Wiki Posts
Search

Set Screw Stripped - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Set Screw Stripped - Help!

Ok does anyone know a good way of removing a stripped set screw? Its in the front aluminum spindle or on my losi 8t.

I've tried heating the parts (burned my hand in the process). I tried hammering in a torq bit, didn't work. I even grinded off the rounded edge on one of my hex drivers and that didn't help either.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Drill it out with a #56 bit and use an Easyout. You may have to grind the tip off of the Easyout if it doesn't grab the leftover threads.

It may stick to the drill bit and just come out with the bit. Small setscrews aren't that tuff to get out.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stanton
Drill it out with a #56 bit and use an Easyout. You may have to grind the tip off of the Easyout if it doesn't grab the leftover threads.

It may stick to the drill bit and just come out with the bit. Small setscrews aren't that tuff to get out.
Its a pretty small hole and the easyouts i have won't fit. I may try drilling it out though. Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Just go to the Autoparts store and get a small one. Super cheap and you will probably need it again. Like when you try and get the axel setscrews out or the driveshaft yoke setscrews.

Also, you can drill it out and re-thread it to the next size thread
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Or trying spraying all the dirt out with nitro spray, and JB weld a small L-wrench on the grub screw.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have got a stripped screw stuck in my wheel axle, and still there... good luck...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Rookie

a left handed drill bit and a heat gun (if you used loctite) the bits can be found at any tool store like northern. the idea is with heat applied and a left turning bit it might catch the screw and run it out.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well the part is screwed and i never did get the set screw out. The last idiot who owned the truck must have used super glue, it doesn't look like loctite, the coating on the other screw that did come out is clear/hazy white. So there goes another $50 to replace a part. Fuck.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

watch your mouth young man
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah if you can't get it out you may just have to replace that part. I know it sucks but that's just part of this hobby. I use to get so pissed off when I would strip one out. When I got some real good tools I haven't had that problem any more. I'm not saying you don't have good tools I'm just talking about myself. The best thing I have found to work is if your taking out a screw that you know has loctite on it, heat it up before you even try to turn the screw for the first time. What I use is one of those long grill lighters and just hold it on there for a minute or so and it comes right out.

Last edited by J.Sears; 09-07-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.Sears
Yeah if you can't get it out you may just have to replace that part. I know it sucks but that's just part of this hobby. I use to get so pissed off when I would strip one out. When I got some real good tools I haven't had that problem any more. I'm not saying you don't have good tools I'm just talking about myself. The best thing I have found to work is if your taking out a screw that you know has loctite on it, heat it up before you even try to turn the screw for the first time. What I use is one of those long grill lighters and just hold it on there for a minute or so and it comes right out.
OK well today was a really bad day. All in all i'll have spent about $150 just to end up where i was this morning. All this without even driving the damn thing. I managed to ruin $100 worth of perfectly good aluminum parts and just had to order replacements to get back to where i started. When will i learn to leave well enough alone? I mean honestly, this hobby pisses me off sometimes.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Ok does anyone know a good way of removing a stripped set screw? Its in the front aluminum spindle or on my losi 8t.

I've tried heating the parts (burned my hand in the process). I tried hammering in a torq bit, didn't work. I even grinded off the rounded edge on one of my hex drivers and that didn't help either.
what type of hex wrenches are you using very common most wrenches don't go the full length into the set screw. I bought a cheap hex set from home depot the bits are super long they go all the way into the set screw. I had two set screws strip the bits took out the strip screws no problem.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
what type of hex wrenches are you using very common most wrenches don't go the full length into the set screw. I bought a cheap hex set from home depot the bits are super long they go all the way into the set screw. I had two set screws strip the bits took out the strip screws no problem.
I'm using team losi hex wrenches. I also have a few extra sets laying around including torq bits and each one of them did nothing. In fact i ended up breaking off one of my losi tips in the set screw, so now i get to replace that part too. I ended up completely destructing the part, and it took hours. Those friggin tin hinge pins are bulletproof. I hacked up the aluminum part with a dremel and still nothing. That set screw ended up becoming one with the aluminum. I even tried drilling it out with no results. In fact in the end you can no longer see where the set screw went. At least i saved the hub carrier but not without scratches all over it.

So anyhow i ended up just buying replacements last night. Its another $100 i shouldn't have had to fork over and if this happens again i will go with plastic instead. Its just not worth the time and effort to mess with aluminum. So at this point once those parts get here i'll be back to where i was yesterday morning, and i can live with that.

Long story short, lesson learned the hard and expensive way. Gotta love this hobby, it manages to drain your wallet wether you know what you are doing or not :/
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

I have taken a smaller allen arench then the screw is and used like super glue and glued it inside. Since they are so small normally they come out with little effort. A small enough easy out would be my next choice.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
I'm using team losi hex wrenches. I also have a few extra sets laying around including torq bits and each one of them did nothing. In fact i ended up breaking off one of my losi tips in the set screw, so now i get to replace that part too. I ended up completely destructing the part, and it took hours. Those friggin tin hinge pins are bulletproof. I hacked up the aluminum part with a dremel and still nothing. That set screw ended up becoming one with the aluminum. I even tried drilling it out with no results. In fact in the end you can no longer see where the set screw went. At least i saved the hub carrier but not without scratches all over it.

So anyhow i ended up just buying replacements last night. Its another $100 i shouldn't have had to fork over and if this happens again i will go with plastic instead. Its just not worth the time and effort to mess with aluminum. So at this point once those parts get here i'll be back to where i was yesterday morning, and i can live with that.

Long story short, lesson learned the hard and expensive way. Gotta love this hobby, it manages to drain your wallet wether you know what you are doing or not :/
Those tips are short. You can buy a harder material set screw or get a bit that goes all the way into those silver screws been there done that my dremel was my best friend took all the frustration away thou.