Wiki Posts
Search

clutch bearings without grease in them

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default clutch bearings without grease in them

I use avid clutch bearings. They are packed with grease pretty good. Even if i blow the crap out of them with an air compressor, they still make my clutch slip when they are new. I have about 20 of these bearings and would like to know if anyone has a secret for dealing with the grease. Once they get some time on them they are fine but then i have to worry about bearing failure. Would it be a good idea to blast them with brake cleaner and put a drop of oil in them? Or would brake cleaner shorten the life of the bearing and cause a dnf?

ALso does anyone know who makes them without grease?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
I use avid clutch bearings. They are packed with grease pretty good. Even if i blow the crap out of them with an air compressor, they still make my clutch slip when they are new. I have about 20 of these bearings and would like to know if anyone has a secret for dealing with the grease. Once they get some time on them they are fine but then i have to worry about bearing failure. Would it be a good idea to blast them with brake cleaner and put a drop of oil in them? Or would brake cleaner shorten the life of the bearing and cause a dnf?

ALso does anyone know who makes them without grease?
I blast mine out with motor cleaner. Then leave them in Royal Purple over night (or a few nights). After soaking in the oil I mount them to a dremel and use a rang to catch anything that spits out. Once that's done I put them on my ride.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

cool thanks. all i have now is after run oil, air filter oil, and wd40. SHould i get something else?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Go to walmart and get a few cans of non chlorinated brake cleaner. Its $2.50 a can. It won't hurt rubber or plastic. I go through 10 cans a month. I use it to clean out my shocks, my diffs, and spray out my bell and my flywheel
Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

a Proper bearing oil.

I use Road Lube from Boca and it works like a charm.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Acer Racing Sin Lube for me
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Marvel Mystery oil. They key is to not use too much of whatever you use so it doesn't contaminate the bell/shoes.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

^^^ MMO as well, been using it for a while.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I've posted this somewhere else on rctech but have no idea where.. here's my routine:

2x fresh bearings: remove rubber seal and spray the inside bearing out with motor spray or nitro cleaner completely and run dry, replace seal. Outside bearing: untouched, doesnt matter if it slings some grease, it wont get inside your bell.

I'll run those through practice and quals then rotate the outter bearing inside the bell and put a new outside on before the main. Next race run as they are through practice and quals and rotate again before the main.

Doing this I havent had a clutch bearing failure in years and my clutch is the same everytime I hit the track.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ha

I take a new set of bearings and simply put them in my clutchbell, and then install the clutchbell on my engine, install the engine, and then I start my buggy, and drive it for about 5-10 minutes in practice, and wow, it works perfectly for three race days or longer, never had any issues.

The oil flings out faster than the grease, so then you have a dry bearing hovering around 250 degrees with nothing in them. that's why most who remove the grease change them out every day or even before the main too. Not necessary, and wastefull...
Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

BEST clutch bearings around.......check the video..
http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=399
Old 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

RPM makes a handy little tool for this very purpose.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...earing-Blaster

Use some nitro spray or electric motor spray and give them a couple blasts each. Then follow that with a couple drops of a good bearing oil. I use some Racers Edge oil. Nothing fancy, just bearing oil but it works well.

As for TKO's I'll stick with my dollar bearings.

BTW I use metal shielded bearings. They last longer than any rubber sealed bearing I've tried in the clutch.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah no kidding i was looking for new bearings for my 8 buggy and checked on TKO cuz drake runs them. They sell a set for over $300, thats just insane. I'll stick with $1 acer bearings, they seem to work good enough for me. $24 for a complete set with free shipping and decals
Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Yeah no kidding i was looking for new bearings for my 8 buggy and checked on TKO cuz drake runs them. They sell a set for over $300, thats just insane. I'll stick with $1 acer bearings, they seem to work good enough for me. $24 for a complete set with free shipping and decals
slow down son ,those 300.00 bearings are for a full size car not R/c Tko sells bearings for .99 the best bearings i ever used when i ran a LOSI was tko (mr-695-rt) w/my Fioroni turbo-slider and those bearings i would never have clutch problems...
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

yikes.....and, tko's got decals AND t-shirts............and not 300.00 smackero's........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.