R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to Nitro; advice wanted

I am purchasing an HPI RS4 MT2 with the .18 G3.0 engine, and I was wondering what glow plug i should use for every day bashing and running around. it comes with a racing ((Cold R5)) plug, but ive been told to use a hot for break in, and medium for running around and just having fun. the problem is, I don't know which size plug my truck takes, as I am deployed in Afghanistan and I am having all this stuff sent home to Arizona. What glow plugs should I include with my package? I have pretty much everything else covered, with the exception of fuel, so any advice on what fuels to use would be appreciated. ((i am being stationed in northern NY, so what should i equip the truck with for cold weather?[10F to -45f]))

Any help/advice would be highly appreciated

SPC Campbell, Matthew
catlover3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The owners manual for your car should answer all of these questions. If you don't have the owners manual, then I'd consult HPI's website for support. I don't own an HPI product so my comments to your questions will be vague. On breaking in the engine, use the plug that comes with the engine. After the break in period, I'd ask your local hobby shop for their advice on plugs for an HPI. On fuels, again just patronize your local hobby shop and ask them for their advice. Most hobby shops carry a couple of different brands (I use Byrons 20%). A word on fuels: once you start using a certain fuel to break in an engine, I'd stick with that brand because that will make tuning easier. Thank you for your service in Afganistan. My employer is Uncle Sam as well.

Be safe
Brian
MiniMeRCRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover3178 View Post
I am purchasing an HPI RS4 MT2 with the .18 G3.0 engine, and I was wondering what glow plug i should use for every day bashing and running around. it comes with a racing ((Cold R5)) plug, but ive been told to use a hot for break in, and medium for running around and just having fun. the problem is, I don't know which size plug my truck takes, as I am deployed in Afghanistan and I am having all this stuff sent home to Arizona. What glow plugs should I include with my package? I have pretty much everything else covered, with the exception of fuel, so any advice on what fuels to use would be appreciated. ((i am being stationed in northern NY, so what should i equip the truck with for cold weather?[10F to -45f]))

Any help/advice would be highly appreciated

SPC Campbell, Matthew

+1 to read the manual.

Top add, depending on the nitro% you are going to be running is how you determine what plug to use. Low % (20 and under) you want a hot-med plug. The higher you in nitro% go you want to use a colder plug. Im not sure on what length plug to use though.

Remember, cool weather requires a richer tune, hot/warmer weather needs a leaner tune.
.....// (..)//
....//___// Support NRA!
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For the HPI 18 engines use a OS #7 or possibly #6.

The stock plugs are a tiny bit longer than O.S but are shorter than the true long reach plugs like McCoy.
secretsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Default Hpi mt2 nitro problem

Hi, i just recently got a mt2 nitro roto start and every time i try to give it full throttle it dies. wen i put it on a block stand and rev it up to full throttle there's no problem but as soon as i put it on the ground and try give gas it dies. please help, thanx
FRANCOIS5342469 is offline   Reply With Quote