R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #31
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
its the same persentage oil as byrons fuel ? i guess the ebmods website is lying then. i might me racing, this sunday and i did finally get my engine running better than it was so i will see how fast it is .

yea it does cost more, than byrons fuel but the main building is in pa and a lot of guys run it at my track. i just hate to competly retune a engine to run 30 % .
i never said they are the same oil content, i was saying they are almost the same, meaning you wont have to re-tune but maybe an hour or two on top at most.

also switching to 30%, you wont have to completely re-tune, ive switch back and forth and when i went from 20 to 30 i had to lean the top and bottom out 3 hours and i was done. you should try it, the engine will be SO much better and way faster. you are missing so much power out of that RB S5, that engine can hang with almost everything. i think youll like the engine way more and all... also what plug you running in that engine? you said you were having trouble tuning it, you wouldnt be running an RB plug would you?
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #32
cdc
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 386
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

RBs run alot better with 30%.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI4 - OS SPEED - KO RSx Servos - Futaba 4PX
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #33
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i never said they are the same oil content, i was saying they are almost the same, meaning you wont have to re-tune but maybe an hour or two on top at most.

also switching to 30%, you wont have to completely re-tune, ive switch back and forth and when i went from 20 to 30 i had to lean the top and bottom out 3 hours and i was done. you should try it, the engine will be SO much better and way faster. you are missing so much power out of that RB S5, that engine can hang with almost everything.


ok so you had to lean the top and botom end to out 3 turns ?
im just going, to burn the 20% off so i dont have a gallon laying around.

i only have about 2 mouths of racing left anyways.

i was kind of catching up, with the other truggy drivers with the 20% but with the new plug i was running a lot better i was passing guys in the corners and on the straights.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #34
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
RBs run alot better with 30%.

i know you told me before lol.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #35
Tech Addict
 
v6shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bakersfield ,CA
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I don't quite understand why guys will practice with a different engine than they run on race day? Dosent this make practice off? The car will handle different and respond different almost like it's 2 different cars? What's the point?
+1 maybe for seat time
v6shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #36
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i went down a tooth....
Don't the gearing all depend on were the power band is of the motor? Like if you have a motor with a lot of power down low gear up a tooth as it can pull it better. And if you have a motor like a 7 port gear down a tooth to get to the power band faster and easier.
Of coarse this all depends on the track and conditions too.
NitroFreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #37
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,175
Default

The 3 port will surprise you. It gives up a little on top but not as much as you might think.. I'd race one and do really well. It's a very good engine and for the money I would say it's awesome.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #38
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
ok so you had to lean the top and botom end to out 3 turns ?
im just going, to burn the 20% off so i dont have a gallon laying around.

i only have about 2 mouths of racing left anyways.

i was kind of catching up, with the other truggy drivers with the 20% but with the new plug i was running a lot better i was passing guys in the corners and on the straights.
yeah just had to lean both. also running 20% the tune was harder and the bottom was VERY weak.

but what plugs do you run?
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #39
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreak2 View Post
Don't the gearing all depend on were the power band is of the motor? Like if you have a motor with a lot of power down low gear up a tooth as it can pull it better. And if you have a motor like a 7 port gear down a tooth to get to the power band faster and easier.
Of coarse this all depends on the track and conditions too.
yes sir. but most people go up a tooth on these Novas but i had to go down. i like alot of bottom though. i even ran 1.1 springs. same with the Alpha engines, the green head engine i went down a tooth and ran 1.1 springs just to get the snap i wanted. i never go up a tooth, i either go down a tooth for tighter tracks or run stock gearing for long tracks.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #40
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
yeah just had to lean both. also running 20% the tune was harder and the bottom was VERY weak.

but what plugs do you run?

yea it is harder to lean, the bottom with 20 % but im still messing around with my clutch spring setups . and going to try a shorter header for now also . the top end pretty fast but i can lean it out more im only on my second gallon still.

im running a meduim 100# o donnell plug do you think i should try a hotter plug ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #41
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
yea it is harder to lean, the bottom with 20 % but im still messing around with my clutch spring setups . and going to try a shorter header for now also . the top end pretty fast but i can lean it out more im only on my second gallon still.

im running a meduim 100# o donnell plug do you think i should try a hotter plug ?
RB guys correct me if im wrong, but i think an OS #8 plug will be alot better.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #42
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
RB guys correct me if im wrong, but i think an OS #8 plug will be alot better.
thats a meduim plug, though just like im using does it seal better or something ?
i might try a, hotter odonnell plug i just get the odonnell plugs because they are a lot cheaper.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #43
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,175
Default

OS plugs are shorter. They do work but I would rather use Odonnell plugs or Nova Rossi plugs. I think it's the Nova Rossi #6 I usually use. It's a grey package. I wouldn't mind trying the Odonnell 100 plug.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #44
Tech Adept
 
triplebvalp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valparaiso, FL
Posts: 180
Default

I ran a Nova N21BF with 20% nitro, 053 pipe set, and a McCoy MC-59 plug for almost a year in my Jammin X2 CRT. Have over 8 gallons on it and have transferred it to my D8. She is still running strong.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #45
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
OS plugs are shorter. They do work but I would rather use Odonnell plugs or Nova Rossi plugs. I think it's the Nova Rossi #6 I usually use. It's a grey package. I wouldn't mind trying the Odonnell 100 plug.


the #100 odonnell plugs, are good just dont tune your engine too rich on the low end because the coils in the plug will go bad in no time.

hence thats proberty why there cheaper.
but the odonnell plugs, give a great constant idle but im going to try a hotter plug with my 20% too see if i get more punch .

it should burn better with a hotter plug.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SORMCC onroad racing black-knight Australian Racing 7011 11-09-2014 05:31 AM
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? Mr. McGoo Electric On-Road 722 11-01-2014 06:05 AM
New technology and club racing- has it thinned out classes? tc3team Electric On-Road 75 05-23-2008 01:16 PM
Agree or Disagree? - "club racing is now cheaper than it has ever been" Nexus Racing Electric On-Road 40 05-28-2007 05:33 PM
Has touring car for club racing turn-out been low in your area dawgmeat Electric On-Road 159 12-01-2006 08:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:37 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net