R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: outside raleigh,nc
Posts: 33
Default Looking for input

I recently purchased a novarossi 21 plus 4 and i attempted break in by myself and now the engine is not working. i have taken it apart and tried to find out what is wrong but i have no idea. would it better for me to send off the engine for repairs somewhere(can you recommend a place) or to just outright by a new engine.


Thanks
infernogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 201
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Send it to Fusionmotorsports.com

They will fix it for free and send it back to you. They are the factory Nova go to guys.
400units is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Hold on a sec. Before you send it anywhere can you tell us what you mean by "not Working"? Did you change the glowplug? Do you preheat the engine? How many tanks of fuel did you get through it?
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: outside raleigh,nc
Posts: 33
Default

i used a heat gun and it has about a half gallon of fuel through it. before i took it apart it would never run consistently for any length of time so i took it apart to see if anything was wrong internally. i didnt see anything and rebuilt it and put oil on everything as i rebuilt it. when i restarted the motor after tear down it now makes a metallic ping sound so i shut it down
infernogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

One of two things, Either you did not push the crankshaft all the way in, or you put the piston in backwards. Take it apart again and look and see if the skirt on your piston is bent or broken. Did you lose any of the head shims when you took it apart?
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernogt1 View Post
i used a heat gun and it has about a half gallon of fuel through it. before i took it apart it would never run consistently for any length of time so i took it apart to see if anything was wrong internally.
With a little more help from you, you might get some great help back.

What kinds of things would it be doing? Did it sound like anything? Did you use a temp gauge for your partial break in and what kind of temps? How was/is the fuel line, new? Is the fuel tank new or does it have any kind of bad seals in the lid? Have you tried a pinch test as a guide? Have you moved any needles durring break in?
__________________
.......__________________
....../_==o;;;;;;;;__ _____]
.....), ---.(_(__)
.....// (..)//
....//___// Support NRA!
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: outside raleigh,nc
Posts: 33
Default

i could not get the engine to run consistently. it would die within about 30 sec of start. the flywheel would always be very hot after running. i moved the needles tried different glow plugs. the engine never temped real high but it was difficult to get a good temp reading because i could never get the engine to run for a long enough period of time. all of the fuel lines were new the tank was new and the seals in the tank were good. i think there was an air leak with the front bearing but i am not completely sure.
as for putting in the piston backwards that could have been totally possible and i never saw any head shims when i took off the head so there could be an issue with that as well.
infernogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernogt1 View Post
i could not get the engine to run consistently. it would die within about 30 sec of start. the flywheel would always be very hot after running. i moved the needles tried different glow plugs. the engine never temped real high but it was difficult to get a good temp reading because i could never get the engine to run for a long enough period of time. all of the fuel lines were new the tank was new and the seals in the tank were good. i think there was an air leak with the front bearing but i am not completely sure.
as for putting in the piston backwards that could have been totally possible and i never saw any head shims when i took off the head so there could be an issue with that as well.
when the engine is new its very rich, youll need to raise the idle to keep it running, sometime you even have to lean the bottom needle a bit but not much. read the break in bible, it will help a lot.

yes there are shims on the head button, if you dont know what your doing you should get with someone local to help you out. sending it somewhere wont help you learn anything
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: outside raleigh,nc
Posts: 33
Default

i have tried local help and most still havent been able to get the engine to run consistently. i understand that doing it myself ill learn more but ive had such a problem with this i want it solved so i can enjoy running my buggy again
infernogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernogt1 View Post
i have tried local help and most still havent been able to get the engine to run consistently. i understand that doing it myself ill learn more but ive had such a problem with this i want it solved so i can enjoy running my buggy again
Contact Houstons Engine Service, Novarossi USA is more of a distributor than anything else, Monty knows engines...
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for input on a new .21 for my x2 crt mista.matrix Nitro Off-Road 17 02-07-2010 05:54 AM
Looking for input on a new rc track in the fox valley. pmvtech Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 29 01-17-2010 12:16 PM
Looking for a boat. dont slow down RC Boating 18 09-15-2009 06:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:56 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net