R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Recently built my O'Donnell SG; by far the easiest kit I've built. I didn't want the build to end because it was so enjoyable. No filing, sanding and reaming. Even the body was pre-trimmed.

The plastic, carbon fiber, lexan, aluminum and even the screws are top notch.

Wear isn't a problem, no hop-ups are needed, service is beyond excellent.

I'm biased, of course, but give it a look and visit the "O'Donnell Buggy!" thread here on RCTech. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Jon Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
after worlds it should get interesting.
+1

i built the hotbodies d8, only building onroad chassis before. went together smooth. cant coment on other 8th scale kits though. although have built xray touring cars and those almost fell together out of the package im sure the 808 is the same way.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
Haven't ran one, but have seen 'em, what about the new O'Donnell SG car I think they've given Xray a run for their money.. and if I remember rite they're still made in America
IIRC, OD's cars are made in china...

If you're in control, you're not driving it fast enough!

XRAY / NOVAROSSI / SANWA / AKA TIRES / BYRON FUEL
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
Haven't ran one, but have seen 'em, what about the new O'Donnell SG car I think they've given Xray a run for their money.. and if I remember rite they're still made in America
Made in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I have built Hobao, agama, and XRAY and from a build point the XRAY was hands down the best build and the best quality. That being said neither one of those things wins races. My Agama is by far the best car on the track
Well put.... and agreed
I've built about all of them including a caster years ago lmao....
Xray has always been referred to as the top fitting, wearing buggy out there. That being said there has been a few guys recently switch to the Agama and compare it equally.

From a build point of view they are all 95% the same...... so on just the build question, pick one out of a hat.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

try the tamiya they were always great builds
i drive losi btw
tropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated.
Another thing I forgot to mention was the quality of the support/backup/spares etc and also the instructions. You and I might know all about shimming diffs and building shocks (dont we?) but it needs to be fairly well documented in any instructions provided. Ive always thought Tamiya instructions were excellent, where-as Hobao ones are comeplete shite (imho)....
Im probably going to count Kyosho and O'Donnell out as their support in the UK isnt that great.

I must admit, I am swaying toward the Xray and whilst Id love to say "get THE car" (just because Im so impressed at the way JQ has gone about his business) I also feel that for a complete n00b who has never driven, let alone built an RC, that there wont be that support base that he will require.

It just seems that the Xray set-up, from the manuals, to the website to the support etc, is of a higher quality, but still small enough to care (if you know what I mean).
Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beddo View Post
Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated.
Another thing I forgot to mention was the quality of the support/backup/spares etc and also the instructions. You and I might know all about shimming diffs and building shocks (dont we?) but it needs to be fairly well documented in any instructions provided. Ive always thought Tamiya instructions were excellent, where-as Hobao ones are comeplete shite (imho)....
Im probably going to count Kyosho and O'Donnell out as their support in the UK isnt that great.

I must admit, I am swaying toward the Xray and whilst Id love to say "get THE car" (just because Im so impressed at the way JQ has gone about his business) I also feel that for a complete n00b who has never driven, let alone built an RC, that there wont be that support base that he will require.

It just seems that the Xray set-up, from the manuals, to the website to the support etc, is of a higher quality, but still small enough to care (if you know what I mean).
If thats what is most important to you, then by all means go with the XRAY. The manual has colored step by step instructions, and my kit needed no diff shims. They just drop in. All the bags are clearly labeled and there are a ton of people here on RC tech as well as on Xray's forums who will help with any problems you may encounter