy. basically keep it hot and run it. make sure it is making good smoke. But for the love of god do not keep it blubbery rich. Dont be afraid to get temps well into the 200's

to get full performance it is going to take alot of fuel, the better part of a gallon. But you can still run it at the settings i mentioned and somewhere between half and a whole gallon it will be ripping.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarwashington View Post
I have been breaking my engines doing the figure 8. I am thinking about doing a large circle or oval so it will be one continuous throttle input without going into neutral like the figure 8 does. My question is would this be a be better? I would think that by doing this it would make engine temps more consistent and it would also be faster to break-in. Would there be any draw back by using this method?
During breakin you should alter the rpm thats what figure 8 does, if you can run the car in a circle/oval with high and low rpm's it will have the same effect.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

just drive the car. Short trigger pulls, medium trigger pulls, short high trigger pulls, long smooth pulls etc. Just drive around like you would normally, the only thing different i do is coast in and don't really use the brakes.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote