Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
BEST OFF ROAD CAR FOR STARTERS >

BEST OFF ROAD CAR FOR STARTERS

BEST OFF ROAD CAR FOR STARTERS

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default BEST OFF ROAD CAR FOR STARTERS

been into touring sedans. wanted somethign off road quick and reliable. was loking at the savage rtr. my local hovvy shop also said the JATO was a great car what do u think? prefer a RTR.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Honestly the funnest most popular thing would be a SC, you cant go wrong with a slash or blitz. if you have the cash id go brushless or 4X4. dollar for dollar there is no funner car out there. plus the jato or anything else has very limited racing classes if any. SC is huge and you can race pretty much anywhere
Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great advice man...

Originally Posted by blackbeardrollo
Honestly the funnest most popular thing would be a SC, you cant go wrong with a slash or blitz. if you have the cash id go brushless or 4X4. dollar for dollar there is no funner car out there. plus the jato or anything else has very limited racing classes if any. SC is huge and you can race pretty much anywhere
I don't own one, but I watch those trucks flip and jump every weekend. They really are pretty cool, and perfect for getting into racing or just rc cars in the yard. there are several on the market, but most run the Traxxas 4wd slash...Electric.....And put a lipo in there, but the 7 cell isn't bad for bashing around....All you really need is a good set of tires, a decent charger, and some thicker shock oil, and a few spare parts...

Maybe someone else who races them would chime in and tell ya what they need to be race ready....
Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Are you into electric or nitro? If you plan on racing you should check out what car is supported at your local track. That way you will get plenty of help getting started into offroad. If your bashing, than you cant go wrong with the Savage RTR from your local hobby shop.
I also just switched from touring cars to nitro offroad and love it. I picked up a Losi 8ight buggy and havnt looked back. The buggy is proven on the track for sure and is an absolute tank for beginners like me
Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

I prefer nitro. This is more for bashin not racing. I see the jato takes a beating and is tough. Is the savage the same?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

you can not compare a savage to a jato. Savage is a tank and the jato is a ferrari. savage is a basher, jato is just fast and brakes a lot easier. There is so much more that you do with a Savage that you can not due with a Jato. They both have there good and bad points, you just have to make the decision. Do your research.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default jato

Ive got a jato and its insanly fast and fun but if u want real fun get a kyosho DRX 9th sc rally car ive got one about a week ago and its awesome.
its nitro and u can put it on a track and i handels so sweat got lots of power with a 8 sc motor and it just looks great and its rtr just the radio sux
Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

if your bashing, stick with 4x4. the Jato is all out fast, but i think you'll find more fun in the Savage for beating around the yard or at a local track.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a Jato, Ruster, and Revo. The Revo is fun cuz its 4x4 and pretty big and tons of support. The Rustler is more durable than the Jato. and it is simpler. you can also make a really tough car with some Parts from RPM and some slash stuff. makes it wider and handle a bit better. The Jato is O.K. and that is it.. fast and all but your land on the back of your body your gonna snap the screws out of your trans case breaking it. and your rear diff case.. Really pissed me off the third time that happened. I am selling mine..If interested let me know ill send you some pics.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys I think my frend and I are going with savage rtr. What are the best upgrades u can get for it to up the speed out the box?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Play with it for a couple weeks before putting new parts on it. If you are thinking of upgrades right off the bat then you probably chose the wrong vehicle. Most decent rc's don't need a bunch of hop ups to be competitive and fun to drive. If you must have a monster truck then the savage is the way to go but if you are even thinking of putting it on a track then do yourself a favor and just buy a truggy. My truggy will go anywhere i used to drive my revo and is amazing on the track. I'm running a losi 8ight-t 2.0 race roller, and imo its the best truck i've ever owned, by far.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Understood. But we are both gknna have same car. Wanna make mine quicker! Lol maybe a 3 speed and exhaust to start
Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

ok we are goign with savage.. after we get the hang of it it will be a new pipe( which ima need help choosing) and the 3 speed tranny. gonan trick it out aluminum parts little by little.. i found it onlien for 384.99.. any where cheaper?