R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 265 (100%+)

Damn i remember those day when i had a pullstart engine. Do they even sell those anymore? Anyway what i can tell you is, put some tape,bandaid or use gloves on your hand because everytime you try to turn on your engine pulling the pullstart string your going to get blisters on your fingers. Them things hurt and wont let you finish messing around with your engine.
guss2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
Tech Addict

At the beginning of the B5 thread Ron teaches you how to break in his engines it's very easy to follow it's how I broke in my RTR motor when I started so just go look at the 1st page of the B5 thread!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber9 View Post
I live in Hawaii, not too much people run nitro here. everyone including myself runs electric. just wanted to try nitro, seems a bit more fun than electric. kind of getting bored with electric.
Where in Hawaii if you live in Oahu Ill be more than happy to help you.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help. after reading all the post, i came to a conclusion that it's most likely something to do with the clutch. i will purchased a clutch set and hope thats the problem. as for the pullstart, the only reason i bought it was becauses i thought it would be easier to use. i see videos on youtube where the guy just pulls it a couple of times and the car just starts.
bomber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Tech Regular

bigjayjay1 i live in ewa beach. if the new clutch dont work out maybe i'll have to ask for your help! what part of the island are you from?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. after reading all the post, i came to a conclusion that it's most likely something to do with the clutch. i will purchased a clutch set and hope thats the problem. as for the pullstart, the only reason i bought it was becauses i thought it would be easier to use. i see videos on youtube where the guy just pulls it a couple of times and the car just starts.

you dont, want a pullstart engine inless you want bad blisters and also you have to have a good tune to get the engine to start up right away for some reason.

a starter box is way worth it.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Motor issues

Hey Bomber9.

First, I would pull the engine from the chassis. It sounds like the car/truck isn't the problem.

If the engine came with a clutch, maybe the clutch bearings are blown. The clutch bell should spin freely when out of the car (In the car as well) If the clutch doesn't spin, I'd replace the bearings. If the clutch spins, but, not much, I would again, still replace the bearings. (Unless the bearings look new. If the feel gritty, replace them)

Secondly, there could be a stuck clutch shoe. Take the center screw off the clutch. (Remember to keep in mind if there are any washers behind this screw, that you put everything back in the same place (same order))

IF the clutch bell is hard to take off, you could have a stuck shoe.

Let us know what happens at this point.

Have a great day.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey guys i just built my first nitro buggy, the D8. as my first engine, i decided to buy a used engine on ebay so i did not need to go through the process of braking it in. my question and problem is, when the engine is not mounted, the buggy roles forward and backwards very smoothly. but when i mount the engine on, it wont role at all. it feels like the brakes are on. it's like something is jammed. by the way it's an ofna hyper .21 pullstart engine. i havnt tried firing up the buggy yet because i'm afraid either the engine or the gears on the buggy will get jammed and get damaged. when i have it sitting on the ground, i've noticed that when i pull on the pullstart, the buggy will jerk forward. is this normal? according to the seller he only used it to break in the engine but decided to sell it because he wanted to try an engine without a pullstart. i took the engine apart and it's pretty clean and in new condition. did i buy a dud?
does the clutch bell spin freely?
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #24
Tech Regular

the clutch bell does spin smoothly. if i screw in the head screw all the way in, is it still suppose to be able to spin or is it suppose to be tight? mines is tight. i can only spin it through the flywheel.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
the clutch bell does spin smoothly. if i screw in the head screw all the way in, is it still suppose to be able to spin or is it suppose to be tight? mines is tight. i can only spin it through the flywheel.
Should spin free at all times. Clutch bell will be turning 30-40 thousand RPM. It must be free. Sounds like you're shimmed too tight.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #26
Tech Regular

ok guys, i figured it out. there was an extra ring under that gold cone under the flywheel. i think its called a collet. the ring was also gold so i thought it was suppose to be there. well i took it off and reassembled the whole clutch back together and there you go, now its all good!! the clutch bell spins freely and so does my d8. thanks everyone for all the help. i appreciated all the fast and helpful replies. i guess i'll see you guys again when i build the confidence to break in my B5!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Engine

Hey. We are all glad to help. We like out hobby and I think I can say we like to tinker with our toys. ( ) I mean, Ummm Hobbyware. (made that one up)

Have a good one and enjoy the Nitro side.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

well thats one way to reshim it I guess....

That shim behind your collet is used to make sure your gear mesh lines up correctly... the shims to use for spacing the bell will be on the front side of the front bearing or the rear side of the rear bearing.... now you must make sure there is not too much play in the bell... take the bell in your fingers, push it back and forth towards the motor... you want slight play when its tightened up, but not too much...
OS .21 XZB Speed w/ 2050
AKA - KO Propo - Fioroni - Byrons - Hitec - UPGRADE
Greenlee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #29
Tech Regular

it feels like it has enough play. but just out of ceriousity, what will happen if it is has too much play?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Hyper RX7

If it's got a lot of play, it means the mesh is only just touching the tips of the teeth on the clutch bell.... The less contact it makes, the more likely you are of stripping the teeth off the clutch bell.
Hyper RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote