http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=4247
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

pictures updated
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Tech Master

I've ran the Reedy 121VR engine yesterday on a very loose and dusty track. The engine is installed in a RC8T CE with 8mm carb insert and AE 2039 tuned pipe. I got 9 minutes of runtime with engine temp at 210F tank after tank. No flame out and can idle all day long The engine was running a little on the rich side.

The engine had no problem to keep up with others engines with higher number of ports. Only have problem with electric buggies that were a bit too fast.

Combined to the AE 2039, the engine have good torque and good RPM. This is definitively the pipe to have for this engine.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Wow, I'm really suprised at the temps your getting. Most of the people I've talked to while engine shopping say this motor likes the heat. One pro racer said he was running it at 260-270 for club level and as high as 280+ for big events. I have no experience with the motor but he was running the 2035 with it... Have you tried that pipe on it?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
Wow, I'm really suprised at the temps your getting. Most of the people I've talked to while engine shopping say this motor likes the heat. One pro racer said he was running it at 260-270 for club level and as high as 280+ for big events. I have no experience with the motor but he was running the 2035 with it... Have you tried that pipe on it?
I know! I was also surprised by the temp. I know racers run this engine in the 270F. I didn't feel the need to lean the engine. Performances were right for the track condition. More power will have result in slow lap time I think

Yes, I've tried the 2035 tuned pipe, less top end with that pipe. I really prefer the 2039.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Ive notice from mine, and others also.. The Reedy likes to run great at 250-270! Maifield runs his about 250-260 too
Old 08-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Do you think this affects the life on these? Through my shopping I've been looking at the ODO, the Reedy, Nova's, Alpha's, Picco's, even the PR motor. I just want a decent motor that's tuner friendly, holds a tune, and gets over 5 gallons with out changing rods and bearings all the time. Is that too much to ask of one of these engines? I'm not sponsored or rich, just a weekend warrior, looking for something reliable. They all sound so good to read about them. I really don't know where to go and I don't know what's the truth cause you never get a straight answer.... It's driving me bonkers! Anyone with experience with multiple engines please feel free to PM me with some straight talk. I won't tell on you....
Old 08-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-Over View Post
Do you think this affects the life on these? Through my shopping I've been looking at the ODO, the Reedy, Nova's, Alpha's, Picco's, even the PR motor. I just want a decent motor that's tuner friendly, holds a tune, and gets over 5 gallons with out changing rods and bearings all the time. Is that too much to ask of one of these engines? I'm not sponsored or rich, just a weekend warrior, looking for something reliable. They all sound so good to read about them. I really don't know where to go and I don't know what's the truth cause you never get a straight answer.... It's driving me bonkers! Anyone with experience with multiple engines please feel free to PM me with some straight talk. I won't tell on you....

rb and, nova engines are the way too go there very relible and start right up almost all the time. but they can be a pain to break in
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Agreed, no one beats Nova for trouble free durability. A few come close to matching them, but no one beats them.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Tech Master

I had few NR engines in the past and you're right, Novarossi and RB are GREAT engines but they can be difficult to tune for someone new to nitro engines.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
I had few NR engines in the past and you're right, Novarossi and RB are GREAT engines but they can be difficult to tune for someone new to nitro engines.

yea they, can be but im still learning tuning engines and i can get it to run and start up right away but the thing that whould be hard. with a beginner is that they, are very tight and the factory settings are too rich so they whould have to mess with the needles.

but i think, there not to hard to tune when your on the second gallon espially .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
Tech Master

I still have my NR engine, it is now my spare engine. But for now, the Reedy is doing extremely well so it have all my attention and fuel....

About the amount of new engines on the market, this is totally crazy. Almost one new brand every month or so. They are all cheaper and perform well (from what we can read on forums). I wonder what the engine market will look like in a year!

Anyone knows if there is a Canadian distributor for these engines? That will be nice to test one before winter..