R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
How does an engine "modder" get better mileage? The only way I know how is by reducing the crankcase pressure by removing material, but then you sacrifice power...
Really? I'm not a pro at engines but I thought the best way was to make an engine more efficient, so by removing material making things smoother would allow the engine to use less air and fuel to make the same power.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #62
Tech Elite

I can get 10+ minutes out of my vspec, it would come off the track at 307 degrees, but I can do it.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #63
Tech Addict

I was wondering: I am currently running a 3-shoe clutch with aluminum clutch shoes and 1.0 springs. I know how to drive it, so it doesn't spin the wheels as much, but will it be better to switch one of the springs out with a 0.9? Will that give me better mileage?
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I'm sure someone in here has mentioned Alpha Plus engines will go 10 pretty easy in buggy and definitely over 12 in truggy.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #65
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
I was wondering: I am currently running a 3-shoe clutch with aluminum clutch shoes and 1.0 springs. I know how to drive it, so it doesn't spin the wheels as much, but will it be better to switch one of the springs out with a 0.9? Will that give me better mileage?
i tryed running softer springs in the past and it seemed to take away lower end power, which made me pull more trigger to clear stuff which caused me to get less fuel economy
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alberico View Post
Really? I'm not a pro at engines but I thought the best way was to make an engine more efficient, so by removing material making things smoother would allow the engine to use less air and fuel to make the same power.
"Negative Ghost Rider" by removing material from inside the crank case and sleeve you effectively increase the volume which in turn makes them even more inefficient.

THE best crank case volume micro engine I have "seen" has been the old GRP. Brilliant case design, schnurl design and very compact inside.

And I don't remember anyone "modding them for mileage"

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #67
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
"Negative Ghost Rider" by removing material from inside the crank case and sleeve you effectively increase the volume which in turn makes them even more inefficient.

THE best crank case volume micro engine I have "seen" has been the old GRP. Brilliant case design, schnurl design and very compact inside.

"The pattern is full"
Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

Quote:

Hmm, well good thing I run the TQ 501 engine. LOL, anyway, so by what you are saying is by increasing the volume which means you can get more air and fuel inside the engine, which equals more HP, so what about the making the crank lighter, and balanced and the conecting rod, as well as smoothing flow areas? this does not allow the engine to make the same amount of power with less fuel/air but limiting epa or a smaller insert? or by going down the straight, full throttle at fitrst and back off to half I figured the engine could better sustain the same rpm?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #69
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Many of my modified engines get better runtimes then their stock counterparts, as well as substantially more HP and TQ.......And none of my mods have anything to do with flow mods, my sleeves and cranks look 100% bone stock to the untrained eye !
Old 08-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpop View Post
How does an engine "modder" get better mileage? The only way I know how is by reducing the crankcase pressure by removing material, but then you sacrifice power...
Are you seeing better mileage with the newer Crf cranks in the Orion's your running? Same principle as that, more velocity.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
Are you seeing better mileage with the newer Crf cranks in the Orion's your running? Same principle as that, more velocity.

Rex
I would have to say yes. The new crank is a bit more efficient, and the crank shaft is not hogged out, so it increases crankcase pressure. The 7 port is getting mileage like the 3 port used to, and the 3 port with the new carb and crank is incredible. Around 12 minutes under the right conditions.

I give Adrien a lot of credit, he is brilliant, and a hard worker!

Last edited by pitpop; 08-26-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: thought of something new :)
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Most people think of a modded engine all dremel work grinding it all up. I am not a big fan of that and making it hard to tune.
I assume Cody is seeing a littel crisper throttle response in the midrange also with that crank? You guys are coming to X-Fest next week aren't you?

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #73
Tech Regular

racecrafter dont you guys have to put o.s. carbs on the alphas to get them to run consistantly ALPHA PLUS = UNRELIABLE, FLAME OUTS

YOU WANT RELIABILITY RUN THE REAL ALPHA/TEAM ORION
Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm sure someone in here has mentioned Alpha Plus engines will go 10 pretty easy in buggy and definitely over 12 in truggy.
+1 ... ive seen people pit at 11 min in buggy with Alpha... i cant do it with mine but ive seen it done

i get 10+ min a tank in truggy, ive pushed it to 10 min a couple times in a main when im trying to catch up and ive been fine so far
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #75
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Default update!

i was at the track for practice today and i gained over a minute going from 7 to 8 1/2 minutes untill it died out. i went with a softer clutch setup, turned up the expo on the trottle and changed to a 6.5 restrictor. the track was wet/loomy. im thinking with the right tires and as the track grooves up it should get better runtime. my motor was running right at 210. i tried different temp guns as well. couldnt beleive my eyes. i feel like im headed in the right direction now. gotta get ready for the quals tomorrow. thanks guys.
JASON671 is offline   Reply With Quote