R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Raced karts when I was younger. RC is cheaper, but not THAT much cheaper. Racing is expensive, regardless of the vehicle you're racing.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

ya i raced when i was younger. i was pretty good actually. Went to the world minis in vegas and trophied there qualified for loretta lynns but broke my collar bone. And then i broke it 2 more times in teh next 3 years. I just got tired of getting hurt. Ryan villopoto used to come to my local track a few times a year nice guy. He used to ride an 85 in the 125 intermediate and beat the crap out of them. Jake weimer used to ride at my local track quiet often too. A guy i know took him out and Jakes dad was pretty pissed off considering jake was 13 and the other guy(who i wont name) was like 30.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Raced expert class in BMX in 80s and early 90s. Probably went to 10-15 national events a year. Wasn't too bad... made my share of mains and beat quite a few full factory guys occassionally and did decent at the Grand Nationals.

Definitely paying the price for extreme sports though. Definitely don't bounce like I used too! RC has the same vibe and definitely allows me to live out my youth again without the injuries and pain.

Used to ride motocycles too, but nothing serious.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompetitionHeat View Post
Ascot... Your giving your age away, lol. I basically grew up at Ascot through the late 60's through the 70's and into the early 80's. It was for Sprint Car and Midget racing though. What an awesome place it was.
Ya 35 years old. We raced Friday night Motocross on a Motocross track built in the infield from like 84 until 90 when it closed, we would get over 300 bikes and over 1/4 of them were 80's. It was just like RC in Cali, you had to be fast to win. I remember hitting that TT jump in front of the grandstands at full wood on my KX 80, what a cool jump. PS Ascot also had a killer RC Car track next to the BMX track the last few years it was there.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced

Last edited by Marcus Falconie; 08-24-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Yeah I see Larry Ward at a lot of the events around the Southeast. He's a really nice guy. He's not to bad behind the wheel. He builds some insane r/c track, almost like mini moto tracks, but it has to be my favorite track I've been on.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlbracing View Post
Yeah I see Larry Ward at a lot of the events around the Southeast. He's a really nice guy. He's not to bad behind the wheel. He builds some insane r/c track, almost like mini moto tracks, but it has to be my favorite track I've been on.
I was watching the AMS race from Alabama on Live RC and watched Larry bump from the C to the B in Intermediate Buggy and was going to bump to the A until he had a Flameout.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
is he any good behind the wheel? lol
Last I heard he was sponsored by Mugen or AE or somebody....lol never seen him drive, but I imagine he's decent with an RC Rig.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Smile MX

+++ on the MX background, it sure does help in this hobby,helps you pick your lines,when & where to jump, 1/8 scale nitro is so much fun!!! I stopped riding many moons ago but throwing a roost and doing a power slide in rc is just as fun. I love MX but the real MX'ers are gone (not racing) De Coster, Hannah,Glover,Barnett, Lackey,"Magoo" Chandler,Bailey...these were "men" that would stradle their gonnads over a 490cc 2 stroke, not these 450 4 stroke crap from nowadays! This past march went to the PNB for the first time,I was like a kid in a candy store...smiling from ear to ear, the smell, the smoke,the sound reminded me so much of MX racing.Once you get Premix and dirt in your blood is hard to quit.
P.S. I miss my '76 Maico 250 & ' 83 YZ 250
Hitec HS-7955TG/5645MG - Stickman Batteries -Airtronics M11x
Traxxas Summit 1/10 on Gens Ace 2S lipos 5000mah
rotarynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #39
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

raced gncc quads for 4 years on the pro circut, too many injuries, too much money, too much commimitment. Rc is so much less stress full. That and being 21, married, and having college classes everyday, spending 3 months in a back brace with 8 compressed disks wasnt fun.
zr440#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarynut View Post
+++ on the MX background, it sure does help in this hobby,helps you pick your lines,when & where to jump, 1/8 scale nitro is so much fun!!! I stopped riding many moons ago but throwing a roost and doing a power slide in rc is just as fun. I love MX but the real MX'ers are gone (not racing) De Coster, Hannah,Glover,Barnett, Lackey,"Magoo" Chandler,Bailey...these were "men" that would stradle their gonnads over a 490cc 2 stroke, not these 450 4 stroke crap from nowadays! This past march went to the PNB for the first time,I was like a kid in a candy store...smiling from ear to ear, the smell, the smoke,the sound reminded me so much of MX racing.Once you get Premix and dirt in your blood is hard to quit.
P.S. I miss my '76 Maico 250 & ' 83 YZ 250
PNB was my first ever "big race" in RC and man o man did it remind me of the MX days. Just had a BLAST! I'll be back every year for sure now!

....but don't forget some of the current (or recently retired) MX guys were pretty darn good too! Long live the GOAT!
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Man there's alot of ex moto dudes on here. I broke my back in three places and busted my hip also in 08 at a vet national/Glen Helen. Been doing offroad 1/8 scale nitro racing every sense. It's not quite as fulfilling as moto was but it definately takes care of the racing needs and you will meet a lot of RC friends just like you had in moto.

Henchman racing
DX4R

Last edited by steve307b; 08-25-2010 at 05:49 PM.
steve307b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #42
Tech Elite

I have the same feelings steve! It's not as fulfilling as moto, but man o man it's as close as you can get without the ambulance rides after a wreck! The pits and people remind me of moto as much as the racing does, so I kind of fell into the sport with relative ease....feels like one big family at my local track for sure.

I do miss the series travel a bit though, but next season I might run the NC State Series to get that feeling back. Nothing like driving 4+ hours to get to the track while getting stuck in traffic and panicking the whole way thinking you will miss your moto. haha Gets you ramped up for the day in a hurry!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
You also got nascar drivers and other racing sports with people who race or run rc. Im not sure who exactly races but i know alot of nascar guys love to play with them. Now for me ive never done much racing, I done some bmx but not much. But i have been around quads and dirtbikes for a long time now. No bad carashes but i was ganna pick up kart racing but with parents not having the cash to keep it up i only got a lil practice. I did get ran over by a kart though causing a broken color bone, road rash and dislokated fingers.
Kyle Bush, Scott Speed used to run at our old indoor track on Wed. nights. Kurt Busch stopped by and raced once or twice and several truck drivers were regulars. Its hard for them to make any weekend races though.

I used to run carts and then cars, then I wadded up a Late Model in the track championships and started running r/c more. I still race every once in a while, but its not the same after the big crash.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #44
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i personally know justin barcia. he runs rc, i dont know about racing yet but he has a track at his house
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Justin is a good kid. I used to see him race in NY and sometimes New England when I ran NESC and NEMX up there....