Wiki Posts
Search

Help please, what to do ? :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Default Help please, what to do ? :(

Hello everyone,

Ive recently doing the break in process on my motor and kyosho DST, a while ago i had a problem so i changed the sleeve and piston and con rod, now iv'e done 3 fuel tank while idling the car on a stand .
When i decided to put it on the road and ru nit slowly, it would fire up but when i kept it on my hand, the wheels would spin so that when i put the car on the ground, it would go about 5 mph or so, but when i put the car on the ground and tryed not to move, the engine would either die out or move, if i lowered the idle so that the wheels dont spin, in my hand it would run good but on the ground it would die out.
Another time, when i left the idle on high ( so that it doesnt die out ) when i accelerated on the ground, i could see alot of blue smoke coming out ( i mean alot ), i could rev the engine quite abit before the car would start to move ...... I thought that i could be running it rich, but when i touch the cooling head, its as hot as a cofee in a mug ( quite dam hot ), is it normall for it to be that hot ( as i also run elecetric and motors are alot cooler ) or what is it ? .........
PS : i run a no4 glow plug in UK ( temps of weather are about 15 degrees celcius ) and 16% nitro .
Thank you alot
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sounds like your clutch is engaged. Take the clutch bell off the motor and see if the clutch shoe spring(s) is broken.
Another thing to check, make sure when you are hitting your brakes, you aren't closing the carb completely. You want a small opening when the car is at idle, like .5-1mm. If the carb is being closed, just adjust the idle screw to keep it open that little bit when the brakes are applied.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Hello everyone,

Ive recently doing the break in process on my motor and kyosho DST, a while ago i had a problem so i changed the sleeve and piston and con rod, now iv'e done 3 fuel tank while idling the car on a stand .
When i decided to put it on the road and ru nit slowly, it would fire up but when i kept it on my hand, the wheels would spin so that when i put the car on the ground, it would go about 5 mph or so, but when i put the car on the ground and tryed not to move, the engine would either die out or move, if i lowered the idle so that the wheels dont spin, in my hand it would run good but on the ground it would die out.
Another time, when i left the idle on high ( so that it doesnt die out ) when i accelerated on the ground, i could see alot of blue smoke coming out ( i mean alot ), i could rev the engine quite abit before the car would start to move ...... I thought that i could be running it rich, but when i touch the cooling head, its as hot as a cofee in a mug ( quite dam hot ), is it normall for it to be that hot ( as i also run elecetric and motors are alot cooler ) or what is it ? .........
PS : i run a no4 glow plug in UK ( temps of weather are about 15 degrees celcius ) and 16% nitro .
Thank you alot
I would have thought the clutch was engaging too (bad springs) but you said even at a low RPM it runs good on the ground but as soon as you give it gas it dies.

This sounds like a rich LSN. TONS of blue smoke is just that. You want some smoke but tons, no...

As far as heat, water boils at 212F. How long can you keep your hand in a pot of boiling water?

Get yourself a temp guage and let that be the (starting point) judge.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by got_nitro
I would have thought the clutch was engaging too (bad springs) but you said even at a low RPM it runs good on the ground but as soon as you give it gas it dies.

This sounds like a rich LSN. TONS of blue smoke is just that. You want some smoke but tons, no...

As far as heat, water boils at 212F. How long can you keep your hand in a pot of boiling water?

Get yourself a temp guage and let that be the (starting point) judge.
Thanks, but yes, the car would run a low speeds but the wheels would spin so the car moves, when i put it on the ground, is moves ( spinning wheels ) but slowly.
About that boiling water trick ... really smart , il try it out , ive also heard that nitro engone have to run between 230-250 degrees F, so i think that nitro is defenetly much much hotter then electric .
But one thing, where do i touch, the cooling head or the case, because my cooling head is hotter then my case .
Thank you alot, il check the clutch
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Thanks, but yes, the car would run a low speeds but the wheels would spin so the car moves, when i put it on the ground, is moves ( spinning wheels ) but slowly.
About that boiling water trick ... really smart , il try it out , ive also heard that nitro engone have to run between 230-250 degrees F, so i think that nitro is defenetly much much hotter then electric .
But one thing, where do i touch, the cooling head or the case, because my cooling head is hotter then my case .
Thank you alot, il check the clutch
sounds like the low speed needle is set to rich to me also, i would turn it one full turn in and see if that helps, as far as a temp gauge/gun. if you have one throw it in the garbage. and if not dont waste money on one, sound and feel is the way to go, or do a pinch test.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by inferno13
sounds like the low speed needle is set to rich to me also, i would turn it one full turn in and see if that helps, as far as a temp gauge/gun. if you have one throw it in the garbage. and if not dont waste money on one, sound and feel is the way to go, or do a pinch test.
O/P, disregard everything this^^ poster said. DO NOT turn the LSN one full turn and run it. JEZZZ....

You need to slowly turn in the LSN only 5 min on a clock each time until you get the proper throttle response, or launch your looking for. If your new to nitro or have any doubts about tuning, get yourself a temp gun.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

I have the DBX, which is the same motor as the DST. For me the settings in the manual were insanely rich, it wouldn't even run at the break-in settings. And that motor runs really hot. Mine went 2.5 gallons then the rear bearing went out. I replaced it with an OS CV-R .18 and WOW what an improvement! Before you buy more parts for that motor, get the OS motor. Here's how:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/421856-kyosho-dbx-engine-transplant-os-cv-r-complete.html

Seriously that Kyosho motor was a PITA to tune. Sounds to me like you're way rich, lean it out and make sure your idle is low enough that the clutch isn't engaging. If your HSN is too rich and you hit the gas then it will load up, and sometimes when it loads up that much when you let off the throttle it will stall. At least mine did.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

O/P, disregard everything this^^ poster said. DO NOT turn the LSN one full turn and run it. JEZZZ....

You need to slowly turn in the LSN only 5 min on a clock each time until you get the proper throttle response, or launch your looking for. If your new to nitro or have any doubts about tuning, get yourself a temp gun.
get urself a temp gun for breaking in ur motor as its important to keep heat but not to much, as far as tuning to a temp, its horrible that was me at one time. tune to performance and smoke and then if u wnt to c what ur running as far as temps go give it a reading but tune to performance and if u have good smoke ur good
i heat cycle mine at 200 to 220 never hotter than 250
Old 09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Suspended

or you can do it the slow way like 5 minutes at a time till you reach 60 minutes.....LMAO. If the thing wont even move on the ground, it is way off! not just 5 min!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

or you can do it the slow way like 5 minutes at a time till you reach 60 minutes.....LMAO. If the thing wont even move on the ground, it is way off! not just 5 min!
Why would you even post that bad info in the first place? (1 whole full turn of the LSN?) Are you trying to ruin the guys mill? There should be a prerequisite before they allow some people to post

Let me ask you a question, what happens when you go out to your truck and turn the LSN In 1 full turn and run it? Let us know how that works out for ya...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd start with a quarter turn and go from there an hour or 2 at a time. He might end up turning it 1 full turn by the time he gets where he needs to be but you might as well do it slowly, expecially at this stage of break-in.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Suspended

Why would you even post that bad info in the first place? (1 whole full turn of the LSN?) Are you trying to ruin the guys mill? There should be a prerequisite before they allow some people to post

Let me ask you a question, what happens when you go out to your truck and turn the LSN In 1 full turn and run it? Let us know how that works out for ya...
if it wont even run the way it is, and i turned it in one full turn it would atleast run, i know how to tune a engine. i would also suggest set back at factory settings and go from there. you stated you where a newbie in other posts, now you are a expert overnight?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

if it wont even run the way it is, and i turned it in one full turn it would atleast run, i know how to tune a engine. i would also suggest set back at factory settings and go from there. you stated you where a newbie in other posts, now you are a expert overnight?
My only concern would be what if he did turn it one full turn and it did start to run, and then decided hrmm if one turn makes it run this good how about one more? Thats when he'd run into some issues. An hour or 2 at a time and at least he wouldn't be so tempted to make drastic changes and can get a feel for how much it helps for each turn he makes.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also he might be better off using the hsn to get it to run, cuz even if he does get it to run when he throttles it, it'll die, then when he changes the hsn to compensate his lsn will be way too lean. So personally i'd give it an hour or 2 turn on the high speed needle first and see if that helps. Then maybe adjust the lsn alittle as well. The lsn usually doesn't need drastic changes from factory settings, but may once its broke in. If it idles just fine then chances are the lsn is pretty decent where its at.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Noob in other postes (you mean that traxxas post) was sarcastic. Tuning by 1 whole full turn and then trying to defend that rediculas statment is not how it's done son...

Like I said, let us know how that 1 whole full turn on your LSN works out for ya.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.