Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mud Guards? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I made a set out of scrap body lexan the other week, if anything it keeps nitro exhaust off most of the shocks and dogbones even in the dry.

I'll keep running them for a bit easier cleanup even when dry, just my $0.02.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I cut up a glad Tupperware to make some mudguards when I had my 8ight. Basically free and do the job. Don't look bad either
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Who knew wind drag was such an issue for these cars...guess I'll have to disconnect that parachute I have attached to the rear wing.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgeezer
Who knew wind drag was such an issue for these cars...guess I'll have to disconnect that parachute I have attached to the rear wing.
I found my buggy was allot faster once I unchained it from the cinderblock
Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

after my friends said they cause drag, I told them to ream some holes in them they started to lol
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pntmachine
My vote is yes depending on the conditions. Racing in Florida especially thru the rainy season track conditions are going to warrant them. I make my own and even run them on my chassis gaurds as well. I have seen some cut up old buggy bodies and run them inside truck bodies to help. You can take on alot of weight with all that build up on the arms and chassis.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC00434.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC00435.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC01185.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC01188.jpg
Your STRR Looks awesome
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like them. Especially on the pipe side.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Prophet

well i, can see that when the mud gets couged up on the mud guards it will add weight but does a club racer notice it i dont really.

one thing, that helps to use them in all contions is that lets say your running rich the guards will help from gettting onto the rear hub bearings also.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
well i, can see that when the mud gets couged up on the mud guards it will add weight but does a club racer notice it i dont really.

one thing, that helps to use them in all contions is that lets say your running rich the guards will help from gettting onto the rear hub bearings also.
Wow weight isnt an issue to me maybe to anal people but without mug guards i see the axles and everything else just pack up instead and its more of a pain to wipe off axles then mud guards. Also running rich and oild getting on rear bearings wont hurt them its oil lubrication basically thats not a harm, mud guard were made generally for a lazy person to not clean as much not to actually help but they do preserve so wear from areas like axles and bearings.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Wow weight isnt an issue to me maybe to anal people but without mug guards i see the axles and everything else just pack up instead and its more of a pain to wipe off axles then mud guards. Also running rich and oild getting on rear bearings wont hurt them its oil lubrication basically thats not a harm, mud guard were made generally for a lazy person to not clean as much not to actually help but they do preserve so wear from areas like axles and bearings.

oh yea i remember, not running the mud guards and that wont happen again lol yea i know the fuel wont hurt the bearings but it will collect more dirt on the bearings which can be a bad thing .

trust me i dont care for cleaning a mud covered 1/8 or espially a slash
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
I am a lazy person, because i love my DE mud guards. They make life alot easier when it comes to cleaning, and i am one of those anal guys that wants my car to look brand new before each heat.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
I am a lazy person, because i love my DE mud guards. They make life alot easier when it comes to cleaning, and i am one of those anal guys that wants my car to look brand new before each heat.
I must be lazy too John... ""Mud guards were made for a lazy person""...

I guess Im anal too... ""weight issues dont matter unless your anal""...

Would this make me "lazily anal?" or "analy lazy?"
Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

personaly i don't run them in normal conditions but if the car was starting to get a lot of stuf in the rear suspension then yes i will put them on.

gets just as dusty in normal conditions and just makes it that bit harder to dust the car off after a race.

only run them when needed
Old 09-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greenlee37
I must be lazy too John... ""Mud guards were made for a lazy person""...

I guess Im anal too... ""weight issues dont matter unless your anal""...

Would this make me "lazily anal?" or "analy lazy?"
For you Rick it would be both JK.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Discussed this very thing with a local shop owner a while back.

He wasn't a big fan of them when dry, he too thought the little bit of excess drag would make the car jump funny. He tried some of the Lexan ones for a Losi. He said he couldn't tell the difference until I showed him a high speed pic of his buggy going down the straight. The Lexan mud guards were curved back towards the rear of the car. That gave some extra down force to the rear of the car and his lap times showed it, though it wasn't a big number. .5 seconds faster with them on at the most, still faster. After leaving them on for a while he said the car felt a little more planted in the high speed sections (the extra downforce should do that), but found that he was wearing the rear tires a little more than he liked and took them off.

Now the newer molded Mugen/DE style may not have the same added downforce advantage because they are thicker than Lexan ones. I use the DE ones on the RC8T all the time and do like them most of the time. If they don't help, it's not enough for me to notice. I have many other things to worry about while out on the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.