Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
BUDGET
I just do it. if I was to stop and think how much
I spend on these toy cars it would scare me
you can't put a price on having fun with friends
No crap......... god forbid my wife to actually calculate how much i have spent this year..
Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is my 2nd year in the hobby. Last year I went crazy and bought about 8 Kit's, (but mostly RTR and cheap ones). I have since sold most of them and this year I bought 4 nice its which allows me to run in 3 classes. SC 2wd, SC4wd, Elect buggy and nitro buggy. Costs have been down a lot since I now know what I am doing and what I need to buy to keep things right and tight.
Eagletal88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just staying away from the small purchases, it the nickle and dime (or $5 and $10 in this hobby) that will surprise you.

It's always cheaper than full scale racing was. Used to run Late Models and we would spend $500 or more before we unloaded the car.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
BUDGET
I just do it. if I was to stop and think how much
I spend on these toy cars it would scare me
you can't put a price on having fun with friends
Except for those title sct trucks we built. I blew that one out of the water for you and the race we built them for still hasn't run after bing cancelled. When I went to do my taxes earlier this year I was shocked at how much I spent last year. I could have bought a full sized car. Lol. I bought 2 kits last year and then went crazy with speed engines. I try to limit myself to a certain $$ per week but sometimes that's just not realistic. Tires cost $$ and that's the single best tuning tool there is. Parts break and need replacing. And when something new comes out I just can't resist. I gotta atmleast try it. Like these new lipo glow ignightors. I gotta try them and why try 1 when you really need 2.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #35
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Except for those title sct trucks we built. I blew that one out of the water for you and the race we built them for still hasn't run after bing cancelled. When I went to do my taxes earlier this year I was shocked at how much I spent last year. I could have bought a full sized car. Lol. I bought 2 kits last year and then went crazy with speed engines. I try to limit myself to a certain $$ per week but sometimes that's just not realistic. Tires cost $$ and that's the single best tuning tool there is. Parts break and need replacing. And when something new comes out I just can't resist. I gotta atmleast try it. Like these new lipo glow ignightors. I gotta try them and why try 1 when you really need 2.

thats why i try, to stay away from blue grove tracks so my tires last.
i do try to stay, away from whats new out there to buy and get a engine thats around $200 to almost $300 .

and run basic, things i need not things i dont need but thats me.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #36
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
ya but those little trucks make me smile hay we will have fun at the pit with them In Feb.
and I like that why by one when you can get two
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default budget

Budget whats that ? I spend more money on real gas and motels every weekend to go racing. The track I race at is 490 miles round trip. closest track is 440 miles round trip. If my wife new what i spent a year on rc. I'd be planted in the middle of the table top. But hey you only live once,And you cant beat hanging out with good friends. And the racing is worth every penny,Plus some.
Serpent S11T Losi ten scte Houston Tuned Team Toronero 2084 ss, plus 4 team 9901 ss pipe Hitech servos Proline tires SPONSORS T@T MOTOR SPORTS AND SKIDOO racing TEAM TERRIBLES,And finally my wallet.In Memory of my Boy Brian!
teamlosi906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't keep track of costs. Each purchase/expense is based on can I afford it/is it necessary. The good part about my situation is that my wife also races, so it's not like she's watching my purchases like a hawk. Right now we are both out of work.............man the savings are taking a beating. But my home business helps a little.

A couple years ago we were at the local bar-n-grill for dinner and the fella next to us overheard us talking about racing. He asked what we raced. When I told him we race R/C he said "You're nuts! You spend so much on toys?" I asked him if he had a fishing boat. He said he had a bass boat (the $20K kind). I asked him if he was a hunter. Yup. I asked him if he had a snowmobile. Yup.
I said "and you think I'm nuts?"
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Frank, will you sponsor me?
Team RcRenew...visit us at rcrenew.com!
Triton RC Alpha Plus Engines
rcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A year or so ago I calculated my costs for 3 different classes racing them in a season of racing. I figured an outdoor season typically lasted about 9 mo with on average of 3 races a month.

Here is a link to those calculations. Be mindful that I just used tower and horizon hobby prices and you can down grade the products to get costs down. I just used those prices a baseline.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...nc&hl=en#gid=0

Out of all my years of racing 1/10th 2wd buggy/truck has simply been the cheapest for me. CORR Truck a very close 2nd. 1/8th by far the most expensive.

Also one other thing to note, I've found 1/8th Electric to be far more expensive than what I estimated. This is due to 1/8th electronics do not yet seem to have the life span as their 1/10th counter parts but are WAY better than they was even 6 mo ago.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
no budget - just do it
+1
Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I really don't have a budget and what I spend each year is way too much, but I figure if I don't add it up, I won't freak out.

I have found this year to be cheaper than previous years. I have bought so much stuff over the years, that there really isn't much I need to keep my cars running for races these days except for tires and a few misc parts. I figure I spend $100-$200/mo on parts and entry fees at most now.

I found most of my spending was actually on non race stuff the past three years - batteries, tools, tool boxes, chargers, etc. Now that I have all that stuff, the pain has been a lot easier on the wallet.

Every year I buy a couple of new lipos, a few tools, and one or two new kits (truggy & buggy).

Tires are the most expensive money pit I found. If a mfg could come out with a tire that last a long time and or were uber cheap, they would make a ton. It shouldn't cost 60 bucks to put tires on a toy car that in some cases will only last one race or if you are lucky 3 or 4.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #43
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
I really don't have a budget and what I spend each year is way too much, but I figure if I don't add it up, I won't freak out.

I have found this year to be cheaper than previous years. I have bought so much stuff over the years, that there really isn't much I need to keep my cars running for races these days except for tires and a few misc parts. I figure I spend $100-$200/mo on parts and entry fees at most now.

I found most of my spending was actually on non race stuff the past three years - batteries, tools, tool boxes, chargers, etc. Now that I have all that stuff, the pain has been a lot easier on the wallet.

Every year I buy a couple of new lipos, a few tools, and one or two new kits (truggy & buggy).

Tires are the most expensive money pit I found. If a mfg could come out with a tire that last a long time and or were uber cheap, they would make a ton. It shouldn't cost 60 bucks to put tires on a toy car that in some cases will only last one race or if you are lucky 3 or 4.

i been running, aka city block tires on my nitro truggy for more than 4 runs and still have enough tread on them to last about one more race.

and i do race on a hard red dusty clay surface.

im guessing that 1/8 electric is ruff on tires ?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i been running, aka city block tires on my nitro truggy for more than 4 runs and still have enough tread on them to last about one more race.

and i do race on a hard red dusty clay surface.

im guessing that 1/8 electric is ruff on tires ?

I usually run AKA City Blocks & I-Beams along with Calibers. Those three seem to work at all the out door tracks I frequent. Right now I am getting about 3 race days on hard compound. However, there are some times they are shot after one or two races. I don't think Electric is any harder on tires from what I can tell. Definitely need fresh tires though to be more competitive.

I actually love it when indoor season comes because the tires pretty much last all winter. I can run on two sets of tires the entire season. The rims/glue wear out faster than the rubber.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #45
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
I usually run AKA City Blocks & I-Beams along with Calibers. Those three seem to work at all the out door tracks I frequent. Right now I am getting about 3 race days on hard compound. However, there are some times they are shot after one or two races. I don't think Electric is any harder on tires from what I can tell. Definitely need fresh tires though to be more competitive.

I actually love it when indoor season comes because the tires pretty much last all winter. I can run on two sets of tires the entire season. The rims/glue wear out faster than the rubber.

well than i must depend, on the driver than if you drive like a drifter on the dirt than they wont last . im kind of smooth but i do blip the throttle a bit into the corner, to keep the rmps up but my tires seem to still have enough grip.

what kind of dirt do you run on ? do you skid your tires when you brake i know that doesnt help much on tire wear.