R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default rear diff problem

i have a problem with my rear diff when i turn the back wheels it feels like its slipping andnot turning the diff rod. any suggestions on how to fix this?
AKA City Block Tires
Spektrum DX3S
Shadowhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

im pretty sure thats normal...it should make the other wheel (opposite) the other way...
when you roll the both wheels at the same direction is should make the CVD move...
Nitro-X Fuel
fattyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If the diff is locked up, screaching and has oils theres no issue. If the oil gets really dirty its time for rebuild and if you run a car that needs a rebuild it drives very unsettling. It sounds normal but if it dont feel right pop the rear end all off and check the bearings, gears, diff and if oils are old then while you got it apart change them aswell.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
If the diff is locked up, screaching and has oils theres no issue. If the oil gets really dirty its time for rebuild and if you run a car that needs a rebuild it drives very unsettling. It sounds normal but if it dont feel right pop the rear end all off and check the bearings, gears, diff and if oils are old then while you got it apart change them aswell.
well it doesnt have any grease on the gears so that may be a problem also when i drive it it dounds like something hittine a flap like on the wheeel of fortune lol but nothing is hitting it it is something screwing up in the diff
AKA City Block Tires
Spektrum DX3S
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowhope View Post
well it doesnt have any grease on the gears so that may be a problem also when i drive it it dounds like something hittine a flap like on the wheeel of fortune lol but nothing is hitting it it is something screwing up in the diff
So, you opened up the diff and there was no oil in where the spider gears are or are you talking about the ring and pinion gear having no grease on it?

If the ring and pinion have no grease all you need is just a tad on them. The less the better.

Look at the outside of the ring gear for rounded out wear. Sometimes it's hard to see if you dont know what to look for. If it's worn down, chances are the pinion and ring gear were skipping teeth making that "flap like sound" you hear and describe. Sometimes you can get away with shimming the gears if there not that bad but if you race it dont take that chance, just replace them. Other times you hear a chattering sound that can come from the disc brakes. Some guys use springs on the shaft inbetween to push the "pads" away from the disc when you let go.

Hope that helps.
.....// (..)//
....//___// Support NRA!
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
So, you opened up the diff and there was no oil in where the spider gears are or are you talking about the ring and pinion gear having no grease on it?

If the ring and pinion have no grease all you need is just a tad on them. The less the better.

Look at the outside of the ring gear for rounded out wear. Sometimes it's hard to see if you dont know what to look for. If it's worn down, chances are the pinion and ring gear were skipping teeth making that "flap like sound" you hear and describe. Sometimes you can get away with shimming the gears if there not that bad but if you race it dont take that chance, just replace them. Other times you hear a chattering sound that can come from the disc brakes. Some guys use springs on the shaft inbetween to push the "pads" away from the disc when you let go.

Hope that helps.
i think im either going to bu a pinion gear and the larger gear that the pinion gear turns
AKA City Block Tires
Spektrum DX3S
Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
i think im either going to bu a pinion gear and the larger gear that the pinion gear turns
Thats your ring and pinion
.....// (..)//
....//___// Support NRA!
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
Thats your ring and pinion
ok im going to buy those 2 parts because i know that it is probly one of those 2 parts right??
AKA City Block Tires
Spektrum DX3S
Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
ok im going to buy those 2 parts because i know that it is probly one of those 2 parts right??
Before just buying stuff if ur budget is tight take it all aprat and check it out. No matter what eventually ur ganna have to so why not do it first to make sure before buying parts? Yeah for spares but theres another order you will need if its just a bad bearint etc. Just take it apart and look im sure the diff isnt hurt or messed up if its an rtr then it should be fine if it hasnt be taken aprt and lost shims and stuff.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

man how many runs have you had on the eight-2.0 ?
im just , suprised that happen already i been running my 1.0 eights and never had that problem even after 3 gallons .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
Before just buying stuff if ur budget is tight take it all aprat and check it out. No matter what eventually ur ganna have to so why not do it first to make sure before buying parts? Yeah for spares but theres another order you will need if its just a bad bearint etc. Just take it apart and look im sure the diff isnt hurt or messed up if its an rtr then it should be fine if it hasnt be taken aprt and lost shims and stuff.
well i took it apart and i done see nothin wrong except one bearing was fried in the alrger gear but i dont think htat would have broke anything so i am going to order some bearings for my engine and bearings for my dif and both of those gears
AKA City Block Tires
Spektrum DX3S