R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Set Screw Stripped - Help!

Ok does anyone know a good way of removing a stripped set screw? Its in the front aluminum spindle or on my losi 8t.

I've tried heating the parts (burned my hand in the process). I tried hammering in a torq bit, didn't work. I even grinded off the rounded edge on one of my hex drivers and that didn't help either.
__________________
8ight 2.0 - Go Engine 7 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & Hitec 5625MG
8ight-T 2.0 - Go Engine 3 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & 1313
Extreme-Mods.com - Xbox 360 & PS3 Mods, Parts, and Accessories
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 234
Default

Drill it out with a #56 bit and use an Easyout. You may have to grind the tip off of the Easyout if it doesn't grab the leftover threads.

It may stick to the drill bit and just come out with the bit. Small setscrews aren't that tuff to get out.
__________________
Horizon Hobby/Spektrum/Byrons/TLR/Houstons Engine Service
Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Drill it out with a #56 bit and use an Easyout. You may have to grind the tip off of the Easyout if it doesn't grab the leftover threads.

It may stick to the drill bit and just come out with the bit. Small setscrews aren't that tuff to get out.
Its a pretty small hole and the easyouts i have won't fit. I may try drilling it out though. Thanks
__________________
8ight 2.0 - Go Engine 7 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & Hitec 5625MG
8ight-T 2.0 - Go Engine 3 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & 1313
Extreme-Mods.com - Xbox 360 & PS3 Mods, Parts, and Accessories
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 234
Default

Just go to the Autoparts store and get a small one. Super cheap and you will probably need it again. Like when you try and get the axel setscrews out or the driveshaft yoke setscrews.

Also, you can drill it out and re-thread it to the next size thread
__________________
Horizon Hobby/Spektrum/Byrons/TLR/Houstons Engine Service
Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
secretsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Or trying spraying all the dirt out with nitro spray, and JB weld a small L-wrench on the grub screw.
secretsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
aiyoaiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 496
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

i have got a stripped screw stuck in my wheel axle, and still there... good luck...
__________________
WiCkeD RaCinG TeaM
HPI Savage X 4.6 RDLogics Exhaust
Thunder Tiger ST-1 Alpha .23 Jammin JP-3
Xray 808 AxeMotorRossi .21 Mamba Jammin JP-1
Serpent S960 GRP .21
aiyoaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2
Default

a left handed drill bit and a heat gun (if you used loctite) the bits can be found at any tool store like northern. the idea is with heat applied and a left turning bit it might catch the screw and run it out.
poprlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Well the part is screwed and i never did get the set screw out. The last idiot who owned the truck must have used super glue, it doesn't look like loctite, the coating on the other screw that did come out is clear/hazy white. So there goes another $50 to replace a part. Fuck.
__________________
8ight 2.0 - Go Engine 7 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & Hitec 5625MG
8ight-T 2.0 - Go Engine 3 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & 1313
Extreme-Mods.com - Xbox 360 & PS3 Mods, Parts, and Accessories
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

watch your mouth young man
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
J.Sears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Versailles KY
Posts: 837
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Yeah if you can't get it out you may just have to replace that part. I know it sucks but that's just part of this hobby. I use to get so pissed off when I would strip one out. When I got some real good tools I haven't had that problem any more. I'm not saying you don't have good tools I'm just talking about myself. The best thing I have found to work is if your taking out a screw that you know has loctite on it, heat it up before you even try to turn the screw for the first time. What I use is one of those long grill lighters and just hold it on there for a minute or so and it comes right out.

Last edited by J.Sears; 09-07-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Wrong word
J.Sears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Sears View Post
Yeah if you can't get it out you may just have to replace that part. I know it sucks but that's just part of this hobby. I use to get so pissed off when I would strip one out. When I got some real good tools I haven't had that problem any more. I'm not saying you don't have good tools I'm just talking about myself. The best thing I have found to work is if your taking out a screw that you know has loctite on it, heat it up before you even try to turn the screw for the first time. What I use is one of those long grill lighters and just hold it on there for a minute or so and it comes right out.
OK well today was a really bad day. All in all i'll have spent about $150 just to end up where i was this morning. All this without even driving the damn thing. I managed to ruin $100 worth of perfectly good aluminum parts and just had to order replacements to get back to where i started. When will i learn to leave well enough alone? I mean honestly, this hobby pisses me off sometimes.
__________________
8ight 2.0 - Go Engine 7 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & Hitec 5625MG
8ight-T 2.0 - Go Engine 3 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & 1313
Extreme-Mods.com - Xbox 360 & PS3 Mods, Parts, and Accessories
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Tech Champion
 
bigjayjay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,605
Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
Ok does anyone know a good way of removing a stripped set screw? Its in the front aluminum spindle or on my losi 8t.

I've tried heating the parts (burned my hand in the process). I tried hammering in a torq bit, didn't work. I even grinded off the rounded edge on one of my hex drivers and that didn't help either.
what type of hex wrenches are you using very common most wrenches don't go the full length into the set screw. I bought a cheap hex set from home depot the bits are super long they go all the way into the set screw. I had two set screws strip the bits took out the strip screws no problem.
__________________
TEAM: SERPENT AMERICA DRIVER -ADVANTAGE RACING PRODUCTS-COMPETITION HEAT INC - HOBBYPRO, VPPRO - BCE-
Serpent: 811N, 811T, 811E
bigjayjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
what type of hex wrenches are you using very common most wrenches don't go the full length into the set screw. I bought a cheap hex set from home depot the bits are super long they go all the way into the set screw. I had two set screws strip the bits took out the strip screws no problem.
I'm using team losi hex wrenches. I also have a few extra sets laying around including torq bits and each one of them did nothing. In fact i ended up breaking off one of my losi tips in the set screw, so now i get to replace that part too. I ended up completely destructing the part, and it took hours. Those friggin tin hinge pins are bulletproof. I hacked up the aluminum part with a dremel and still nothing. That set screw ended up becoming one with the aluminum. I even tried drilling it out with no results. In fact in the end you can no longer see where the set screw went. At least i saved the hub carrier but not without scratches all over it.

So anyhow i ended up just buying replacements last night. Its another $100 i shouldn't have had to fork over and if this happens again i will go with plastic instead. Its just not worth the time and effort to mess with aluminum. So at this point once those parts get here i'll be back to where i was yesterday morning, and i can live with that.

Long story short, lesson learned the hard and expensive way. Gotta love this hobby, it manages to drain your wallet wether you know what you are doing or not :/
__________________
8ight 2.0 - Go Engine 7 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & Hitec 5625MG
8ight-T 2.0 - Go Engine 3 port | VP-Pro | Avid | Ace/XP 1015 & 1313
Extreme-Mods.com - Xbox 360 & PS3 Mods, Parts, and Accessories
WillowBayNaturals.com - Handmade soap, lotions and body products made by my wife. Her lotions and soaps are flat out amazing. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Tech Adept
 
WhoIsShaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 121
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I have taken a smaller allen arench then the screw is and used like super glue and glued it inside. Since they are so small normally they come out with little effort. A small enough easy out would be my next choice.
WhoIsShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
Tech Champion
 
bigjayjay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,605
Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
I'm using team losi hex wrenches. I also have a few extra sets laying around including torq bits and each one of them did nothing. In fact i ended up breaking off one of my losi tips in the set screw, so now i get to replace that part too. I ended up completely destructing the part, and it took hours. Those friggin tin hinge pins are bulletproof. I hacked up the aluminum part with a dremel and still nothing. That set screw ended up becoming one with the aluminum. I even tried drilling it out with no results. In fact in the end you can no longer see where the set screw went. At least i saved the hub carrier but not without scratches all over it.

So anyhow i ended up just buying replacements last night. Its another $100 i shouldn't have had to fork over and if this happens again i will go with plastic instead. Its just not worth the time and effort to mess with aluminum. So at this point once those parts get here i'll be back to where i was yesterday morning, and i can live with that.

Long story short, lesson learned the hard and expensive way. Gotta love this hobby, it manages to drain your wallet wether you know what you are doing or not :/
Those tips are short. You can buy a harder material set screw or get a bit that goes all the way into those silver screws been there done that my dremel was my best friend took all the frustration away thou.
__________________
TEAM: SERPENT AMERICA DRIVER -ADVANTAGE RACING PRODUCTS-COMPETITION HEAT INC - HOBBYPRO, VPPRO - BCE-
Serpent: 811N, 811T, 811E
bigjayjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! wheel hex set screw stripped jeff_ellis_9 Nitro Off-Road 11 10-17-2014 04:33 AM
Stripped Hex screw(s)... HELP! talentsearch301 Oval, Larger Scales and More 7 01-01-2009 10:12 AM
RC gear keep stripping please help! qdv Electric Off-Road 9 05-06-2007 09:45 AM
Pinion Gears Set and where to get them... rcnewb2004 Electric On-Road 11 06-10-2006 09:11 AM
Help needed, i stripped the grub screw on my pinion.. MrRolla Australian Racing 17 05-28-2004 04:34 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:01 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net