R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
To start off. I would go ahead and get a race buggy to build, it helps, and don't get an all out race engine or a cheap one either. For example,

a Mugen, Associated, or losi or whatever buggy you choose is around 5-600 bucks...

Add an engine that you can learn to drive easier like a Nova .21Bf 3 port 150 bucks.
If you just want a super engine, get one for when your ready. It never hurts to romp on a 3 port and keep the sweet engine in good shape.....
7955 Hitech servo for steering and a fast lower priced servo for throttle

Dynamite 053 pipe 50 bucks

Airtronics mx-3x radio 200 bucks

You don't have to buy the most expensive stuff, but do get a good race buggy.....and a proven engine like Nova, werks...etc....If you really like OS then get the Ninja or wait for the new OS coming out soon I think.....
I couldn't agree more. That 3-port Nova is a great engine. No reason to get a $400 engine while you are still learning to tune. You probably won't be able to tune it to take advantage of that added HP, or you will burn it up trying. An old school racer once told me to not spend over $200 on an engine until I could consistently finish qualifiers without wrecking. A wreck or 2 during a qualifier will soak up any advantage a high-dollar engine might give you.

The one place where you really don't want to cut a corner on is servos. Do yourself a favor and get good servos from the start. Radio is also important, but just about any 2.4 gHz will be sufficient. The Spektrum DX 2.0 ($150) was my first radio after I got an 1/8th scale and I never had any issues with it. Only reason I got a DX3R was because my wife thought it looked cool and got one for me for Christmas.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthyfil View Post
Hi

Use to own a hotshot/Hornet years ago and really enjoyed the hobbie back then. Now that I've moved to Melb, and bored S***less... I thought I might take up the hobbie again. But wanna go Nitro

For a newbie to Nitro, what would you recommend for a first kit?
I want to get into competition racing eventually.

I'm thinking Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR and slowly learn about Nitro and hop up parts as I go

or

should I go spend the $ and get a decent kit for racing
Losi 8ight Race Roller
OS SPEED 21VZ-B V-SPEC II
DX3R + High Torque Servos?

Read alot of good reviews about Losi...thats why they are my first choice. Open for recommendations of other brands.
if you have the money, I would get the Losi RR setup, but I wont get the speed, grab the XPE and learn how to tune and stuff before you spend 500 on a engine
Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
To start off. I would go ahead and get a race buggy to build, it helps, and don't get an all out race engine or a cheap one either. For example,

a Mugen, Associated, or losi or whatever buggy you choose is around 5-600 bucks...

Add an engine that you can learn to drive easier like a Nova .21Bf 3 port 150 bucks.
If you just want a super engine, get one for when your ready. It never hurts to romp on a 3 port and keep the sweet engine in good shape.....
7955 Hitech servo for steering and a fast lower priced servo for throttle

Dynamite 053 pipe 50 bucks

Airtronics mx-3x radio 200 bucks

You don't have to buy the most expensive stuff, but do get a good race buggy.....and a proven engine like Nova, werks...etc....If you really like OS then get the Ninja or wait for the new OS coming out soon I think.....

I agree with merdetih6, if you are just stepping up first off find out your budget. See what your local hobby store stocks for parts or find an online retailer to use. A $200 2.4ghs airtronics,futaba or spektrum is fine, And the Nova n21r is a great engine and so is A b5 both under $200 bucks and as far as kits go , I would go with a hotbodies D8, they handle great and are competitive and half the price of the other kits($279), Buying a very expensive engine and chassis etc.. is not going to help you learn how to race. It will take some time and practice but stick with it, its a great hobby Just remember, there are a lot of different manufacturers out there choose what you like and have an open mind, there are a lot of people who think only one brand is good but, there are a lot of good options in the hobby now.

Lance

Triton RC- Ultra high performance racing engines
http://www.tritonrc.com/
Rcrenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Also I got the Futaba 2PL 2.4gHz Tx/Rx for 1 bill at my LHS. It performs flawlessly and has some really nice features so you can cut the price of that transmitter in half if you go that route.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i love how nobody ever mentioned the hotbodies d8 i come in 2nd and 3rd in the expert class at rc tracks all the time with my d8.just a couple of upgrades and its great. a good radio and some hitec servos and a clockwork racing Jl 21. thats a beast setup. oh yeah dont forget the FASTLINE-GRAPHIX.com
thebombster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebombster View Post
i love how nobody ever mentioned the hotbodies d8
See post #18
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hey i rembmer u niitro express from the gay rcuniverse that fourm sucks.
thebombster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Best Bang For The Buck !

Hot Bodies D8 with a Werks B6 2057 combo & Hitec 7955 throttle & brake servos.

I started 6 months ago as well and this was great because i was able to learn how to work on the car by the build and the Werks motor absolutely rips & will compete with any of the other high dollar motors on any level. It's very easy to break in and tuning is a breeze.

Hot Bodies D8 $299
Werks B6 $230
Hitec 7955 $115 x2
Ofna Truggy box $90
Lipo Battery 4 Starter Box $40
Rec. Battery $25
Spectrum Dx3s Radio with 2 receivers $249

Or you can buy the Spectrum Dx3e Radio with 1 receiver for $99
Slimsh8t is offline   Reply With Quote