R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   regular vs turbo plug (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/429515-regular-vs-turbo-plug.html)

catlover3178 08-27-2010 08:47 PM

regular vs turbo plug

Can anyone tell me the difference? and which one would be better for everyday play/occasional race?

jmaxey51 08-27-2010 08:56 PM

standard plugs are better IMO but i do not run them because i only race and sometimes its a pain to change fast. but for you (with mainly bashing) a standard plug will be better and cheaper. but either one will be fine, in my experience standard plug engines are easier to tune.

tc5 man 08-27-2010 09:04 PM

i dont have, expreience with turbo plugs or tuneing with them plugs ive always used, standard plugs for racing and i know a lot of people at my track still use them too . i guess it is easyier to tune with a standard plug im not sure.

mike881 08-27-2010 09:07 PM

I'd like to know more about this topic too.

And can somebody explain why everybody says a pretty important addition to the Losi RTR's is a turbo head button?

jwm2 08-27-2010 09:08 PM

Theres no real difference in tuning. Turbo plugs cost about the same and sometimes cheaper than the non-turbo version. For an os plug you are going to spend 5.99-7.99 no matter which one you get. I run o'donnell turbo plugs which run about 4.99/ea. The tuning window might be slightly smaller, but if so i can't tell. I hear the turbo heads give the engine abit more hp, but thats just going by what others have said in the past.

jmaxey51 08-27-2010 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by mike881 (Post 7865395)
I'd like to know more about this topic too.

And can somebody explain why everybody says a pretty important addition to the Losi RTR's is a turbo head button?

for more bottom, ive ran them both ways, it give it just a hair more bottom and more run time.

you can get an OD SS 21 and it comes with both button heads and you can swap back and forth and see the difference. there isnt much difference at all.

Hobbs263 08-27-2010 09:54 PM

Turbo plugs run a little cooler, get a little more runtime, but are a little harder to tune.

Roelof 08-28-2010 12:53 AM

I think there are no differences. On paper they have only a different mounting with which the turbo has a better sealing and fits better in line with the combustion chamber. I think the differences people notice is more about different plugwires and mayby after a change the difference in the volume of the combustion chamber (compression)

With normal plugs you have much more choise of brands and types and with turbo you do not have the copper ring which you can always drop and loose.....

got_nitro 08-28-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hobbs263 (Post 7865549)
Turbo plugs run a little cooler, get a little more runtime, but are a little harder to tune.

What kind of turbo plugs do you use? I know all O.S plugs are HOT i.e the P3. The P4 is super hot.

O/P, heres a quick read of the differences.

http://www.osengines.com/accys/choosing-glowplugs.html

riverviewrc 08-28-2010 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 7865880)
I think there are no differences. On paper they have only a different mounting with which the turbo has a better sealing and fits better in line with the combustion chamber. I think the differences people notice is more about different plugwires and mayby after a change the difference in the volume of the combustion chamber (compression)

With normal plugs you have much more choise of brands and types and with turbo you do not have the copper ring which you can always drop and loose.....

+1 Turbo has a better seal they also last longer but with any motor / plug, only if tuned properly.

Nilks 08-28-2010 06:20 AM

Turbo: A little bit harder to tune (on some engines), longer runtimes and lower temperatures.

Before the Ninja, I ran a RB WS7 L2G, that came with turbo-plug. I "modded" it for standard plugs, and it was noticeable easier to tune. But it did get hotter and the runtime did suffer.

mudboger07 08-28-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 7866157)
What kind of turbo plugs do you use? I know all O.S plugs are HOT i.e the P3. The P4 is super hot.

O/P, heres a quick read of the differences.

http://www.osengines.com/accys/choosing-glowplugs.html

P3 is a hott plug the P4 is a cooler plug than the P3.

got_nitro 08-28-2010 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by mudboger07 (Post 7866312)
P3 is a hott plug the P4 is a cooler plug than the P3.

Yes, I understand.

The P3 is ultra hot.
P4 is super hot.
P5 very hot.

Maximo 08-28-2010 07:27 AM

turbo plugs are not harder to tune LOL ! turbo plugs have more tuning options, but are no harder to tune providing you are running the correct plug........

blackbeardrollo 08-28-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 7866357)
Yes, I understand.

The P3 is ultra hot.
P4 is super hot.
P5 very hot.

no you have it backwards