Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HOW DO YOU GET 10 MIN+ RUNTIME???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

From my expieriences and the feedback from much more expierienced racers there is only a handfull of engines that are capable of 10 minute run times in a buggy. Most of the other engines it will not matter what you do you will not get 10+ out of them unless you push them around the track
Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer
You have all missed the most obvious and the biggest factor. THE TRACK.

A really smooth, super fast, high bite track and no one fast is going to be going 10 min. Oh it can be done, but this track can take all the HP you can give it. Better results will be had by going balls to the wall and running much faster laps that will more than make up for the time of the stop.

Slick, tight, bumpy as hell blown out track and even the most fuel guzzling motor should be able to go 10 with smooth driving.
+1
Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

As it has been said there are a ton of factors, another big one is the track and the layout, in Kc we had a track layout where you didn't need a lot of throttle and a lot of guys could go 10 min, then once we changed the layout and got a straight a way and some jumps that take some punch then those same guys could not make 10 min.

For someone just learning the hobby, get your equipment setup how you like it turning the best laps and not making mistakes, then time your tank and run your own race. It's not worth worrying about going 10 minutes and leaning your engine making your car hard to drive, too lean and hot amking it flame out, normally in club racing it comes down to the better driver.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
sorry bud, but Im my experience it all makes a difference, all the factors play a huge roll in run time.

+1. In my biased opinion, it seems that good runtime starts with having good corner speed. If your buggy/truggy can rotate easily, you don't need to blip/hammer the throttle as much to accelerate out of turns. That's a huge plus for fuel economy, not to mention your laptimes.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

I know how to get 10 mins per tank - drive slow and stay on your lid...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deadmancourt
try running a 7mm restrictor in truggy and
6mm or 6.5mm in buggy....DONT JUST LEAN YOUR ENGINE OUT!...but you MAY be a TAD rich somewhere! but if YOU dont think so,then try the restrictors
Actually DO NOT do that! OS engines like to breathe. 8mm in buggy 9mm in truggy.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Alberico
As it has been said there are a ton of factors, another big one is the track and the layout, in Kc we had a track layout where you didn't need a lot of throttle and a lot of guys could go 10 min, then once we changed the layout and got a straight a way and some jumps that take some punch then those same guys could not make 10 min.

For someone just learning the hobby, get your equipment setup how you like it turning the best laps and not making mistakes, then time your tank and run your own race. It's not worth worrying about going 10 minutes and leaning your engine making your car hard to drive, too lean and hot amking it flame out, normally in club racing it comes down to the better driver.
good post David....

I'll add a couple things from my own experience, going 10 mins doesnt play much of a role unless pit lane is a 10+ second delay (same amount of time as a single wreck requiring a slow marshal) or the main is 60 mins long. Concentrating on running the entire main without a single wreck will make you faster than 15mins of runtime

In 30-45min mains its little or no advantage to go 10 mins and risk a flameout. Runtime changes the longer you run the engine.... 10 mins at the begining of the main more often than not, wont equal 10 mins after the car has been ran for 45 mins straight in the dirt. Its always less, especially if you have to run the engine temps higher to make it.

At small tracks it very easy to get 10+mins of runtime, but small tracks are generally only a club race, so using that information at a big track at a big race is usually a bad choice. measuring runtime is more a measure of the circumstances and the knowledge of the person involved. If Drake makes 10mins, you have to consider what he has at his disposal to make that happen.

Moral: practice racing for 30mins straight without a single wreck with a good pace. I guarrantee that will win more races than any engine run time, miracle tire or miracle car
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjm1126
i was able to get 10 min run times with ninja jx in buggy also with the ebmod head button, 8mm restrictor and 2060 pipe, when i used to run that engine
When I was racing off road buggy a lot, I was also running the Ninja JX and one factor is the track you run on as well. If you run on a big track where you are wide open a lot you will get much reduced run time. Even still I had no issues getting 11 minutes of run time with a 7mm carb insert, 2060 Pipe and keeping smooth. This was without any excess line as my buggy was set up to roar specs for the Nationals last year.

Keep in mind that a smaller carb restrictor can at times increase fuel milage, but can also hurt it drastically. If you reduce the power on your engine with the carb restrictor to the point that you on wide open much more often then you will actually eat up way more gas than keeping your finger out of the throttle and using a bigger restrictor.

Just my -98 cents worth...
Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Moral: practice racing for 30mins straight without a single wreck with a good pace. I guarrantee that will win more races than any engine run time, miracle tire or miracle car
+1

Run time does affect the pro racers and arguably some club racers, after watching the nats this year in CO springs I realized how critical that stuff is to them. But for the casual racer like myself and many others, we wont consistently lose just because of run time. Occasionally somebody might win because they made one less pit stop, but other than that a lot of us spend too much time on our lids just like Token said
Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

I'll tell ya'...couple of weeks ago a guy was trying out my RC8T....he's looking for a truggy. He's a good buggy wheel, fer sher...

I had my ol' reliable S7 in it....passes everything but a fuel stop. I get 6 1/2 outta' it...no more, no less...ever.

Dude was flying! On fire I tell ya'....I was pretty proud of my set up as you can imagine...I can't make it run like that.

Donned on me....this guy's been out there for 9 or 10 minutes, I yell at him to come in...there's fuel in the tank!!!

Obviously, I suck....
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Lap after lap I'm listening for it to lean out...he's many laps too deep on a tank by my calculations...but it never happens.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trigger finger! Trigger finger! Trigger finger! TRIGGER FINGER!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

i got 8 mins of runtime on my GO GX-5R w/GO 0801 pipe once. almost fell over backwards
Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have found a difference of two minutes between tanks of fuel in my buggy. I ran them back to back. The only difference was my driving style. One way was power sliding and muscling the car, the other was driving clean lines and being smooth and careful with the trigger. There is no doubt I drove faster by being smooth, I crashed less. Get a base line tune and learn how to drive carefully yet quickly.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pardon me for skipping past all the other posts but the answer here is simple. You must tune your engine properly and have throttle control.

I have a Ninja B01A with 2060 pipe running a 8mm insert and P3 plug that can run 10 minutes in a buggy no problem when properly tuned. This engine now has around 6 gallons on it now and the runtime is as good as it ever was.

One trick I can think of is I did notice an increase in runtime when I swapped out the bearing for a ceramic but 10 minutes was already possible before making the switch (around 4 gallons).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.