R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Buggy ?? .. cleaning and maintaining

I have about a 1/2 gal through my buggy and im going to break it down for the first time and maintenance and clean.. Can you guys give me some tips as far as what to clean with what to grease/wd 40 .. cleaning the bearings? .. Im in Florida so lots of sand .. I also planed on changing the diff fluid since i have whatever is stock in the RTR (im not sure whats in it) to a 5-7-2 set up ... and tips for the noob?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pull all electronics and the engine. A good blast of water to get the grime off.I used to soak mine with simple green, but now I use Kalgard degreaser and it gets everything off. If its not crazy dirty the dishwasher does wonders. After I get it all cleaned off i us Prep and shine on everything. You can use the 30-30 to lube and get the water out. I have found that after using prep and shine it make cleaning after easier since dirt doesnt really stick any more.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default yep

I tear the car down, leaving the bulkheads and a arms on it without shocks, and remove axels and bearings and diffs, then soap it up with dishwashing soap in the sink with a toothbrush. Air compressor dry it, and give it a one over with wd40 on a toothbrush, don't soak it....tear the diffs down and use a toothbrush with dish soap on it with hot water to clean it, then wheel bearing grease on the gears and outdrives, 5-7-3 is a good baseline for the diffs.... If you only have 1/2 gallon on the bearings then wipe them off and leave them alone. If your taking the whole car apart put new bearings in it, avids are inexpensive...they sell the rubber sealed ones that would work great if you race in sand.... But check the old bearings first and if they are fine then there you go....
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're doing a full clean, tear it completely down to just parts. Anything plastic wash in water and soap and dry using a old towel (same with the chassis and anything carbon/aluminium). Driveshafts, diffs and shocks i clean with brake cleaner and then lube the driveshaft bits with gt85 or black grease. Bearings, if they're not gritty just give a quick wipe over with a cloth. Then put back together like you would a new kit (thread lock driveshafts, engine mounts and steering screws!). I try to never use a hose or a dishwasher. . . . i've always had problems with bearings seizing up no matter how much i try to dry them and re-lube them. It would be best to take it down to a bare chassis as you then understand how it goes together and how to change parts quicker if they break in the future.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 265 (100%+)

I take out the Engine and electronic box. I have a bottle with simple green, water and a little bit of Wd40 mixed. I spray the buggy with it and use a toothbrush to take out the dirt. Then wash off the dirt with water until all the dirt comes off and then spray the simple green mix i have, then use a hair blower to dry it off the buggy. Once i do that i check the ballbearing and oil them. I do that everytime after a day of race and never had a problem. quick and easy. Ill take you about 15 to 20 min taking the parts off and putting them back on.
guss2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I pretty much do the same thing.. Tear out elect's and motor hose it down ,spray on some simple green, give it a good brushing then hose it off then hit it with my trusty leaf blower , lube bearings, DONE !!
SLOW THE F%&# DOWN so you can go fast !!!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I pretty much do the same thing.. Tear out elect's and motor hose it down ,spray on some simple green, give it a good brushing then hose it off then hit it with my trusty leaf blower , lube bearings, DONE !!
THats what i do but I use my air compressor to blow it after its been washed.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Depending on how dirty it is depends on far I'll tear it down.

Most of the time I'll pull out the radio tray and motor and go from there. I'll pull the tank if I want a little better access to the chassis area under/around it. I was turned on to a little pressure wand from Home Depot that attaches to the trusty air compresser, has a 4 foot tube that goes in to a bottle of what ever you wish to use as a cleaner. I use a gal. container of Simple green and another gal. container of water. The wand costs about 13 bucks and you need the air hose fitting, about 2 bucks. The setup makes cleaning faster.

Once the tray motor and/or tank is out I'll do a quick blow down getting some of the big stuff off. Next it the wand with Simple Green. The Kal Gard Degreeser woke well too. I'll hit everything but being carefull not to over do it around/on the bearings. Next is a blow down, getting most of the Simple Green off. Then hit it with some WD-40 or Kal Gard 30-30, agin just about everywhere but on or around the brakes. Then it's the wand with water. Another blow down and a little wipe here and there. Prep and Shine and I'm done for the most part whith the chassis. I can either go on to lubing the bearings or work on the diffs/shocks if need be. Hate to work on a dirty car.

I'll give the radio tray a clean and wipe and it's ready to go in anlone with the tank if I have it out.

Usually takes about 10 minutes or so on the chassis and then I can clean up the motor, check the clutches, clutch bell, clutch bearings or what ever it needs.

Quick clean after a race day is just some pledge and the air compresser. usually gets the car/truck clean enough to work on or have ready for another day.

Bearings are usually checked and relubed with 30-30, WD-40, or Mobile 1 synth. 10W30. Had the same set on the diffs and hubs all season so far. In a more sandy area more maint. on the bearings or more bearing replacement may be needed.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use simple green to get the big crap off, then wd40 to make it look clean.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Everybody has there own ways, mine is degresser and water. I dont let any metals hit water because it can rust and looks and weaking the metal. My favorite stuff to use is greased lighning degresser or simple green and air compressor. Greased Lighning at pep boys etc any car store is like 3 to 5 bucks for a big bottle and has a spay tip. Works pretty darn good.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Tech Regular

clean the bearings with simple green too?? ...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
Tech Adept

You guys are saying 5-7-3 is that is 7 in the 5 front, 7 center, 2 rear? Why do you guys suggest this?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
Tech Elite

take engine and electronics off - use finishline cleaner (good for bearings) rinse with hose, blow off...

Take everything apart except throttle linkage... rebuild all diffs and shocks, re grease, detail with Kal Gurad..... Dialed!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Take the engine and electronics out and then use kalguard degreaser and blow it off with an air compressor. That works very good. Then coat it with kalguard prep and shine and you are done. Bearings replace as needed. I change the diff bearings when I change the fluid and usually do whenwheel bearings then too. About every gallon.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewrc View Post
You guys are saying 5-7-3 is that is 7 in the 5 front, 7 center, 2 rear? Why do you guys suggest this?

This is what i was told a good base setup for the Losi 2.0 ..