R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Joester's Questions and Comments thread

hey guys this is my first post, i just bought a nitro Traxxas Rustler with the "pro 15" engine. I used to be in the R/C scene before all this crazy EZ start and brushless motor shenanigans. I had an electric rustler an electric stampede and a duratrax, but this will be my first nitro. Its being shipped as we speak, so i just thought i would introduce myself. My name is Joe, im 18 and in college. I like cars (the big kind, i own a 2002 Golf TDI with quite a few mods) and i like ATV motocross (i ride a Yamaha YFZ450) I'm sure ill have a few questions along the way, so heres my reserved space.
Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well first thing get some RPM a-arms on order at least the fronts.. very fun car. I have the same thing with a 3.3 heavily modded car but they are fun. if you bash it plan on upgrading the linkages... ALL OF THEM but good luck. How old is it didnt think they had been putting the .15 pro in a ruster for a while are you sure its not the Sport?
MalicousIntent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalicousIntent View Post
well first thing get some RPM a-arms on order at least the fronts.. very fun car. I have the same thing with a 3.3 heavily modded car but they are fun. if you bash it plan on upgrading the linkages... ALL OF THEM but good luck. How old is it didnt think they had been putting the .15 pro in a ruster for a while are you sure its not the Sport?
not exactly sure, the ebay auction said the pro 15. it has had less than a gallon ran through it, so he claims, and has been broken in per traxxas recommendations. Its the style with the full metal frame not the old half plastic one if that helps.

i WOuLD post a link but i cant yet lol, but i understand. spam sucks.

oh, and it already has aluminum rear A-arms, i remember breaking the a arms alot when i owned my electric ones.

another question: is traxxas top fuel the best for traxxases? what do i get? 20%?

Last edited by Joester; 08-28-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Byron Gen 2 20 or 16 percent would work fine.. I dont like top fuel personally.
MalicousIntent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

i have yet to look through the tuning bible, but what temp should my engine run at? where do i take the temp with my infared gauge? down the glow plug hole?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

alright, i got my car yesterday and it started up just fine. i drove it around a bit, but it seemed off. it was real sluggish on the low end, but fine on the high end, so i went back in and set my low and high speed needle to traxxas' factory settings and today it was so rich it didnt even run and it was spittting unburnt nitro out the pipe. keep in mind it it about 90* and a good 80% humidity. So i leaned the low speed needle about 1 turn and it started up, but the high end seemed sluggish now, so i leaned that about 3/4 turn and everything is pretty good. it smokes out the pipe and runs at about 200* F... but is this still too rich? shouldnt it be running a bit hotter?

also, my idle is really really high, almpst to the point that it tries to move away of i let it go on flat ground. i tried adjusting the idle screw but it didnt seem to effect anything, i had to have turned it at least 5 turns each way with no audible decrease in the idle. so which way am i supposed to turn it?

thanks for the help!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
alright, i got my car yesterday and it started up just fine. i drove it around a bit, but it seemed off. it was real sluggish on the low end, but fine on the high end, so i went back in and set my low and high speed needle to traxxas' factory settings and today it was so rich it didnt even run and it was spittting unburnt nitro out the pipe. keep in mind it it about 90* and a good 80% humidity. So i leaned the low speed needle about 1 turn and it started up, but the high end seemed sluggish now, so i leaned that about 3/4 turn and everything is pretty good. it smokes out the pipe and runs at about 200* F... but is this still too rich? shouldnt it be running a bit hotter?

also, my idle is really really high, almpst to the point that it tries to move away of i let it go on flat ground. i tried adjusting the idle screw but it didnt seem to effect anything, i had to have turned it at least 5 turns each way with no audible decrease in the idle. so which way am i supposed to turn it?

thanks for the help!
Maybe I missed something,,,,,,,,, did you break in the engine before you start tuning and stuff?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Maybe I missed something,,,,,,,,, did you break in the engine before you start tuning and stuff?
yes, my rustler is used off of ebay, but the seller claims to have broken it in properly and done the WD40 rinse every time he drove it.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
..... also, my idle is really really high, almpst to the point that it tries to move away of i let it go on flat ground. i tried adjusting the idle screw but it didnt seem to effect anything, i had to have turned it at least 5 turns each way with no audible decrease in the idle. so which way am i supposed to turn it?

thanks for the help!
Set the throttle trim on your radio to zero. Remove the air filter boot so you can see in the carb. Then, remove your throttle linkage and push the carb slide closed. The idle screw will stop the carb slide at the point that the idle screw is set. Turning the idle screw counter clockwise reduces the air gap and thus reduces the idle.

Set the air gap (idle screw) to about .5mm - .7mm ... about half the thickness of a credit card. Adjust your throttle linkage so that it closes the carb at the neutral position.

And yes, 200 degress is to cool for that engine. Somewhere around 250 is where she needs to be.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Quote:
hey guys this is my first post, i just bought a nitro Traxxas Rustler with the "pro 15" engine. I used to be in the R/C scene before all this crazy EZ start and brushless motor shenanigans. I had an electric rustler an electric stampede and a duratrax, but this will be my first nitro. Its being shipped as we speak, so i just thought i would introduce myself. My name is Joe, im 18 and in college. I like cars (the big kind, i own a 2002 Golf TDI with quite a few mods) and i like ATV motocross (i ride a Yamaha YFZ450) I'm sure ill have a few questions along the way, so heres my reserved space.
wow someone who knows he has questions started a reserve space +1 right on
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t View Post
wow someone who knows he has questions started a reserve space +1 right on

haha, thanks, im no noobie to forums, im kinda a post wh*re, so get ready for me to be everywhere.

and i took off the filter and i got the idle screw to actually adjust. i leaned the high speed screw about 1/4 turn and im taking it to the local track later tonight to see how she runs. how do i adjust the low speed needle? ill go take a look at the sickys.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Quote:
haha, thanks, im no noobie to forums, im kinda a post wh*re, so get ready for me to be everywhere.

and i took off the filter and i got the idle screw to actually adjust. i leaned the high speed screw about 1/4 turn and im taking it to the local track later tonight to see how she runs. how do i adjust the low speed needle? ill go take a look at the sickys.
post it up and if u need help go on a raceday and ask people they are more than willing to help specialy the nitro guys thats if u cant get it sounds like u have some knowledge of nitro
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Here's the tuning guide for the Traxxas Pro .15:

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...n&suchbegriff=
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

update!

got to the track around 7pm, so i had about an hour to tune. at one point i measured it at 200*, so i fiddled around with it, and then it showed up as 300*... oops... anyways, after enough fiddling, it now runs at 230* on a 70* day, so i figue an run on a 90* day should bring it to about 270, which is good right? It idles very well. it spews blue smoke like it should, and its pretty responsive. i think i got it right where i want it, and i appreciate all the help.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

ugh, i went to the track today, and alot of it was spent tuning since it didnt really want to run today. sometimes i would come to a stop and it would slowly rev up and stay at a high idle, and other times, it wouldnt even run unless i blipped the throttle contantly. if i let go of the throttle it would bog and die in about 1-2 seconds, so i figured it was getting loaded up with fuel and stalling... no, it only got worse the leaner i made the low speed needle. it seemed to run the best with an extremely rich low speed, which made for a very boggy smoky and cool (like 200-220*) car. it was manageable, but not as much fun as i know it could be. any suggestions?