R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Which kit, from a builders point of view....

At the risk of starting a "My kit is better than your kit" argument, I will ask this question with baited breath....

My brother in law has expressed an interest in building a buggy kit, and after spending an evening with me at the track tonight, has asked me which one he should buy.
Basically, he has no knowledge of how they work, how they are built or anything....he just wants the challenge of actually building one from scratch, and thus learning about the mechanics of the kit, and then having a go at running it. He's probably more interested (at this point at least) in the engineering side of things than the racing.

Obviously as a Losi owner Id like to say "Buy a Losi EU" but in fairness, Losi is the only pro class buggy Ive owned, there may well be better out there as far as kits go **shudder**

Id prefer honest opinions from people who have owned/built kits from a few different manufacturers as opposed to someone just saying "Buy Associated/Mugen/Xray" etc, just 'cos thats what they own.

Im swinging toward the Xray, just because it seems so well built and strikes me as a good kit to build.

Might I be better pushing him in the direction of a Truggy as he's never driven an RC before? (Not having a go, but I believe they are a tad easier to drive and perhaps more forgiving than a buggy)

Honest opinions with minimal flameage would be hugely appreciated.
Beddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beddo View Post
At the risk of starting a "My kit is better than your kit" argument, I will ask this question with baited breath....

My brother in law has expressed an interest in building a buggy kit, and after spending an evening with me at the track tonight, has asked me which one he should buy.
Basically, he has no knowledge of how they work, how they are built or anything....he just wants the challenge of actually building one from scratch, and thus learning about the mechanics of the kit, and then having a go at running it. He's probably more interested (at this point at least) in the engineering side of things than the racing.

Obviously as a Losi owner Id like to say "Buy a Losi EU" but in fairness, Losi is the only pro class buggy Ive owned, there may well be better out there as far as kits go **shudder**

Id prefer honest opinions from people who have owned/built kits from a few different manufacturers as opposed to someone just saying "Buy Associated/Mugen/Xray" etc, just 'cos thats what they own.

Im swinging toward the Xray, just because it seems so well built and strikes me as a good kit to build.

Might I be better pushing him in the direction of a Truggy as he's never driven an RC before? (Not having a go, but I believe they are a tad easier to drive and perhaps more forgiving than a buggy)

Honest opinions with minimal flameage would be hugely appreciated.
I am running a Mugen right now, and it's great, but my 808 is by far the best build I've encountered....

there are so many great cars right now...

"The car" looks pretty awesome..
The mugen kit...
Kyosho kit...
Serpent...
Losi
the associated...
I've built a lot of cars for friends and myself, and he will freak out with most every car out right now. It's the golden age of buggy.....Pick one, build it, get it dirty....

I would be torn between the car, and the 808 right now....
Old 08-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

All I know is that Mugen's tend to be very easy to build and go together right. I'm sure others do as well but never built any other buggies from scratch.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

xray is just superior quality. second to none on every part. and i have tried them all
skoalisbad4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

first off i have nothing against xray, but why do people always claim xray is the best quality, the best build etc. yes they do make nice cars no doubt, but no better than anyone else imo
Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
first off i have nothing against xray, but why do people always claim xray is the best quality, the best build etc. yes they do make nice cars no doubt, but no better than anyone else imo
You just have to build one to know....

It's like saying "why is Novarossi so great?"

Or why is Adam Drake so fast...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with most kits. I like my losi cars but you can't go wrong with x ray they have Hudy parts that's as good as it gets. I have heard the new K car goes together very nicely.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have built my share, never an X-ray, 2 but Ho-bao, 5 mugen, 2 serpent, 3 Kyosho, 2 AE, 1 Caster and Kyosho has been the best build always, not one part needed riming or shimming,Serpent and Mugen a close second, AE and Ho-bao a solid third and Caster...well lets not go there.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I have built Ofna, Jammin, and Hot Bodies. I must say that the Hot Bodies was the easiest kit to put together with excellent instructions. However, the Jammin plastics seem to be a little better quality. As stated above, it would be hard not to pick a good quality kit from any of the "top" manufactures. It is Buggy and Truggy heaven out there now

You did ask if a Truggy might be a better choice for a "starter" vehicle. In my opinion, a Truggy is the best of the 1/8th scale vehicles.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Losi- not a kit, very durable, wears quickly, great support

Mugen-fast, likes to be pushed, wear is good, plastics are fragile

AE- fast on smooth surfaces, not experienced with the new version

Hot Bodies- Cheap,get what you pay for. seems fast(never driven one)

Those are my choices. ive only driven mugen and ae for a couple laps

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

XRay-Great detailed instructions, great detailed how-to setup book, High quality, expensive.

Hot Bodies-$300ish, easy build, great quality, slow wear and strong plastics, the bearings are on the small side though
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I love my hb its a very easy build and nun the less the price is unbeatable. The diretions are super detailed and the car comes dialed with a stock set up and its very competitave to all others. Also Xray quality is just pure quality, if you own one you wouldnt be dissapointed they are nice and very tuff. Its quality alot of other companys cant beat!

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have built Hobao, agama, and XRAY and from a build point the XRAY was hands down the best build and the best quality. That being said neither one of those things wins races. My Agama is by far the best car on the track
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Haven't ran one, but have seen 'em, what about the new O'Donnell SG car I think they've given Xray a run for their money.. and if I remember rite they're still made in America
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

after worlds it should get interesting.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote