Wiki Posts
Search

Tyre cutting (astroturf)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Tyre cutting (astroturf)

Hi guys,

I'm running on astroturf and I cut my tires on the outside, but I also see guys cutting the inner rows of the tire. Why is that? Cutting the outside seems logical cause the car will drift instead of griproll when leaning over too far. Why do they cut the inside of the tires?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Outside i tend to think of is to prevent grip roll. Cutting the inside i see it as making the car smoother on the power. With the massive amount of grip you can get, if it gets out of shape then regains grip it can be quite 'violent'. By cutting the inside off it helps that problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

I know a few guys that run the mini pins and cut the outer 3 rows and the 2 inside rows. I have only 1 outside cutted on mine but I still have a bit too much grip, but I think I should cut less cause my car is heavier than the nitro brothers. I have problems that the car griproll while trying to steer a little under breaking and ofcourse when I take a corner when going too fast. Pushing the car is very hard or it will roll. The only benefit is that you need to drive very smooth and very controlled which is good for practice I'm racing my mini pins (yellow) with aka foams and rims for the first time this weekend and I guess I'll be pushing the car more when I'm under stress. I guess I'll cut some more pins. I've always drive the spirals before, but they aren't as good as the minipins for me. I'm having problems with the spirals when landing of jumps. Well most jumps are fine, but there's 1 jump in our straight that you shouldn't take straight cause there's an apex after it. You always land the jump on your right front wheel and then the car flips over with spirals, with mini pins you're able to land it. It's still a bit twichy tho, but you don't flip over.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, I think trimming is very person/track dependant.. I know alot of people that have cut so there is about 3 lines of pins.. and some even. Scrub them in on some concrete.. to wear away the initial bite.. but its all trial and error I think personally..
Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

I cut them with a lexan scissor and then take my dremel to make them smooth. Maybe concrete works too, lol