Wiki Posts
Search

ASSOCIATED RC8 DIFF HOUSING REPAIR

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default ASSOCIATED RC8 DIFF HOUSING REPAIR

I have replaced my diff housing many times because the pivot block screws have pulled out of the soft plastic. After careful thought I have come up with a repair that will prevent this from happening and putting you out in the middle of a race due to a part failure.
I decided to place a piece of 3/16" aluminum tube with a 3/32" hole down the inside 1 3/4" long that I tapped to accept 3mm screws on each end.
Then I drilled out the screw hole to a diameter of 3/16" from the inside of the diff housing halves just over half way towards the pivot block plates, leaving the locating bosses intact that the pivot blocks locate on.
Now you will have a place to insert the tubing into the diff housing. after doing so you can reassemble your diff housing with 3mm x 22mm screws and tighten down the pivot blocks without stripping out the plastic.
The pictures below will help you in doing this repair. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That is cool. I haven't had any problems with mine.
I have also seen where people would put a bolt through with a nut on the end.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had the same problem with one of mine. Someone at the track told me to just put a small ziptie inside and run the screw right down beside it. There was no way the screw could back out after that. It made the entire length of the case threaded. It was a pain to get out because it was such a tight fit, but if you have a decent electric screwdriver it's no big deal, and it works great.