R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gaylord,MI and Owosso,MI
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default pros and cons of nitro?

can you nitro guys out there give me the pros and cons of nitro? thanks really appreciate it
__________________
TEAM HOLY ROLLERS
Team Associated B5M
PHILIPPIANS 4:13
bbrace3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

My personal Pro's and Cons:

Pro's:
-longer runtime
-smell
-more realistic to work on
-no battery worries

Con's"
-noisy (not really a problem but if you got close neighbors, well, you know...)
-tuning can be a pain
-costly sometimes (i.e. fuel @ $25 gal, servos, motors, etc.)
-Nitro is fast, but compared to some electrics, nitro is much slower
__________________
Team Losi Buggy
GO Tech 5 port RB Mods
AKA
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

If you got good gear and running equipment you shouldnt have issues. Maybe just some spare parts, glow plugs, bearings and you should be set. As far as compairing to electric it costs more because fuel, normally race price is more and parts are more to but its worth the fun, I have more fun running me nitros then electrics once i got good gear.
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

pros
1. the sound of the engine running you cant beat that.
2. the smoke and noise and smell of the fuel
3. just more exciteing to race more of a rush


cons
1. the engine does need tuning most of the time but nothing major really
2. it is more messy than electrics but nothing a air compresser cant help
3. buying fuel is about $30 but it can last you almost a mouth if you dont practice all the time.

4. clutches require matenience but not to hard to matain.

5. yea nitro can be slower than electic 1/8 but electric is harder to drive and a lot of tracks i know never have enough of them to make a class.

so basilly i say go for the nitro its more funner and you will be happy you did.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post

5. yea nitro can be slower than electic 1/8 but electric is harder to drive and a lot of tracks i know never have enough of them to make a class.

so basilly i say go for the nitro its more funner and you will be happy you did.
NOOOO electric 1/8 is way easier to run, how do you figure its harder? With electric you have instent power and torque. An elctric needs like no run to clear what nitros need alot of run to clear. Electric is way easier to run and clean its the girly way to run 1/8th. Also electric in nitro class have advantage in small mains because no pits!
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
NOOOO electric 1/8 is way easier to run, how do you figure its harder? With electric you have instent power and torque. An elctric needs like no run to clear what nitros need alot of run to clear. Electric is way easier to run and clean its the girly way to run 1/8th. Also electric in nitro class have advantage in small mains because no pits!



no lol i, meant that they are harder to drive because of all the torque it has.

i know, there has been a couple of 1/8 elec truggy/buggy and the guys driving the nitro i see winning every time.

sure a, 1/8 electric can clear some bigger jumps easier but with nitro just hold in the throttle and it can clear it.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gaylord,MI and Owosso,MI
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

there are a few electric buggys up here but no nitros so maybe i will be the oddball and go for nitro. you know i drove nick vasquaz d8 and wanted to sell my ve8 instantly....sucky thing is i can race them when i go race my 2wd buggy. i will have to sell my t4 to get me a nitro buggy...we have had arguments at one of my local tracks about running nitro and electric together...but you just have to drive harder and smoother and use the throttle wisly....thanks for the input guys!!! keep it coming...(i did notice the guys are more helpful in the nitro world then electric)
__________________
TEAM HOLY ROLLERS
Team Associated B5M
PHILIPPIANS 4:13
bbrace3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
NitroXray80809's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 3,249
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrace3m View Post
there are a few electric buggys up here but no nitros so maybe i will be the oddball and go for nitro. you know i drove nick vasquaz d8 and wanted to sell my ve8 instantly....sucky thing is i can race them when i go race my 2wd buggy. i will have to sell my t4 to get me a nitro buggy...we have had arguments at one of my local tracks about running nitro and electric together...but you just have to drive harder and smoother and use the throttle wisly....thanks for the input guys!!! keep it coming...(i did notice the guys are more helpful in the nitro world then electric)
Nitro is really fun, one thing you will notice when you do the switch it is commentment, and alot more fidling then just plug in a battery like electric. It is way more work, as for the D8 for the price they are sweeeeeeet!
__________________
Xray XB4 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Hobbywing | SpeedPassion | JC |

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gaylord,MI and Owosso,MI
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
Nitro is really fun, one thing you will notice when you do the switch it is commentment, and alot more fidling then just plug in a battery like electric. It is way more work, as for the D8 for the price they are sweeeeeeet!
i am trying to a rc8b but kinda short on money right now....im 15 birthday is coming a couple months so im starting to work on a project jeep to drive..i had a ve8 and liked it but i went 2 esc in a month. and 180 esc gets pricy when it takes 1 month to get back...what engine is a good one to start on? something thats not too expensive cuase i will probly ruin it
__________________
TEAM HOLY ROLLERS
Team Associated B5M
PHILIPPIANS 4:13
bbrace3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrace3m View Post
there are a few electric buggys up here but no nitros so maybe i will be the oddball and go for nitro. you know i drove nick vasquaz d8 and wanted to sell my ve8 instantly....sucky thing is i can race them when i go race my 2wd buggy. i will have to sell my t4 to get me a nitro buggy...we have had arguments at one of my local tracks about running nitro and electric together...but you just have to drive harder and smoother and use the throttle wisly....thanks for the input guys!!! keep it coming...(i did notice the guys are more helpful in the nitro world then electric)



well from, only running a electric a long time ago guys who run electric are more to, them selfs and thats why i like running nitro you can get more help and are more willing to pit for you and than you pit for them you get to meet people more.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrace3m View Post
i am trying to a rc8b but kinda short on money right now....im 15 birthday is coming a couple months so im starting to work on a project jeep to drive..i had a ve8 and liked it but i went 2 esc in a month. and 180 esc gets pricy when it takes 1 month to get back...what engine is a good one to start on? something thats not too expensive cuase i will probly ruin it



well dont start out with a italy made engine since they are very tight to break in .

i whould get a dynamite mach .21 engine there easy to break in easy to tune and pretty fast too.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gaylord,MI and Owosso,MI
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
well from, only running a electric a long time ago guys who run electric are more to, them selfs and thats why i like running nitro you can get more help and are more willing to pit for you and than you pit for them you get to meet people more.
perfect example....i did my first hot start last month and was told that i am good kid. i pulled a guys battery out of a car that was getting ready to burst in flames and got nothing...mad me sad i didnt get anything for risking that blowing up in my hand
__________________
TEAM HOLY ROLLERS
Team Associated B5M
PHILIPPIANS 4:13
bbrace3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gaylord,MI and Owosso,MI
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
well dont start out with a italy made engine since they are very tight to break in .

i whould get a dynamite mach .21 engine there easy to break in easy to tune and pretty fast too.
thats what ive been thinking and i work at a HS as you can see in my signature. they are 129.99 on a main so i bet my cost isnt much over 100 bucks..just like buying a mamba max pro
__________________
TEAM HOLY ROLLERS
Team Associated B5M
PHILIPPIANS 4:13
bbrace3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
Tech Addict
 
mattozx6rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 583
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

pros

Sound and smell.
More realistic to drive.
More exciting to race.
Very short learning curve.
Less technical.

cons
Fuel cost.
Sometimes tuning(especially on a day with big temp swings)
more wear parts to replace.
Can be a little messy to clean up (especially if your pit guy washes your car in fuel)
Not as torqy as electric.

Honestly i run both electric and nitro. I am actually quite frustrated with electric as I am not very experienced in that side and the manufacturers have made it damn near impossible to get a grip on motor ratings let alone what works with what. It would seem that unless you possess a degree in quazi electrical physics you are doomed to never understand it. Nitro is not that way. Simple to understand and operate efficiently. Electric is sensored, unsensored, brushed, brushless, turns, kv and not all speed controlls will run all motors. Nitro you drop a motor in and go. Only considration is brand and size. I will keep running SC electric but, if a nitro class came along in my area I would gladly jump ship immediately.
__________________
1 X MBX6T plus 21-4c
Twisted Bones R/C apparel
mattozx6rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #15
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 614
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

If all you want to do is concentrate on driving then electric is nice. If you like to tinker and get more of a charge out of an actual engine running nitro is the best.

Personally I'll stay nitro as long as i can. If time becomes an issue one day maybe i'll try an electric but highly doubtful. BOOOOOOOOORING...
__________________
Losi 8ight T 2.0 - Mugen Ninja
Mugen Eco - Tekin 1900KV RX8
Byrons 30%
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Electric Rc Cars? m3anders Electric On-Road 29 09-20-2009 10:10 PM
pros and cons of rustler wichol98 Electric Off-Road 7 07-18-2009 02:47 PM
Pros and cons of 3 channel transmitter topsp33d Electric On-Road 8 04-01-2009 06:43 PM
explain to a newb-the pros and cons of truggies and buggies I'm Pro Nitro Off-Road 18 12-07-2008 08:50 PM
Belt drive versus shaft drive...pros and cons of each? AttackDonut Rookie Zone 21 01-02-2005 04:23 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:04 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net