R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default When is an engine dead?

I have an old trx .15 that looks new, and has good compression when the head is on, but when I remove the head, the piston slides up and down the sleeve without any resistance, even at the top of the stroke. Is the P/S finished or is this normal?
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (86%+)

it could be because u took away the compression by taking off the head there is no where for the air compress
Ryan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It is perfectly normal for a broken in motor to NOT have any metal pinch and still have plenty of compression. So yes a normal broken in motor with the head off should be easy and smooth when you turn the flywheel.

People get pinch and compression mixed up way too much on here.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Try taking putting the head back on and doing the "flop" test. Hold the engine by the flywheel with the head at a 90 degree angle. If it takes more than about 5-6 seconds to roll past compression, you might need a new piston and sleeve. The best test is just to see how it runs. If it won't stay running when its hot but the tune is good, than it's probably done.

I've had motors that felt like they were worn out, but would still run all day.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

bacchus is right.. I understand no compression because the head is off, but I was wondering if it's normal for the sleeve to have no pinch. With my other engines, the piston had resistance when it reaches the top of the sleeve (at least enough for it to push the sleeve out of the crankcase) but this one has none at all. It was also difficult to tune, but maybe that's just cause it's a pro .15 So as long as there is compression (not necessarily pinch) then the engine is still good?
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Pinch is bad (ok not BAD, but not ideal), compression is good. Just think of it that way ;-)

If there is mechanical pinch left in the sleeve, then every time the piston is on the upstroke it wastes energy trying to get through that mechanical pinch and it wears away a little material. This takes away from power output and generates heat.

When the mechanical pinch is gone...the piston and sleeve are sized perfect together, creating GOBS of compression, and no pinch holding it back. So every upstroke that piston makes has little resistance (compared to that mechanical pinch) and it can rev faster in a shorter amount of time.

As time goes on, if you are not pre-heating your engine...the piston and sleeve wear more when they are cold and warming up...and eventually they wear away enough material so that the air is no longer compressing when the engine is warm, but just simply moving around the piston. This is when you flameout and can't tune....and generally the frustrating part of these little engines.

If that makes sense anyway....

Oh and someone correct me if I'm wrong here....my experience with Nitro is limited, but I raced 2 stroke engines for 14+ years attached to 2 wheels ;-)
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniracer23 View Post
Try taking putting the head back on and doing the "flop" test. Hold the engine by the flywheel with the head at a 90 degree angle. If it takes more than about 5-6 seconds to roll past compression, you might need a new piston and sleeve. The best test is just to see how it runs. If it won't stay running when its hot but the tune is good, than it's probably done.

I've had motors that felt like they were worn out, but would still run all day.
I hate the flop test, I think its a bad test, a lot of engines won't pass once the pinch is gone from my experience

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
Pinch is bad (ok not BAD, but not ideal), compression is good. Just think of it that way ;-)

If there is mechanical pinch left in the sleeve, then every time the piston is on the upstroke it wastes energy trying to get through that mechanical pinch and it wears away a little material. This takes away from power output and generates heat.

When the mechanical pinch is gone...the piston and sleeve are sized perfect together, creating GOBS of compression, and no pinch holding it back. So every upstroke that piston makes has little resistance (compared to that mechanical pinch) and it can rev faster in a shorter amount of time.

As time goes on, if you are not pre-heating your engine...the piston and sleeve wear more when they are cold and warming up...and eventually they wear away enough material so that the air is no longer compressing when the engine is warm, but just simply moving around the piston. This is when you flameout and can't tune....and generally the frustrating part of these little engines.

If that makes sense anyway....

Oh and someone correct me if I'm wrong here....my experience with Nitro is limited, but I raced 2 stroke engines for 14+ years attached to 2 wheels ;-)
Well said. I just didn't feel like typing it.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
I hate the flop test, I think its a bad test, a lot of engines won't pass once the pinch is gone from my experience
Thats true, thats why I added that the best test is engine preformance....
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

The pinch in cold condition says nothing, due different expansion rates of the piston and sleeve you can never tell how the fit will be at operating temperature.