Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main Chassis Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Default Main Chassis Question

I have a question about the main chassis on my losi 8ight 2.0 rtr. There is a slight bow in the center of the chassis. is this normal or is it supposed to be perfectly straight?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have seen that are many cars. I do not have a LOSI, but if you have all the chassis braces tight etc. it should not be a problem.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The chassis should be perfectly straight, just like when its new. Bend it back, there isnt a car out there tha doesnt taco the chassis eventually, but few that ever get fixed/noticed
Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
The chassis should be perfectly straight, just like when its new. Bend it back, there isnt a car out there tha doesnt taco the chassis eventually, but few that ever get fixed/noticed

False, Most/Not all chassis are build with a bow in them from factory.

At least every losi chassis that's been through my shop has.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I check mine during build and after every few runs..... none have been bent new (including the losi I ran for one weekend) until they are ran a bunch. Then the straightening begins. They always bent in the center diff area between the center hole and flywheel hole. Chassis braces dont do much on cars these days, not like the old days when they actually kept the chassis straight, most cars now are supposed to flex. good for performance but bad for durability. It doesnt surprise me that Losi's are coming with a bow in them, the material they use is far too soft AND thin IMO and cant retain its integrity through the stamping process.

No offense but the chassis plate it supposed to be flat, otherwise forget your kickup and antisquat adjustments.

More often than not I'll find the chassis is bent side to side also (since those two holes are not square to the chassis), this is much harder to get straight and usually requires a new chassis, some cars will bend the first few tanks and never get noticed or fixed. When the chassis is bent side to side, forget it, there's no way to fix the tendacies that will present, droop, weight balance tire-tire... nothing is consistent at that point
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

I can't stand it when my chassis gets bent, I have a huge jump on my local track and while it's fun, it sure does cause some weird chassis bends just like Tony said right in between the center diff and the engine mount around the flywheel area there is less material, It's irritating that they don't last longer on most cars these days, I used to wear out the bottom before any real bend popped up. If you do try to bend it back be careful and remove the center diff, rear brace, and especially the radio tray or you will cause other stuff. and don't worry about totally removing the bend, just a little bit or you risk weakening the chassis even more.

Mostly though, it's quite normal to get a bend in the chassis after some hardcore racing, it doesn't really make the car handle horrible, just watch out for the engine clutch area getting too close to the fuel tank, that's another irritation, why so close to the freakin fuel tank anyway....
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

stick your knee in the middle of it and bend it back. Or get a flex tuned chassis or better yet a BCE chassis. Normal yes, Good for handling NO!!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Depends on how severe of a bow we're talking. A very slight bow is normal especially after some racing. If it has a hard bend in it, that's another story, but a shallow roll or bow to it is very normal. You can try bending it back, but it won't really help you any. Chassis' flex and bend so much constantly on the track that a perfectly straight chassis really doesn't make a difference. The chassis is always gonna be tweaked when running anyway. After all this is off-road. We have bumps and jumps.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If its not affecting nothing leave it alone shadow if it seems to make ur mesh not right etc, then take it off and straiten it. also since were talkin chassis dont by dragon racing knock off flex race roller chassis they are junk.