Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chasing a noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Chasing a noise...

Alright ill give you guys the whole story as best i can. It started with a my Pro .28 in my ST-1 eating dirt and finishing out the engine completely (lost all of the compression of the little it had left). I ordered my B5 and while waiting for it to get here i put in a sleeve and piston that was also low on compression but modded by a friend of mine just to try it in the .28 and it made a lot of power! but it developed a noise like a bearing going out or a clutch slipping... I changed out the the rear diff and rear wheel bearings to start with and replaced the entire clutch before the engine ate the dirt and started making the noise. I thought it was the engine bearings as im sure i didnt get all of the dirt out of them but when i put in the B5 the noise was there still. Ive narrowed it down to center diff or clutch problems but cant seem to figure out which. Its an AE clutch with Thunder Tiger aluminum shoes and an AE clutch bell, all brand new. I switched to some carbons and it didnt change anything. Played with the mesh and didnt change anything. Im gunna order more bearings so i can replace the entire drive train but what i want to know is is there such a thing as too much power for a 3 shoe clutch? Is it possible that the modded sleeve and the B5 just has too much power for that clutch and i need to go to a 4 shoe setup now? No one at the track is sure what it is anymore so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Is it a high pitch noise or a grinding? If it's a high pitch, have you replaced all fuel line and checked the tank for any leaks?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Its definitely not a grinding sound... It starts out low pitched once the clutch engages and gets higher as the speed increases in the drive train. Its also more noticeable if the truggy is running on the ground then on the box.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Prophet

it sounds like its, ethier like a to loose of a gear mesh how do the teeth look like on the bell ?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Its a brand new clutch bell so the teeth are like new and ive played with the mesh back and forth and it doesnt change the sound at all. I just want to know if it would be worth it to order a 4 shoe clutch with my bearings if that is a possible problem.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Bengsch85
Its a brand new clutch bell so the teeth are like new and ive played with the mesh back and forth and it doesnt change the sound at all. I just want to know if it would be worth it to order a 4 shoe clutch with my bearings if that is a possible problem.

yes i would say, its worth getting a 4 shoe clutch but it is more matience.
are the clutch bearings ok ?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

check your cvd's and drive shafts
Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds like slipping shoes or bad mesh in one of your diffs. I have had that exact same sound before, sounds like an electric high pitch whirling right under the sound of the engine? I am pretty sure it's the clutch shoes slipping. You need to get a sanding drum on a dremmel and sand out your clutch bell. Hard shoes will do it more then softer ones. If you have big time grooves in your bell or grease coming out your clutch bearing (can happen). Also check the pins on the flywheel and make sure there not notched out real bad.

And a 3 shoe clutch can work very well if maintained properly.

Last edited by dreaux; 08-22-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Sadly with 8th scale nitro, it could be a number of things causing the noise. Best bet would be to tear down the truck, rebuild and replace anything worn like bearings, cvd's, brake pads etc etc. Then see where you are at.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry, just realized you said your clutch was new. Check the mesh on your diffs. It is probably to tight
Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

A 3 shoe clutch is no issue i always run 3 shoe but if the noise only started after the modded pisont/sleeve was installed its not the car. If you havent rebuilt the car it can be dry diffs will make screaching noise, bearings can be bad in diff cups causing pinion and diff to lock making screaching noise, and it can be the engines bearings taking a dump. I would rebuild the car by any bearings going bad buy new Avid bearings there only a dollar then put new oils in ur diffs and the noise shouldnt be the car. Now if its the engine it can be because when a sleeve is modded it causes big changes to performance and can harm the engine causing verious noises to occur like pinging and all.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

Sounds to me like the spider gears inside one of your diff cases. I have had the same sound and that is exactly what it was. Now its just finding out which diff case it is. Start with the center, but if you take one apart, you might as well do all 3.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Like i said tho i thought originally it was the modded engine but then i put the new B5 in and the noise was still there so that eliminates the engine. Ive isolated it to the center diff or the clutch and based on how sudden it started im thinking a bearing in the center diff went. Ill tear it down tonight and see what i find. Bearings wont come till wednesday so ill test run it at our practice night thursday then. Thanks for all the info guys and ill let you know what i find!!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

sounds like ring and pinion mesh, or they are worn. check the mesh and grease the gears
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

So i tore it down and found the problem in the front differential. The input shaft bearing is going out and making alot of noise as i roll it with my fingers. Ill rebuild it tomorrow and replace all of the bearings and see how it runs then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.