Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Retired motocrossers who race off road rc? >

Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
Ya 35 years old. We raced Friday night Motocross on a Motocross track built in the infield from like 84 until 90 when it closed, we would get over 300 bikes and over 1/4 of them were 80's. It was just like RC in Cali, you had to be fast to win. I remember hitting that TT jump in front of the grandstands at full wood on my KX 80, what a cool jump. PS Ascot also had a killer RC Car track next to the BMX track the last few years it was there.
I'm sure we crossed paths somewhere at Ascot.

I raced Ascot on Fridays, though I raced 3 wheelers and later quads (82-88). Most of my Friday nights were spent with Cagiva as we built a ground up prototype for them in '84. Later in '85 I won the "Quad World Speedway Championship" on the Speedway track. In the years to follow I raced R/C there at RCRC most of which was on the oval.

Here are a few of my "back in the day" photos.
Attached Thumbnails Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?-cagiva-corona-1984.jpg   Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?-cagiva-corona-first-time-out.jpg   Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?-quad-anaheim-1985.jpg   Retired motocrossers who race off road rc?-quad-riverside-1985.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

At 21 you're realizing that your body is worth preserving. You are ahead of many for realizing that at such a young age, kudos to you sir.

Cliff Lett has to the OG of MXer's turned RC. He raced for Factory Yamaha in the 70's, saw Ricky Johnson coming up and realized there was nothing he'd be able to do to beat guys like him and became his mechanic/team manager. He's a multi time former National Champ in 1/10th offroad and is now head of R&D at Team Associated.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Cliff Lett of Team Associated (I think he is the V.P. of AE now) actually used to be the head mechanic for Ricky Johnson (Mid 80's Supercross/Motorcross Champ and current driver in teh CORR Truck Series)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I'm sure we crossed paths somewhere at Ascot.

I raced Ascot on Fridays, though I raced 3 wheelers and later quads (82-88). Most of my Friday nights were spent with Cagiva as we built a ground up prototype for them in '84. Later in '85 I won the "Quad World Speedway Championship" on the Speedway track. In the years to follow I raced R/C there at RCRC most of which was on the oval.

Here are a few of my "back in the day" photos.
I used to run my Kyosho Raider at Ascot back in 88 when I was 11 years old. I grew up in Gardena, CA not very far from the track. It is where I got my feet wet with rc and bmx back in the day. I loved that place and we could hear the races on Friday nights at the dinner table.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default MX 2 RC!

I grew up racing mx and sx. Off-road RC is so similar only I do not have to break me (what got me out of mx). My younger brother (also a previous pro mx sx rider) turned me on to Rc cars in December 2010 I have been on it since that day. RC Racing works out well for both of us. I am a family man now and too old for the mx sx Semi dream and my brother suffered a horrendous crash in 2001 breaking his femur in 3 places, exploding both hips and breaking his pelvis. So needless to say he can no longer ride. Off-road RC car racing has been a great fit for us. It gives us the competition that we have missed so much. Tracks are similar on a smaller scale of course. The smell and sound of Nitro methane is a big plus too. It is great to be back in competition and racing again.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by easyryder
I raced bikes for 6 months, broke my left leg really bad, 2 weeks in hospital, that was enough for me, 6 years in RC now.
Still racing rc
Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Same here, I still ride but my no more moto racing. I am doing alot of RC racin lately. Been loving every minute of it.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I raced mx on 4 -wheels for 11 years and did a little xc during that time as well. After my last broken bone at 27 I finally decided it was time to hang it up.Racin r/c cars is so much easier on my body!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rotarynut
For those of us who go back a little ways, will miss greatly one hell of a MX rider...
http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...2010-6920.aspx
Wow, I didnt know Magoo passed away- My regards to his Family and friends. I was able to watch him ride at Millville I believe it was 1983-I was 13 and was a fan ever since-exciting guy on the track.. Racing Motocross taught me a lot of life lessons, that I still use to this day- although I do have a hitch or two in my giddy-up..lol As far as RC and Motocross there is definitely a relation, especially in offroad, and it feeds the that inner Hunger better than anything else I have ever tried.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Haven't read the whole thread, sorry if it's been mentioned, but we race frequently in the Carolina's with Larry Ward, couldn't meet a nicer guy, a great addition to the R/C community.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have been racing motocross my hole life and my last injury finally put me on the sidelines.I just wish i would have figured out before i was 32 that all the injury's were not worth it.I now walk with a limp and physically cannot run.Just have to say i wish i would have found rc allot sooner in my life,it would have saved me allot of pain.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Brandon,

You get to race with Ward. Nice guy for sure.

More and more I see guys showing up at the local tracks with backrounds in MX. Most say RC is a lot like MX. Not just the tracks, many feel at home in the pits with the people they meet and hang out with. If the race runs a bit long, most of the MX guys say it's still sometimes a shorter day than being out at the MX track trying to race. With that thought they don't tend to complain too much. Something many people could learn from.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've been racing MX since '73 and still going. Returned recently to RC from a 15yr layoff, and will say it's been fun as an alternative.

Getting on in age now, and the ol' body is really feelin' all the years of punishment. Not looking forward to how I'll feel when I am in my later years considering the aches I have now...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
Haven't read the whole thread, sorry if it's been mentioned, but we race frequently in the Carolina's with Larry Ward, couldn't meet a nicer guy, a great addition to the R/C community.
Brandon...you know I have seen Larry at the track a few times now and I'm always so darn busy I have yet to get to actually meet him and say hi! I used to love watching that guy ride an MX bike....
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smittyusmc
Larry Ward does race he lives in SC I see him from time to time he race a lot with Travis Dupree sorry if it is miss spelled.
Wow... Now that's a name from my child hood, Larry "Big Bird" Ward...

I grew up racing motocross from about 9 to 20 years of age. I got to race with some of the big guys from my time, the GOAT RC, Tim Ferry, Jeff Emig, Tony Haines (most dont know this kid b/c he got paralzied one day practicing, but man this kid and Carmichael were sick fast... Ricky took him to all his races with him when he went pro b/c they were such good friends.) and a few others that went pro. Me... Never got that good, I held back to much and wasn't willing to push it enough to go that fast.

I am 35 now and just got into RC late last year and LOVE it... It's like motocross all over again but I don't have to worry about the injuries. As you have stated injuries are just a fact of motocross. I broke ankles, fingers, etc. The worst though was a day in the hospital not being able to feel my legs. That was an eye opener that scared the crap out of me... I also think that was why I never pushed it after that night... Kinda hard to forget that feeling and just go full throttle again.

Anyhow, I love me some RC... Now bring on that triple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.