Wiki Posts
Search

RC Sponsor

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 02maxima18
A hobby shop sponsor is your best sponsor, many different brands to choose from your not tied to just one. You also wontt have to run expert/pro classes, with a chassis sponsor you have to run expert/pro classes, most places and people will require you run them, and especially your sponsor.

Andy
yeah jbrl sportsman points winner last season got a amainhobby.com sponsor with like 25% off all but kits i think. I would love that sponsor.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
yeah jbrl sportsman points winner last season got a amainhobby.com sponsor with like 25% off all but kits i think. I would love that sponsor.

ohh so you get discounts for sponsors i have bought all of my stuff fdrom amain hobbies they are really great
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Shadowhope
ohh so you get discounts for sponsors i have bought all of my stuff fdrom amain hobbies they are really great
yeah a sponsor is discount mostly any sponsored drivers normally pay somthing other than A team drivers but those are top pros, all others are b team and under which is like 50% and under sponsors.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Tech Regular

Well here are some other things that help:

1. Race
b. Practice
2. Race
c. Practice
3. Race
d. Practice
4. Race and keep results, compile a race resume
5. Obviously as is covered on underground, be nice, be someone that they would want to sponsor, be helpful here and on the track
6. Browse the websites, some have links for sponsorship details, I know Byron had a really good program that paid out for races, check them out.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The first and foremost thing about being a sponsored driver is that you are a EMPLOYEE of said company. They are offering goods/services for your time and efforts at the race track.

I used to race for the AE Team, back when Mike Reedy signed you up and sat you down for a long conversation about why you want to be at that level and ask you what it means to be a representative of their company.

One part of the job is brining support to your local racers. You will probably have to be a bit of a part supplier to the racers. If a regular guy broke a arm, spur gear, etc... he may have to come to you for it. Most of the companies are pretty good about just re-embursing you for a part you gave to a local. It's a win-win for all 3 parties, cause the customer is happy he got some help, the company is glad their customer got taken care of, and the driver is happy because he gets support. When I drove for AE, you were expected to take a part off of your car if you could find a way to keep racing.

Second part is technical support. I have seen SO many "Team" drivers who don't share the time of day for a guy having a tune issue or setup issue. Part of doing this job is showing up earlier than everyone else and making yourself available to those racers who are struggling. In my mind one has to be open minded and not sound like a "know it all", because these people are CUSTOMERS! Know not just the bad, but the GOOD about the other competitive products. Bad-mouthing a competitive car, engine, tires etc... will just burn bridges and paint you as a guy who only has his intesntions in his mind. Go help a guy who has a different brand car, you might actually see some stuff to make you go faster!

Third is exposure and results. You have to be at the bigger races in your area. Like a larger series, and your local Regional races (all be it ROAR or R/C Pro). Results are important, but if you show and put up a good image with decent results it will land you some good support. And you have to make at least ONE (or more) national-level event each year.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Learning how to spell Sponsor would be a help as well
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 02maxima18
A hobby shop sponsor is your best sponsor, many different brands to choose from your not tied to just one. You also wontt have to run expert/pro classes, with a chassis sponsor you have to run expert/pro classes, most places and people will require you run them, and especially your sponsor.

Andy
+1, it's the best help a sportsman driver can get, off the track.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLHX1550
The first and foremost thing about being a sponsored driver is that you are a EMPLOYEE of said company. They are offering goods/services for your time and efforts at the race track.

I used to race for the AE Team, back when Mike Reedy signed you up and sat you down for a long conversation about why you want to be at that level and ask you what it means to be a representative of their company.

One part of the job is brining support to your local racers. You will probably have to be a bit of a part supplier to the racers. If a regular guy broke a arm, spur gear, etc... he may have to come to you for it. Most of the companies are pretty good about just re-embursing you for a part you gave to a local. It's a win-win for all 3 parties, cause the customer is happy he got some help, the company is glad their customer got taken care of, and the driver is happy because he gets support. When I drove for AE, you were expected to take a part off of your car if you could find a way to keep racing.

Second part is technical support. I have seen SO many "Team" drivers who don't share the time of day for a guy having a tune issue or setup issue. Part of doing this job is showing up earlier than everyone else and making yourself available to those racers who are struggling. In my mind one has to be open minded and not sound like a "know it all", because these people are CUSTOMERS! Know not just the bad, but the GOOD about the other competitive products. Bad-mouthing a competitive car, engine, tires etc... will just burn bridges and paint you as a guy who only has his intesntions in his mind. Go help a guy who has a different brand car, you might actually see some stuff to make you go faster!

Third is exposure and results. You have to be at the bigger races in your area. Like a larger series, and your local Regional races (all be it ROAR or R/C Pro). Results are important, but if you show and put up a good image with decent results it will land you some good support. And you have to make at least ONE (or more) national-level event each year.

+1. Well said....
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FLHX1550

+1 from me aswell.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MadRussian
Learning how to spell Sponsor would be a help as well
typo i know how to spell
Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Volunteer...

In one word. Long story......
Basically, help out in any way you can. If you're vehicle is good to go 'til the next qual, ask another driver if you can help pit for their qual. If marshalls are being called for, go out n help, and grab a water hose while your out there. After some time getting to know folks, and your LHS owner, word will get out that you're good, trust worthy people and that you're not out just for your own interests. I've followed this recipe and have been blessed with a few sponsor offers over the years. I'm a D main driver, normally, though I occasionally have a good day like this past w/end I qual'd 10th A, finished 5th. My point being, it's not my racing results that have garnered people to notice me. Also, when you have bad days suck it up, and move on. I have unfortunately had a few issues lately where I have let my frustrations show...I have truly been blessed that the folks that know me are forgiving. Lesson here, don't be like me :P
Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So shadow....are you fast? In a clean kinda' way?

I like you. You've got promise....
Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cordarrow
So shadow....are you fast? In a clean kinda' way?

I like you. You've got promise....
Hes new and just has questions like normall people and he was wondering what it took to become a sposored driver, but its kinda mean to see a few people bashing him.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Curse alot, yell at turnmarshalls, throw your car when you break or flameout, never give setup tips, never help newbs, drive rough and most importantly remember that if you dont win its not your fault its the Car,engine,servos,tires and make sure to let everyone in the pits hear how much the products you use suck.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

kinda mean to see a few people bashing him.
NitX can REALLY read people....LOLOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.