Waterproof

Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Waterproof

Is there any way that I can waterproof my nitro truck?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can waterproof the electronics with liquid electrical tape. Thats really about as much as you can do. It'll be good enough for most mud puddles, but you don't want to submerge the engine/air intake/exhaust. I learned that the hard way about a month ago. I was driving in new territory near a pond and didn't see that there was a creek running into it. Needless to say my truck ended up submerged to the top of the body and i had to take th engine apart and clean out all the water. It also managed to get dirt and water in the fuel tank, so i had to clean out the fuel lines, exhaust pipe, and etc at the same time. RC Nitros are alot like camels, they don't need much water!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Lord

Put the car in an airtight plastic bag and tied up the end ?

100% waterproof is difficult but with all electronics in the receiver box you have to use some kit to secure the closing lid and close the opening for the cables.
Wth the servo's you can do the same, open the houding and mount all housing parts back with some kit on the edges and the rubber outlet. Use some extra greese arround the servo shaft and the servo is ready for the use with water.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

electronics can be waterproof but if you nitro goes from 220 degrees hitting water around 70 degrees it can really cause damage to the engine. Also theres no point in a waterproof nitro just buy a slash 4x4 and be done with it!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A tip i picked up several years ago was to put the servos in balloons and trim a hole for the servo spline. That will keep the water out of them, but todays servos need air to cool them down or else they could overheat. This was about 10 years ago when i picked up this tip and 100+oz servos were still pretty rare in the rc world.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

The best way is, not to get in water...... unless its a boat, water is bad for RC