R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Why do I have no brakes?

Losi 8ight t 2.0. It has the newer design rotors. My linkage was setup perfect per losi addendum instructions. I run spektrum dx3s and the epa on the brake end is about 40%. I get some brake but not much. I'm running 9100T at throttle so torque isn't an issue. I'm alittle gun shy of upping the epa since losi's eat throttle servos. What is everyone else's epa on brake if running a spektrum(so they might somewhat compare to mine). I get my servo horn on straight as well.

I see some guy's run so much brake they could lock it up at WOT. Not quite looking for that but i do tend to drive using some push brake. Thanks.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Have you tried adjusting the brake knobs?

Your brake rod could be pushing the pads only a little.

I've known WD40 to cause some brake problems but goes away quite fast.

My epa is 50 or less I don't quite remember I don't use a whole lot of brake
Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am running 50 on my brake EP, and 40 on my throttle! If I increase my throttle EP up to 70 like the Losi DX3S radio setup PDF has, I have way too much throw. I get major rubbing on my body when I go full throttle.
Like the above poster said, try adjusting both front and rear knobs a couple turns at a time. I have spent some time trying to get my brakes fine tuned.

DX3S-LOSB0084.pdf
GO GX5R
Spektrum
josefmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To me the EPA seems abit low. I usually adjust it to stop right before it starts to move the radio tray when applied. It may shift the radio tray a mm or so, but it shouldn't move it too much. Any less than that and you aren't getting engough throw to apply the brakes. The brakes work on friction and without enough throw it won't build enough friction to stop your rc. You can also try adjusting the knobs but don't over do it. I'd start with the EPA, bump it up to 45 or 50% and see how it goes. You can roll the car on the ground and lock up the brakes to get a feel for its stopping power. Then adjust accordingly.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Tech Elite

My EPA is set just so the radio tray dont flex much........ Then I use brake control to adjust.........

my radio is set at 89% on brakes. I just all the torque my servo can dish out..
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Tech Adept

your break pads could have gotten oil on them or could have glazed over. the epa sounds good because that is all i ran in my losi when i had it, but you should also play with the knobs a bit to completely dial it all in.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Yeah at low speeds they feel ok but at higher speeds they don't work as well. Maybe i need to run alittle more epa. The stock settings were like 65% or something crazy. i just don't wanna burn up a servo!
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred0988 View Post
your break pads could have gotten oil on them or could have glazed over. the epa sounds good because that is all i ran in my losi when i had it, but you should also play with the knobs a bit to completely dial it all in.
Any good way to clean them? Like the metal shoes and the rotors?
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
Yeah at low speeds they feel ok but at higher speeds they don't work as well. Maybe i need to run alittle more epa. The stock settings were like 65% or something crazy. i just don't wanna burn up a servo!

adjust the brake collars, and follow what the manuel says and dont go farther than that or you will get brake drag. i had the same exact problem even though i had my, brake epa to 45 % and had clearance on the brake pads also clean the brake pads off, with motor spray and scuff them with sandpaper.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

65% isn't crazy, hell even 100% isn't crazy, thats what the radio and servo are suppose to operate at. 100% just means full throw. We turn them down to save wear and tear on the servos and to make them last longer, but alot of people don't use EPA or even know what it is.

If it feels good at 65% then run it at that. On brakes you will always have some servo noise when they are being used because they operate on friction, they are fighting the servo in order to create the friction to stop your vehicle.

Like i said above adjust it to you radio tray only moves slightly if possible, the less movement the better but also be sure your brakes operate correctly. A new radio tray is alot cheaper than broken parts if you don't get your vehicle stopped in time to avoid danger.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Brake cleaner is cheap and handy to have on hand. I use it if i get oil on the brake pads on accident. The oil i've used in the past has a habit of shooting out rapidly even if you only lightly press the trigger. Just squirt some brake cleaner on them and let it dry, then try the brakes again on the ground or run a tank of fuel through it using the brakes as often as you can. They'll lock up alittle better each time you apply them.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Tech Addict

So just clean the brakes with automotive brake parts cleaner? I can wipe down the pads and the black circular discs with it? Just want to make sure it won't ruin the material the discs are made out of. I have the newer thick ones.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

If you are worried you can just use some rubbing alcohol. That may at least save you a trip to the store to buy brake cleaner.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
This might sound silly, but I clean my brake rotors on my garage floor. Its a smooth finish floor, so I scuff the rotors on it then spray them off with brake cleaner.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote