R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Looking for input

I recently purchased a novarossi 21 plus 4 and i attempted break in by myself and now the engine is not working. i have taken it apart and tried to find out what is wrong but i have no idea. would it better for me to send off the engine for repairs somewhere(can you recommend a place) or to just outright by a new engine.

Thanks
infernogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Send it to Fusionmotorsports.com

They will fix it for free and send it back to you. They are the factory Nova go to guys.
400units is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hold on a sec. Before you send it anywhere can you tell us what you mean by "not Working"? Did you change the glowplug? Do you preheat the engine? How many tanks of fuel did you get through it?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

i used a heat gun and it has about a half gallon of fuel through it. before i took it apart it would never run consistently for any length of time so i took it apart to see if anything was wrong internally. i didnt see anything and rebuilt it and put oil on everything as i rebuilt it. when i restarted the motor after tear down it now makes a metallic ping sound so i shut it down
Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

One of two things, Either you did not push the crankshaft all the way in, or you put the piston in backwards. Take it apart again and look and see if the skirt on your piston is bent or broken. Did you lose any of the head shims when you took it apart?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernogt1 View Post
i used a heat gun and it has about a half gallon of fuel through it. before i took it apart it would never run consistently for any length of time so i took it apart to see if anything was wrong internally.
With a little more help from you, you might get some great help back.

What kinds of things would it be doing? Did it sound like anything? Did you use a temp gauge for your partial break in and what kind of temps? How was/is the fuel line, new? Is the fuel tank new or does it have any kind of bad seals in the lid? Have you tried a pinch test as a guide? Have you moved any needles durring break in?
.....// (..)//
....//___// Support NRA!
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

i could not get the engine to run consistently. it would die within about 30 sec of start. the flywheel would always be very hot after running. i moved the needles tried different glow plugs. the engine never temped real high but it was difficult to get a good temp reading because i could never get the engine to run for a long enough period of time. all of the fuel lines were new the tank was new and the seals in the tank were good. i think there was an air leak with the front bearing but i am not completely sure.
as for putting in the piston backwards that could have been totally possible and i never saw any head shims when i took off the head so there could be an issue with that as well.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
i could not get the engine to run consistently. it would die within about 30 sec of start. the flywheel would always be very hot after running. i moved the needles tried different glow plugs. the engine never temped real high but it was difficult to get a good temp reading because i could never get the engine to run for a long enough period of time. all of the fuel lines were new the tank was new and the seals in the tank were good. i think there was an air leak with the front bearing but i am not completely sure.
as for putting in the piston backwards that could have been totally possible and i never saw any head shims when i took off the head so there could be an issue with that as well.
when the engine is new its very rich, youll need to raise the idle to keep it running, sometime you even have to lean the bottom needle a bit but not much. read the break in bible, it will help a lot.

yes there are shims on the head button, if you dont know what your doing you should get with someone local to help you out. sending it somewhere wont help you learn anything

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

i have tried local help and most still havent been able to get the engine to run consistently. i understand that doing it myself ill learn more but ive had such a problem with this i want it solved so i can enjoy running my buggy again
Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I would

Quote:
i have tried local help and most still havent been able to get the engine to run consistently. i understand that doing it myself ill learn more but ive had such a problem with this i want it solved so i can enjoy running my buggy again
Contact Houstons Engine Service, Novarossi USA is more of a distributor than anything else, Monty knows engines...