Wiki Posts
Search

removing tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *HOKE*
If you want to remove tires from wheels then oven is best way to do it.

150 celsius and 10-20 minutes and just pull tires from wheels.

So easy

Just try it and be amazed

Pending the foam's, Kiss em good bye.

So difficult metods...

Oven will save wheels and inserts. Faster and you can do it in your kitchen.

False, AKA for instance, you will bake the oil's right out of the foam and they are now ruined.

Difficult? since when is putting a Tire in a Container and leaving it for a day or so Difficult ?

I'll take the acetone stink VS Burning glue/rubber/potential to burn yourself Any day of the week.

YES i have dismounted tires/rims with the oven method and i feel its NOT a wise idea and Acetone is a Much simpler solution.

Originally Posted by akiyama77
Don't submirge the tires in the acitone, its the fumes that do the work, there's also a thread or youtube vids on how to do this. I have 2 1 gallon paint cans with lids and made a wire frame to keep the rims off about 2 inches off the bottom of the can, pour about 1 inch of acitone, seal the can wait 24 hrs, and you'll see the glue is super soft, pull the tires off quickly, I found as the rims are exposed to air the glue will dry up again, you can repeat this if needed

After glue's been hit with Acetone (vapors or Directly) Its broken down the bonding agents in the glue and there for will never re-bond.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Acetone doesn't do anything to rims or inserts???

Never heard about gloves???

Sniffing that acetone vapor enough and you may burn your self because you dont understand to use gloves.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra

False, AKA for instance, you will bake the oil's right out of the foam and they are now ruined.

Difficult? since when is putting a Tire in a Container and leaving it for a day or so Difficult ?

I'll take the acetone stink VS Burning glue/rubber/potential to burn yourself Any day of the week.

YES i have dismounted tires/rims with the oven method and i feel its NOT a wise idea and Acetone is a Much simpler solution.

After glue's been hit with Acetone (vapors or Directly) Its broken down the bonding agents in the glue and there for will never re-bond.
Not true...
I had a set re-bond the first time I used acetone. I ended up having to do it twice. I pulled all my tires out of the bucket and let them sit as I cleaned the first one..... and sure enough the others had re-bonded.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

Acetone doesn't do anything to rims or inserts???

Never heard about gloves???

Sniffing that acetone vapor enough and you may burn your self because you dont understand to use gloves.

rims No, Inserts Yes pending which ones, Older standard inserts Blow up to 5X their size but will come back down after a little time...AKA's have proven to take Acetone in strides and come back for more, Some of the other MFG Closed cell/Molded inserts I cant speak for as I have never soaked them myself.

I use the vapor's to do 1 side then peel out the foam and submerge to get the other bead and remaining glue.

Gloves are not needed imo, its no worse then the fuel we get on our hands, Fumes are another story....Obviously Dont stand there Huffing the container, Try and work quick with the container open and have a spare rag handy for handling the tires.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rigger6983
Not true...
I had a set re-bond the first time I used acetone. I ended up having to do it twice. I pulled all my tires out of the bucket and let them sit as I cleaned the first one..... and sure enough the others had re-bonded.

Sorry but i feel that is not possible, Ive removed 100's of tires and once the bond is broken its NOT going to rebond itself in any way shape or form to its original self, Its just not possible.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed. I tried this method based on another thread and found the AKA foams baked to a nice thin strip. I used the xacto knife approach for round two. The only damage was a cramped hand.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry but i feel that is not possible, Ive removed 100's of tires and once the bond is broken its NOT going to rebond itself in any way shape or form to its original self, Its just not possible.
maybe they weren't in the acetone long enough! don't know but i know they did not come off like the first one. but then after I re-soaked them, I let the ones that I was not working with stay in the bucket, and they all came off flawlessly!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Lord

maybe they weren't in the acetone long enough! don't know but i know they did not come off like the first one. but then after I re-soaked them, I let the ones that I was not working with stay in the bucket, and they all came off flawlessly!

So you mean to say you never checked the other tires after removing as the bond was probably not 100% broken and required another dip to really release them.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Clarify

Let me just clarify on how I do mine as origionally posted, I cut the tires off as close the the rim as possible, the tires were trashed, then I took the foams off, I wanted the rims. and soaked them. Not in the actitone, I made a wire frame to keep them dry, I was afraid that they might weaken or warp, I soak them over night, or 24 hrs, and upon check to see how easy they peal off, I might add more act, I found that when you open the can they peal easy, but if you let them sit for a few minutes and them try to peal them off the tire will tear, I didn't intend to say anything about rebonding etc etc
Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Tech Regular

So you mean to say you never checked the other tires after removing as the bond was probably not 100% broken and required another dip to really release them.
No, I did check them and they did not come off like the first one! I guess I figured it was because they had re-bonded. I let them soak again and as I was cleaning the first one..... I left the others in the acetone. no more problems of them not coming off the rim.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Lord

No, I did check them and they did not come off like the first one! I guess I figured it was because they had re-bonded. I let them soak again and as I was cleaning the first one..... I left the others in the acetone. no more problems of them not coming off the rim.

Sorry for the confusion.

No problemo buddy
Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Tires and Rims

What is you end result?? Are you trying to save the Rim??

IF you are trying to save the rim, then, I suggest dropping the tire/rims in

a paint can full of acetone. I've been doing this for the last 10 years.

Never had a problem.

IF you are trying to save the foam, simply be careful when taking out to

foam from the tire. Let the foam sit outside in the air and it will shrink and dry

out. This is for the standard white foam. I have never tried this with the

Ofna Yellow, Red or Orange foam.

Keep the can sealed and you can re-use the acetone over and over. About 15 times, dispose of the old and add more.

I am still using the same 1 gallon of Acetone since the late 1990s.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sharp xacto blade a little patience and you have a clean set works everytime, seen hara do it at the nitro party after the race no point throwing a perfect rim cause one to many rims can get damaged and you still have a clean good tire.